"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
Head Chef

It was great. I always love doing farm, factory tours. I get a kick out of seeing how things are made, grown, assembled .... For years I've been wanting to tour a mushroom farm, just never got around to it. Im glad I finally did. I've grown mushrooms at home ( in those home mushroom log / box kits). Ive also made a mushroom log, after purchasing Spawn plugs and placing them in an oak log, which was relatively successful.
Seeing this first hand and being able to speak to the farmers and ask questions was a great experience.

I was hoping to go to the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival in a few weeks up in Saugerties NY, but looks like Ill be busy that weekend. Guess there is always next year.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
It was great. I always love doing farm, factory tours. I get a kick out of seeing how things are made, grown, assembled .... For years I've been wanting to tour a mushroom farm, just never got around to it. Im glad I finally did. I've grown mushrooms at home ( in those home mushroom log / box kits). Ive also made a mushroom log, after purchasing Spawn plugs and placing them in an oak log, which was relatively successful.
Seeing this first hand and being able to speak to the farmers and ask questions was a great experience.

I was hoping to go to the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival in a few weeks up in Saugerties NY, but looks like Ill be busy that weekend. Guess there is always next year.
I think every city kid need to visit a farm or two to learn where their food comes from. Fortunately, I think my generation learned early in life.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
Head Chef

I agree. When my kids were younger, we would take them to the local farm extension which had weekly farm activities for them. Anything from hands on milking a cow, to extracting honey from a hive and tractor rides through the farm. We also go to the local farms to pick fresh fruit , berries, pumpkins... right off the trees ( vines, bushes). And of course, we have our garden, so the kids not only know a wide variety of produce, but they also know where everything comes from and the hard work that goes with it. Just the other day, I was speaking with a coworker. He is in his 30's, a professional, and when I was telling him how I should have planted a second crop of peas instead of cucumbers in my garden, he looked at me with a blank face and said " what are peas? " I laughed , but then he told me he was serious, he wasn't sure what a pea was. My laugh turned to a look of concern and disbelief. I had to google peas and show the pics to him. When he saw it, he finally knew what I was talking about.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
It was great. I always love doing farm, factory tours. I get a kick out of seeing how things are made, grown, assembled ....
Not mushrooms Larry, but if you have never been to the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth PA, GO! Very interesting. I was there over 40 years ago when a friend and I went camping on Cape Cod. He had two Martins that needed adjustments. When we dropped them off, we were taken on an informal tour. Zoom ahead decades later, and Himself and I toured their updated facility in 2012. In spite of a considerable amount of automation, much of one of their guitars is still hand-made. And still beautiful. The sample guitars you can try in their "studio" are fun if you play. That day I bought my only Martin guitar...it's a Christmas ornament for the tree!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

aww,, c'mon larry. a "professional" didn't know what peas were?

gimme one of them mushrooms.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Not mushrooms Larry, but if you have never been to the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth PA, GO! Very interesting. I was there over 40 years ago when a friend and I went camping on Cape Cod. He had two Martins that needed adjustments. When we dropped them off, we were taken on an informal tour. Zoom ahead decades later, and Himself and I toured their updated facility in 2012. In spite of a considerable amount of automation, much of one of their guitars is still hand-made. And still beautiful. The sample guitars you can try in their "studio" are fun if you play. That day I bought my only Martin guitar...it's a Christmas ornament for the tree!
Touring a guitar factory is right up my alley. I've been embarrassing myself on guitar for years. Thanks for the tip. If I would have known this last week, could have added it to my road trip

Quote:

Sadly yes. I was thinking maybe he had a few ' mushrooms' not to know what a pea was. or possibly that I had eaten a few and was hallucinating the whole conversation. Then again, this is coming from a guy who thought the USA had 52 states ( 50 + Hawaii and Alaska). Took my then 10 year old daughter to convince him he was wrong.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

bt, I know a lot of folks who fail to understand whey folks have gardens. After all that is why they have supermarkets. And some of them think it is a waste of good time. The time you spend in your garden, could be better spent in a barroom. These are folks I don't socialize with very often.