"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #31
Master Chef

Goldilocks would fall asleep waiting for Caitlin and I to finish dinner! Hubby gets up sometimes and says it's too painful to watch lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

At work, I start eating lunch at 11 finishing about 1...I eat at my desk and am still typing while I take a bite here and there.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I tend to eat much slower than DH. Like others have said before me, I like my food very hot or very cold .. not lukewarm. And I like to taste and enjoy my food. DH is the opposite ... like a steam shovel .. scoop it up and it's gone. I can watch him eat something, ask how he liked it and he will look me right in the eye and say he didn't have any of that LOL

Of course he came from a large family and the quickest hands got the most food .. he just never got over that.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
At work, I start eating lunch at 11 finishing about 1...I eat at my desk and am still typing while I take a bite here and there.
You should know better. Any chance of getting up from your desk and eating somewhere else? Where you sit down and concentrate on your meal? Not your work?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

I eat like a wolf. I am the youngest of three boys, so growing up I had to eat whatever I could as quickly as possible to ensure my own survival. Often times, the youngest/weakest sibling ends up dying due to starvation. It seems cruel, but it is nature. Now that I am older and fully capable of fending off my meal from others, I still eat in the same manner. I know it isn't healthy to gulp down food but I see little point in spending 1-2 hours finishing off a plate. We're at completely opposite extremes.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_mizanin View Post
I eat like a wolf. I am the youngest of three boys, so growing up I had to eat whatever I could as quickly as possible to ensure my own survival. Often times, the youngest/weakest sibling ends up dying due to starvation. It seems cruel, but it is nature. Now that I am older and fully capable of fending off my meal from others, I still eat in the same manner. I know it isn't healthy to gulp down food but I see little point in spending 1-2 hours finishing off a plate. We're at completely opposite extremes.

If that's the way you are comfortable eating, that's what matters.

On the other hand, I look at eating a meal as more than a refueling stop. It should be a time to relax and socialize. To share your day, your thoughts, etc. If you're eating alone, relax and catch up on posts here at DC while you're eating.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #37
Master Chef

A friend of my aunt grew up in an orphanage during the 1920s or 1930s. Not only did she eat quickly, but she ate all the courses at once. Nothing like a hot fudge sundae as the side dish to you BLT! She must have been in her 50s when Aunt T. and I went to lunch with her and she still ate that way because it's the way she learned growing up.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If that's the way you are comfortable eating, that's what matters.

On the other hand, I look at eating a meal as more than a refueling stop. It should be a time to relax and socialize. To share your day, your thoughts, etc. If you're eating alone, relax and catch up on posts here at DC while you're eating.
I have a little wooden TV table my daughter gave me for Christmas one year. I use it for everything. Writing, reading, etc. I eat all my food there while I watch TV. When I am done, if I feel like it, I come back to the computer. I use to eat at the computer. I found that I lost interest in the food real quick and never finished what little food I had prepared. So I stop doing that.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_mizanin View Post
Jeez, where were your parents? lol

There's a range of times between 1 minute and 1 hour. Take it easy and enjoy your food.

Luckily, DH and I eat at about the same pace, which I'd say is average. I likd to enjoy what I've prepared and have a nice conversation as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You should know better. Any chance of getting up from your desk and eating somewhere else? Where you sit down and concentrate on your meal? Not your work?
I can't eat fast enough to take a break...

Tags
eating