"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Head Chef
My mom didn't get the chance to experiment much with cooking, even though she is a good cook, because my brother, sister, and I were very picky eaters when we were younger. Well, the other 2 still are. I can't even get them close to trying any fish or anything new. There was one meal she would fix though, that every one, parents and kids, loved. Spicy Vegetable Beef Soup.
Healthy comfort food? Possible?

My dad is great on the grill. He makes a wonderful marinade for his steaks. He doesn't have an exact recipe and sometimes he will alter it, but basically he heats up in a pot, butter, worcestershire, orange juice and seasoned salt. He use to add garlic, but my mom can't eat that anymore.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #12
Executive Chef
My mom makes the best fresh french fries. She's a great cook now but when I was little, I remember my dad doing most of the cooking. When she cooked us dinner it was generally omelettes with french fries.

And my dad...he makes a lot of good stuff. My fave is pork chops stuffed with cheese and breaded with cornflake crumbs that is fried in CRISCO!! Since then I've come up with a healthier version.

And last but not least my dad's kahlua mousse pie. Just click here:

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
At first "glance" most don't see my mother as a cook. Dad hasn't got a prayer. However, Mom has on many occassion proven she can hold her own in the kitchen.

Two things stand forefront in my mind. Stuffing for turkey and a cheesey chicken casserole.
Integrity & Honesty
have been sacrificed on the combined altars of Control, Political Correctness, and Convenience
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I agree, great thread! But, I can only kindly say, momma can cook anything, and only she does it best! EVERYTHING she cooks is the best!! Love ya, Mom!
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #15
Sous Chef
My mother makes fantastic spaghetti sauce. She gives it as birthday and Christmas presents. She does pretty well with fried chicken, but her mother's was even better. Her veal cutlets (breaded and fried) are wonderful.
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.--unknown, at least to me
purrfectlydevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #16
Master Chef
My mom made the best blackberry pie. I would request it for my birthday every year. I can remember her rolling out the dough and filling the pie with the blackberries. She would let us kids eat the extra dough and dip it in the leftover blackberry juice.

The other thing that we requested the most was her meatloaf. It was awesome and made great meatloaf sandwiches. It still is a family favorite.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
my mom made a lot of really good things, so i'll just have to list the most memorable.
for breakfast, she made awesome norwegian pancakes (a type of crepe), norwegian egg nog (chocolate milk whipped with raw eggs), and always perfect eggs over easy with toast and bacon.
for dinners, i'd say her best were chicken parm, pot roast, leg of lamb, labscaus (norwegian corned beef hash),pepper steak, beef and veggie soup, irish hamburgers, corned beef and cabbage, and grilled chicken quarters.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #18
Hospitality Queen
With parents like these, no wonder we all got the cooking bug!!!
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
My mom also made so many great things. Her ham dinners with ham gravy were among the best. Her bbq sauce for chicken on the grill. Lasagna, chicken divan, and no bake cookies were all great too. MMMM....this is making me want to move back home!
- Annette
nettieplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
Head Chef
Liver and onions. The neighbor kids would even come over for it, it was so good.

I need to get mom's tips on how to make it. Mizzphinz won't eat it, but that means more for me.

It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote