What's for Supper, Wednesday, October 14th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here was our dinner. It turned out good, but I didn't do a good job of getting it on the plate. :rolleyes:

img_856603_0_f5f1d3df4892309dbffbe217935b8ada.jpg

img_856603_1_e2e20d020c4ab0890e6a34932263d519.jpg

img_856603_2_a15e649e468d8bf624f091093c1346d4.jpg
that looks so gooooooooooooooood!! yummy!!

yummy!! so where did my plate go?

recipe?

I had a place set for you at the table but you didn't show up! :LOL::LOL:

Um, I am not really a good one to ask for recipes because I don't usually follow one. My meatloaf is basically different every time but I will try. As for the veggies, I just tossed carrots, potatoes and onion in olive oil, thyme (I used fresh but you can used dried), salt and pepper, then baked them with the meatloaf for about 1.5 hours at 350.

Yummy! Especially the pot pie, looks great on the plate!
I didn't get sick, just feeling tired and sore. Not sure why, maybe it's the arthritis in my foot. Can't really afford to go int to a doctor for it right now, so will just try to get through it.

I had a place set for you at the table but you didn't show up! :LOL::LOL:

Um, I am not really a good one to ask for recipes because I don't usually follow one. My meatloaf is basically different every time but I will try. As for the veggies, I just tossed carrots, potatoes and onion in olive oil, thyme (I used fresh but you can used dried), salt and pepper, then baked them with the meatloaf for about 1.5 hours at 350.

a list of ingredients will work very nicely!!
i have been adding dried porcini powder to my meatloaf lately. it gives a nice mushroom flavor.
i don't use recipes either. i just have ingredient lists. when someone asks for a recipe i go to a supermarket online store to get exact volumes of cans/boxes i KNOW i used. other stuff i put "to taste". also if i know i am going to post i pour into my hand and then pour into a measruring spoon if need be to get exact amount (i can usually measure spoons pretty acurately in my hand after all these years and checking in the beginning to be sure because pulling out the measuring spoons all the time while cooking is a pain and i don't measure ahead). also i have been trying to put recipes down for my girls. also have them taste everything during the "stages" of prep so they know what it is supposed to taste like at different points. IE the "raw" flavor of wine in a sauce and then the cooked/matured flavor after being cooked for awhile.

a list of ingredients will work very nicely!!

As I say, I make it different all the time, but last night's was:
- Ground Beef (about 2 pounds, sometimes use 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork or turkey)
- Ketchup (maybe 1/4 cup)
- eggs (2)
- panko crumbs (max 1/3 cup)
- Italian Herb seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce (couple of splashes)
- onion (one small - I process or chop it very fine)

I think that was it. I use very little crumbs in my meatloaf and have been known to use crushed rice krispies or corn flakes because DH can't tolerate much gluten or wheat (not celiac). I find it makes a meatier and moister meatloaf.

Hope that helps.

As I say, I make it different all the time, but last night's was:
- Ground Beef (about 2 pounds, sometimes use 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork or turkey)
- Ketchup (maybe 1/4 cup)
- eggs (2)
- panko crumbs (max 1/3 cup)
- Italian Herb seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce (couple of splashes)
- onion (one small - I process or chop it very fine)

I think that was it. I use very little crumbs in my meatloaf and have been known to use crushed rice krispies or corn flakes because DH can't tolerate much gluten or wheat (not celiac). I find it makes a meatier and moister meatloaf.

Hope that helps.
thank you.

i don't use much crumbs either. i mix the meat, ketchup, spicy mustard, powdered dried porcini, onion and egg together then i use mostly rolled oats and just enough crumbs (crumbs poured into palm of my hand) to hold together. i think MEATloaf should be meat and not filler.

thank you.

i don't use much crumbs either. i mix the meat, ketchup, spicy mustard, powdered dried porcini, onion and egg together then i use mostly rolled oats and just enough crumbs (crumbs poured into palm of my hand) to hold together. i think MEATloaf should be meat and not filler.

I think there is as many ways to make meatloaf as there are women in this world. LOL. I like mine to taste like meat too but, I remember that the binder used to also be a stretcher for when times were tough for people.
One grandmother used oats and the other used bread crumbs as binders. My mom used crushed saltines!! :LOL:
One of the GM also put a hard boiled egg in the center and built the "loaf" around it and then when you sliced it you had this purty egg slice in there.
The other GM put a long cheese slice/log in the center for the same effect only with cheese.

I think there is as many ways to make meatloaf as there are women in this world. LOL. I like mine to taste like meat too but, I remember that the binder used to also be a stretcher for when times were tough for people.
One grandmother used oats and the other used bread crumbs as binders. My mom used crushed saltines!! :LOL:
One of the GM also put a hard boiled egg in the center and built the "loaf" around it and then when you sliced it you had this purty egg slice in there.
The other GM put a long cheese slice/log in the center for the same effect only with cheese.
hello CK. i sometimes put cubed cheddar and crumbled cooked bacon in my meatloaf.

hello CK. i sometimes put cubed cheddar and crumbled cooked bacon in my meatloaf.
Hi MsMo.
I'm not a bacon person but DH would looove that! He'd sit and eat a whole pound of bacon if I'd let him.
I still haven't tried the cheese yet but, I'll bet I'd like it.

If you want a strip of cheese running down the middle, I found that cheese sticks(like string cheese, snacking cheese, indiv. wrapped) are great for that! I have also used them for stuffing chicken breasts. Just happened to have them on hand instead of a block of cheese.

I think there is as many ways to make meatloaf as there are women in this world. LOL.

Yes, there is no "right or wrong" way to make meatloaf. :)

What you describe here is very similar to a dish called "Scotch Egg" which my Grandmother used to make all the time. Except she took the hard boiled eggs and encase each one separately in the meatloaf mixture, glazed with egg white (I think) and baked. They were delicious but I have never made them myself.

I make scotch eggs, and pretty much just use breakfast sausage, flatten into a patty, wrap around a shelled, hard boiled egg, bake. They are great "to go" food, look nice cut into wedges, too. Serve with a honey mustard sauce or mustard/mayo combo.

If you want a strip of cheese running down the middle, I found that cheese sticks(like string cheese, snacking cheese, indiv. wrapped) are great for that! I have also used them for stuffing chicken breasts. Just happened to have them on hand instead of a block of cheese.
Ya know what else that cheese is good for?... stuffed crust pizza.

good idea!!! We are doing a family dinner before my daughter leaves for Hawaii (giving up all her worldly possessions and going to work on an organic farm) and home made pizza is on the menu. I'll have to try it!

good idea!!! We are doing a family dinner before my daughter leaves for Hawaii (giving up all her worldly possessions and going to work on an organic farm) and home made pizza is on the menu. I'll have to try it!
I worked for pizza hut years ago, and that is what they use for their stuffed crust.

I make scotch eggs, and pretty much just use breakfast sausage, flatten into a patty, wrap around a shelled, hard boiled egg, bake. They are great "to go" food, look nice cut into wedges, too. Serve with a honey mustard sauce or mustard/mayo combo.

That's how my GM made Scotch eggs too. Are you Celtic by chance as well?

I guess it would be closer to a sausage mix than a meatloaf mix, but my GM did it all by hand. I know it was a mixture of beef and pork with seasonings in it. Wish I had her recipe. The modern ones I see don't some close to hers. She was born in Ireland but her mother was Scottish.

Back
Top Bottom