"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure I understand you, Darkstream.

"Yet it seems to me that some of you do, even though it is not neccesary. So why do you put such power into other peoples hands?"

Is it a power trip for someone who loves you to cook food for you? Does that make me "the weak one"?

When dining out, I pay for the service of having someone else prepare my meal. Is that not a perfectly respectable commercial exchange?

Old 02-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I LIKE to cook for my family - just because someone else cooks for me or I cook for them doesn't mean that person is dependent on the other one - it means it's just the role you've taken on in your family and are glad to do it. I like my role - EVEN getting the water. It was meant a bit more light-hearted than you are taking it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
Certified Executive Chef

Since I live alone, three guesses who cooks, first two do not count. I cook all my meals from scratch unless I go out. Everyone here except the newbies knows I do not buy food in boxes, cans, freezer; nothing precooked. I do occasionally buy some items from Trader Joe's to keep on the shelf but they are no preservatives, additives, trans-fatty acids or chemicals about which I know nothing. I also sometimes make my own bread.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I cook on the weekdays, DH cooks on the weekends.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I do most of the cooking in the house, unless my girls decide they are going to make a meal. They don't really make "meals" but they are some of the best hostesses I've ever known! :D

For the most part, things are done from scratch. It's less expensive and tastes better. But there are plenty of nights when it's frozen pizza or the like, sometimes I just do not have the time. I'm working on my time managment and the things that are in our schedule, I'll get it figured out.

I used to do some once a month cooking, that worked well for us at the time. I need to do some more planning.

I think if it's healthy enough and everyone is eating and their tummies are full, then that is good. Things in moderation and we will all be happy! :D
Old 02-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Well, it really depends on how busy I am at college/clinicals, but at the moment I cook dinner around 5 evenings a week, and we eat out or have take-out around twice a week for dinner. Breakfasts: everyone gets their own, except if the kids want oatmeal, then I sometimes cook that for them. The kids and hubby have lunch at school/work, I'm not too bothered about eating lunch, but will nuke a lean cuisine if I'm at home. At weekends we usually eat lunch out.

My husbands very rarely cooks (about 6 times a year), but he makes such a mess in the kitchen that I really prefer to cook myself.

My youngest daughter (9) loves to help me cook. She has her own set of mini (but real) cooking utensils, a pink chopping board in the shape of a flower, her own sharp knife and her own little saucepan and 8" frying pan. She can heat up soup or make omelettes, mac & cheese or hotdogs with very little help. My eldest daughter (14) is quite good at baking cupcakes, but doesn't really like to cook as much as her little sister does.

I'm very possessive about my kitchen and prefer to cook alone most of the time. I'm terrible about planning meals, so end up shopping at the grocery store nearly every day. I've tried planning ahead and shopping weekly, but it just doesn't work for us....I often have to change meal plans at very short notice because hubby has had a big business lunch, or is going to be working late and needs a meal that will re-heat well when he gets home, and often I find I've got too much homework and need to prepare a quicker meal than the time-consuming one I may have planned.

Paint.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
My husbands very rarely cook
You lucky duck - you have more than 1!!! (sorry, Michael in FW taught me how to be a smarty pants!!!!)

Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
who cooks

I do 24/7 and I do mean cook. All the real stuff from scratch. wheeeee
Old 02-07-2005, 07:55 PM   #19
Senior Cook

KitchenElf....it's because he's as much trouble as several husbands combined LOL!

Paint.[/quote]
Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL Paint!!!!