"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 AM   #21
Master Chef
Taxy, what is "batchelor surprise"? I've never heard that term, and the first thing that came up on Google was a can of Campbell's soup mixed with a can of water.

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
If I used whole milk and yukon golds rather than heavy cream and russets,
would that freeze okay ya think?
Or, maybe you could take half of the "soup" from the pot before you add the potatoes and cream, freeze that, and finish off what is left in the pot for that night's dinner. When you want to use the other half of the soup, after you defrost and heat it you could then add in your potatoes and cream. Just a thought.

By the time I got around to fixing the veggies, I lost my taste for butternut. Tossed some carrots into the oven instead. I got a 5# bag of the things for $1.99 a couple of weeks back and they are HUGE! Not much for eating fresh, but they roast up beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-08 19.59.27.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	23946  

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 AM   #22
Certified Cake Maniac
I had perogies with a little bit of butter, cheese and green onion.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
My mom is visiting because my stepfather had surgery Monday at a hospital that is closer to my house than hers. DH was teaching his grad class last night so my mom and I had butternut squash soup I had made the day before and salads. She had leftover sloppy Joe and I had a plate of nachos. I warmed up leftover stuffed shells for DH to eat when he got home.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #24
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Zuppa Toscana ala Olive Garden!
If I used whole milk and yukon golds rather than heavy cream and russets,
would that freeze okay ya think?
I make it without milk or cream and add a tablespoon of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese to each bowl. The cheese melts and gives the soup a milky appearance without adding carbs.

I agree with the others I would use beans or leave out the starch if I was going to freeze the soup.

No matter how you make it, it's is a great soup for a cold night!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
CG, bachelor surprise is my friend's name for a dish made of leftover vegis, leftover meat or ground beef, a chopped onion, and rice (or leftover pasta) and stir fried. I make it with frozen, mixed vegis (preferably a stir fry mix) and ground beef, plus the onion and the rice. I season it with a lot of sesame seeds and some tamari. We have tried to give it another name, but bachelor surprise just sticks.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote