What's for dinner..Wed. April 27, 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I have Kalua Pig in the Nesco Roaster cooking low and slow. We'll do the usual sides of cooked cabbage and steamed Jasmine rice for the SC.

What's on your menu?

I made chicken and veggie stir fry with jasmine rice on the side

TJ's flounder with crab meat stuffing, creamed spinach and a salad.

The IQF stuffed flounder was tasty but in order to be sure the stuffing is up to temp you need to overcook the fish, I would say it was good not great.

Later in the week I will try the TJ's cod fillets. The fillets are not IQF. I was able to rummage around in the frozen food case and find two fillets, of equal size, in a package that weighed .66 pounds. That is enough for two meals with a salad and sides.

I have Kalua Pig in the Nesco Roaster cooking low and slow. We'll do the usual sides of cooked cabbage and steamed Jasmine rice for the SC.

What's on your menu?

K, I'd love to see a photo of your version of Kalua Pig and Cabbage with Rice!
kalua pig and lomi.jpg
[file photo:Kalua Pig with Cabbage and Lomi Lomi Salmon]

We have been un~believe~ably BUSY!
What with getting everything in order to move,
so, tonight was a quick yet tasty meal...
husband : "what's for dinner?"
me : "stir fry"
husband : "what? again?"
010.JPG
Trader Joe's Asian Vegetable Stir Fry with Beijing Style Soy Sauce
thinned a bit with some water and I added some diced, sauteed b/s Chicken thighs all served over steamed White Rice,
so easy, so quick ...
husband : "MMM, this is good!"
me : "yup"
husband : "you haven't made this before"
me : "yes, all the time"
:rolleyes:

Beans are in the crock pot now. I'm just going to have bean burritos for supper. I have a little shredded lettuce and cheese I need to use up. I just wish I had some more of those delicious cherry tomatoes. Maybe this Sunday I can get some again.

Kgirl, my plate will be too "picture bland" without the colorful Lomi Lomi salmon. Wish I had some! Sure smells like an Imu in this house right now. Drooling.

Bea, I'm glad you had some luck with TJ's fish.

Last edited:
A couple of tacos again this afternoon. Never get tired of them. :yum: Sliced avocado sprinkled with lime juice and Arizona Dreaming on the side.

Didn't get home from Lowe's (and Aldi) until late, so we cleaned up the leftovers, such as they were. I'm plenty full from the last of the sausage/peppers/onions on polenta, Himself wished there was more chicken/wild rice/mushroom soup left from last night. At least we picked up a baguette - I heated a guy-size chunk and he's happy. For now. Hey, he can always have fruit!

Old family favorite tonight - Ralph (named by DW and siblings when they were children).

The original was baked in a casserole dish, and brought home by DMIL. I modified it to cook on top of the stove in a covered saucepan. It's kind of like a chicken-rice casserole, with veggies and ground beef thrown in for good measure. Sometimes I'll add carrot to it as well. Here's the recipe. This dish, for using Lipton's chicken soup, is delicious and i'm happy to share it.

History:
This dish is a wonderful main course any time of the year. It is flavorful without being overpowering. It is a true comfort food. Ralph was introduced to me by my wife, shortly after we married. I loved it at first bite. It originated in my mother-in-law’s kitchen, where she used it to feed four children and a husband with a huge appetite. It was enjoyed by all. It didn’t have a name, so one evening, at least in the story I was told, the question was put forth at the dinner table for a name. My wife, little rascal that she was at the time, piped up, “Ralph”. The rest is history. Oh, and I like to add ground thyme to mine, but on my plate as DW doesn't like the thyme. And pepper is a good addition as well. If you make it with beef bullion and vermicelli noodles instead of Liptons Chicken Soup with Chicken, I call it Norton, as in Ralph and Norton from "The Honeymooners.

Full Batch, Original Recipe Ingredients:
4 ½ cups water
2 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 cup Long Grain Rice
1 cup Chopped Celery
¼ cup Slivered Almonds (optional)
1 Onion, diced
2 lbs. Ground beef, browned

Place all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Test to make sure the rice is done. Serve.

Modified for a family of 4 to 5
Ingredients:
2/3 cup long grain rice
2 ¾ cup water
1 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 ½ lbs. Ground beef, browned
1 stalk Celery, sliced
¾ cup diced Onion
2 tbs. butter.

Combine all ingredients into a suitable pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Serve with soft butter on top.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mmmm....looks good, kgirl!

+1 Kay...Chief, it's good to see you on the dinner thread, and your recipe sounds like something I would really like - down home comfort food. :yum: Thank you for sharing.

Chief, I agree that your "Ralph" sounds yummy. You DO know it will get lost forever if it's left to nap in the dinner thread, though, don't you? So that we can find it again, how about you add it to the Casseroles sub-forum too? And thank you.

Kgirl, my plate will be too "picture bland" without the colorful Lomi Lomi salmon. Wish I had some! Sure smells like an Imu in this house right now. Drooling.

Don't you just love that smell?
K, ya know, I think I made mention in the dinner thread about a week ago I think it was, that I made Kalua Pig and Cabbage and can you believe that my husband actually said that he was tired of it?! :ohmy: GASP!
Lomi is soooooooo easy, but it just needs time, I'll share that recipe in a separate thread ...

Don't you just love that smell?
K, ya know, I think I made mention in the dinner thread about a week ago I think it was, that I made Kalua Pig and Cabbage and can you believe that my husband actually said that he was tired of it?! :ohmy: GASP!
Lomi is soooooooo easy, but it just needs time, I'll share that recipe in a separate thread ...

No way that would happen here! Since I didn't take a food pic, thought I'd show others how simple Kalua Pig is at our house. Just a pork shoulder and this...
img_1464616_0_a6ec71c7a83ef192fee6b386ec4ef792.jpg

Back
Top Bottom