"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Plans changed. On the way out of town to pick up our gluten free bread we were "this close" to being rear-ended by a speeding car while we were almost stopped. He slammed on his E-brake, swerved and instead went into the back end of a flat bed tow truck (that had a car on it). I saw the whole thing in the passenger mirror, very scary. No one was badly hurt, but the young man who caused it was pretty shaken up....so were we!

So, we got to the bakery late and had them make up sandwiches so we could eat on the way back as TB has to go to work soon.

We will have the salmon tomorrow.
Yikes!!

Yes, salmon tomorrow!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Head Chef

Wow, that was a close run thing LPB! Glad you are okay (and nobody else suffered any major injuries). Not surprised it ruined your plans!

I had the smoked tuna salad I mentioned yesterday, along with anything else I could find in the fridge - so it was lettuce, cooked beetroot, boiled egg, boiled Charlotte potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes. I made a dressing with red wine vinegar, EVOO, grated garlic, sugar and finely chopped mint and parsley.

Oh and I made some blueberry butterfly cakes as well. (They are to share with colleagues tomorrow though - so I only had one - for quality control purposes, naturally!)

Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Master Chef

No cooking tonight, went and got us some Maid Rites and fries.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Wow, that was a close run thing LPB! Glad you are okay (and nobody else suffered any major injuries). Not surprised it ruined your plans!

I had the smoked tuna salad I mentioned yesterday, along with anything else I could find in the fridge - so it was lettuce, cooked beetroot, boiled egg, boiled Charlotte potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes. I made a dressing with red wine vinegar, EVOO, grated garlic, sugar and finely chopped mint and parsley.

Oh and I made some blueberry butterfly cakes as well. (They are to share with colleagues tomorrow though - so I only had one - for quality control purposes, naturally!)
Sounds lovely Katy
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Plans changed. On the way out of town to pick up our gluten free bread we were "this close" to being rear-ended by a speeding car while we were almost stopped. He slammed on his E-brake, swerved and instead went into the back end of a flat bed tow truck (that had a car on it). I saw the whole thing in the passenger mirror, very scary. No one was badly hurt, but the young man who caused it was pretty shaken up....so were we!

So, we got to the bakery late and had them make up sandwiches so we could eat on the way back as TB has to go to work soon.

We will have the salmon tomorrow.
I'm glad to hear that you are alright, albeit shaken. Thank goodness he remembered the emergency brake. I bet lots of folks forget it exists.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Too hot to cook and I can't trust that the power won't go out while I was cooking, so we ordered from Bofinger, a local "Southern style BBQ" resto. They make some really good ribs. Stirling ordered a sausage sandwich with fries, and I ordered beef ribs with bean salad.

Gotta run, the food is here.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Tonight I made an awesome dinner. Flanken cut short ribs cooked for hours with onions, garlic, new potatoes, butter beans, topped with roasted peppers. . Used the broth it cooked in to cook cous cous. Yummy
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Too hot to cook and I can't trust that the power won't go out while I was cooking, so we ordered from Bofinger, a local "Southern style BBQ" resto. They make some really good ribs. Stirling ordered a sausage sandwich with fries, and I ordered beef ribs with bean salad.

Gotta run, the food is here.
Oh yeah, that was yummy and I have two ribs left for snacking. We were out of beer and wine, so we had Margaritas with supper. <hick>
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
Head Chef

Tonight is Orange Chicken with lots of spices. Basmati rice and asparagus on the side.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

It's Wednesday - dinner out with friends night. It's also Restaurant Week in Norfolk, so we went to a wonderful restaurant that has consistently great food. I had pork/shrimp spring rolls with two sauces, seasoned grilled mahi mahi with corn/poblano risotto, and chocolate chess pie with Chantilly cream. So yummy. I'm going to steal that risotto idea.

Tags
dinner