"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #51
Master Chef

I did think I wanted to cook for a living at one time, but learned very quickly that I can't take the heat (literally), the pressure, or the hours. So I've learned to be happy to cook for freinds. I was thrilled when yesterday I made a sort of Southeast Asian style soup that I wasn't sure would go over with my brunch group, and a couple of the men scarfed up several bowls of it. I may have to take back all I said about the bland palates of my Midwestern friends!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

wow and lol, i forgot about this old thread. i just ran across it looking for old recipes i've posted.

well, what about it all you new people!!!! (new since january of '05, that is)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
when did you realize you were a foodie?
When I realized I spend more on ingredients and equipment than dirtbikes. LOL
Old 05-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #54
Head Chef

when i spend saturday thinking about what to cook on sunday ...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
when i spend saturday thinking about what to cook on sunday ...
Huh? I'll stay awake in the middle of the night trying to figure out what order a sauce should be done!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #56
Head Chef

I was raised in the '50's and lived in a small house (4 rooms for 7 people) that was on the same property that my paternal grandparents owned and lived on. Going to Grandmas house was always a food experience, albeit ethnic in nature (Slovenian). I remember making sandwiches out of the cracklings left over from rendering the lard after making homemade sausages, and eating jellied pork parts from a bowl in the basement in the winter time. Potica, strudel, homemade donuts were all made at home and at Grandmas, and my 4 brothers and I ate everything put in front of us, regardless of where it came from on the animal. Today, tripe stew is still one of my favorite meals with polenta, and it sends my Irish wife out of the house. LOL

I've really gotten heavily into cooking and baking after our three children were grown and on their own. DW is a good cook, but it's my meals of stuffed cabbages, liver & onions and homemade soups that bring the kids back home. I have just gotten into baking breads in the past couple of months, and since then we have not bought a loaf of bread or hamburger & hot dog buns from the store. DW just loves the NY Times no knead bread, and I make it a couple times a week.

Good food brings back friends time and time again, and it's a sure fire way to make new ones.

Joe
Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #57
Master Chef

As soon as I moved out to live on my own and had to start cooking for myself.... then I realized the possibilities!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I think since I could reach the kitchen counter.
My parents have always cooked and appreciated good food, did not believe in junk or boxed stuff. When I was younger I actually thought I was deprived because everyone else's parents would make them Hamburger Helper! Silly......
Anyway they always let me help cook, I was never picky about eating (ok unless the food touches), and I was allowed to do things on my own when I was ready.
My mom gave me a bunch of my old children's cookbooks last summer so I could use them with my kids.... it was really neat to see in a few I had already made notes on what was good, what to add, how to split or double the recipe. I think I was 8!
Hmmm I think I feel like cooking something now...... :)
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #59
Executive Chef

I'm told I grabbed the blue cheese and shrimp off my mom's plate when I was 1yo ate it and loved it. I still do. Clams are my earliest food memory as far as "loving them" fired, chowder, sauteed, deviled, you name it.

We cooked as a family, weekends were big prep times Sunday was a roast ... leftovers became a mid week pie or casserole, and Saturday was soup from the bones. I asked what meat I liked best, lamb was the answer (still is).

We followed Julia Child all the way, and any other PBS food person.

I think I've been a foodie all my life...it was part of my upbringing--quality ingredients, correct methods=fine results. Waste nothing, use it all.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #60
Master Chef

I don't know how I ever evolved into a foodie........my mother did not cook anything that I can remember with fondness........grandma made the best fried chicken ever and fried steak..........and homemade bread...but she never invited us to help..........I guess I got my most inspiration from my mother-in-law who gave me a paper-backed "Betty Crocker" cookbook from 1972 and really inspired me to try out new things and new recipes. She was a great cook and her pies, cakes, and other desserts and Thanksgiving dressing were to die for. We both loved cookbooks........I've inherited a lot of her old ones...........I miss her........she was so patient and she loved having a granddaugter perched on a chair helping her out....she had 4 of them