"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Gotta Love Farmers Markets!!

Was in NYC , the past few days, and strategically planned our wanderings to pass by the Union Square Greenmarket. Im usually in the city on days its not there, but any time I know the market is open, I make it happen. There have been times that instead of actually going out for lunch, we're just walk through the market selecting a bunch of stuff and turning it into lunch. Any time wego on a road trip, I always try to make it a point to hit the local farmers markets or the most popular city market. When in Philly, Reading Terminal Market is a must!!.

No real question here, just plugging farmers markets and unique food markets in cities. Im looking forward to hitting a few on my road trip in October.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5410.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	30994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5411.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	30995  

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Isn't that so fun and cool? I love them too! All that variety inspiring what we'll have for cooking and eating. I love the colors and variety.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Isn't that so fun and cool? I love them too! All that variety inspiring what we'll have for cooking and eating. I love the colors and variety.
I could wander around these markets for hours , even without buying anything, just to see the colors, varieties, shapes, sizes and some things that Ive never seen or heard of before. Unfortunately it was a crappy day, so we weren't able to enjoy it as much as usual.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
A few years back, we were visiting with our Nephew and his family, in the Detroit area.
His wife, whom we call our Neice, took me on a girls day out and the two boys were in Great Uncle's care.
We ventured over to the Eastern Market.
That was really cool!
And we did wander for most of the morning and then had lunch, I can't remember where that was, mostly because I was so floored by this Farmer's Market.
The sights, the sounds, the smells...

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	30998

I'd never seen such beautiful Roses before ...

Name:	041.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	30999

... nor had I seen such a HUGE Zucchini before. The young woman behind the table said that I could take a picture of her vegetables if I gave her a dollar!

Oh boy! That was another great Road Trip... AZ-NM-OK-OH-MI-MD-WV-IL-MO-KS-CO-NM-AZ (edit-I forgot WY in there somewhere)
PHEW!
We were gone for a month, and loved every second of it!
Old 08-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I don't get down to the Dallas Farmer's Market often -- it has been years. My suburban city had one, but it was all just the same produce sold at local grocery stores. They just sold it from booths. Very few booths actually grew their own produce, and most of if was NOT locally sourced.

So, farmer's markets can be great, but you have to ask, point blank, if the vendor grew the produce they are selling, and was it grown locally.

The fresh markets in Europe are great, especially in Spain and Italy. But, that's how many people there buy their food, so a vendor can make a full-time living at it.

CD
Old 08-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I just asked Luke if he had any trips to the farmers market yesterday. Nope! Dang. I really had a good time last year. But even if he did. I still have to learn how to get out of my wheelchair and use a walker. Boy I have a lot of work ahead of me. Dang! I am so impatient!!!

caseydog is so right. We have a very large market over by Haymarket Square. They have cases galore of selling their wares. We just have to look at what is stacked behind them to get the message of growing their own. About around four p.m. the sellers start to panic. All of a sudden, their prices really start to drop. But it is still fun to go to a farmer's market.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
A few years back, we were visiting with our Nephew and his family, in the Detroit area.
His wife, whom we call our Neice, took me on a girls day out and the two boys were in Great Uncle's care.
We ventured over to the Eastern Market.
That was really cool!
And we did wander for most of the morning and then had lunch, I can't remember where that was, mostly because I was so floored by this Farmer's Market.
The sights, the sounds, the smells...

Attachment 30998

I'd never seen such beautiful Roses before ...

Attachment 30999

... nor had I seen such a HUGE Zucchini before. The young woman behind the table said that I could take a picture of her vegetables if I gave her a dollar!

Oh boy! That was another great Road Trip... AZ-NM-OK-OH-MI-MD-WV-IL-MO-KS-CO-NM-AZ (edit-I forgot WY in there somewhere)
PHEW!
We were gone for a month, and loved every second of it!

Kgirl, that happened to me too on my very first trip to Europe and it made
me so dang mad and shocked, I never forgot how it made me feel.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

I am envious..I have one right beside my house in the fair grounds, but can never make it..I see them setting up every Saturday morning when I head out to work..bummer..
Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ours lasts 2 hours on a Thursday...
Old 08-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
Executive Chef

The last time I was at the Union Square market, there was a chef shopping for the produce he would use later that day in his restaurant. I kinda followed him around and watched as he made his selections. There were so many questions I wanted to ask him ( on his selection process, what he was making ...) but he seemed to be ' In the Zone' and I didnt want to distract him, but still fun to watch.