Bad experiences while eating something you've always liked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, my friend nr 1 who is very close to me, only eat rabbit from 2 places these days, because he knows where they come from. But yeah, he doesn't touch restaurant rabbit and he is a chef himself.

My wife's bad experience. After visiting a hibatchi grill (ninja chefs) the next morning i tried to copy a trick they did with an egg.

Spinning an egg around i chopped it with a large knife as quick ad possible. The finished product had eggshells in it.

One time I grabbed a handful of coco puffs from a ziplock bag on the table and popped it in my mouth.

Turned out to be dog food :(

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

One time I grabbed a handful of coco puffs from a ziplock bag on the table and popped it in my mouth.

Turned out to be dog food :(

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, not quite the same!

My first husband wanted to go land crabbing. It's some kind of crab that is here, as well as in Cuba, where he was from. At certain times of the year the leave the water and migrate. Well, we did, he caught quite a few and we brought them home to cook. His mom had always cooked them and he really didn't know how and, at that point, I had never cooked a crab in my life and had only eaten crab out of a can, VERY young me, had moved from up north maybe a year before, and he was 8 years older, though was the baby boy of the family so never did anything for himself, much less cooked. Okay, we throw them in a pot to cook them. OMG the smell! We had to open the windows, turn on fans just to be able to stay in the house, took days to get the smell out. He insisted they were good, picked the meat, and he ate some of them. He didn't get sick so I assumed they were okay and being bad wasn't the cause of the smell. We froze the rest of the picked meat. I couldn't bring myself to eat any because of the smell. I ended up throwing away the frozen meat eventually because I wasn't cooking anything with it and I think he forgot about it. It was also years before I ate crab anything, just the thought of it was nauseating. We found out later from an older Cuban women that you are supposed to cook them outside because they do have that horrendous odor when cooking.

The only other time happened with him as well. We went to Taco Bell for dinner, got tacos and churros, then went out for a night of drink and debauchery. I was horribly sick the next day and for some reason just the thought of churros (which I love) was nauseating for months and months after, not tacos, just the churros, though it was probably (definitely :rolleyes: ) the D and D that caused the sickness.

... OMG the smell! ...

Crab as well as crayfish (why do they call it fish?) should be cooked with some dill, or maybe some other herb. To kill the smell. It does have weird smell, but by adding a lot of dill it becomes if not pleasant at least not nauseated.

Crab as well as crayfish (why do they call it fish?) should be cooked with some dill, or maybe some other herb. To kill the smell. It does have weird smell, but by adding a lot of dill it becomes if not pleasant at least not nauseated.

Charlie, you don't understand. I've cooked crab many, many times since. NOTHING has ever smelled like those crabs did, NOT EVEN CLOSE! They are not the crab that most people can get. You have to go out and catch them yourself at certain times of the year when they are migrating on land. Besides the fact that I don't think Cubans even use dill, I don't think anything could have made a difference in the smell from these things.

I've never heard of using dill. Craig's family is from Maryland and they never used dill. SIL's family is Cajun and they certainly never used dill for crabs or crawfish. Is that something from your homeland or did you pick that up since you've been in U.S.?

My mouth was swollen when I woke up this morning like if someone had punched me. I'm pretty sure it was the cheese cake I had last night. I took some Benydryl. I've never had this reaction from eating cheese cake before....

My mouth was swollen when I woke up this morning like if someone had punched me. I'm pretty sure it was the cheese cake I had last night. I took some Benydryl. I've never had this reaction from eating cheese cake before....

This is strange. Cheese cake is one of the four basic food groups.

Topping?

I haven't had raisin bran in 25 years.

When I had my first apartment, the kitchen was in the back that overlooked a courtyard where you could see about a dozen other apartment kitchens. I had put up a thin bamboo stick shade over the window, but later realized that when the light was on in my kitchen, you could easily see in from the courtyard and other apartments when it was dark out.

Well, one night I woke up craving cereal. Not having any clothes on I went into the kitchen and left the light off so as not to put on a show. Also, my parrots would have woken up if I put the light on, and I didn't want them to start hootin' and hollerin' which would have woken up the gf and the neighbors.

OK, so, by the light of the refrigerator, I poured myself a bowl of raisin bran and milk and headed into the living room. On the way, I thought it was kinda strange that my raisin bran was doing a snap, crackle, pop thing.

I sat down and started to eat as I turned on the TV. The tv glowed just enough for me to see that my bowl of raisin bran was crawling with the maggots of seed moths. I spit it out all over the place, waking everyone up anyway.

I have not had raisin bran ever since, nor will I ever eat something in the dark.

Bucky, you've made my mouth twitch! my lips are itchy and being scrubbed right now!

too funny! and so glad it was not me!

There was probably some citrus or citric acid in the glaze too. I'd be careful with strawberries or citrus until you figure out what it is.

Sure you don't have a tooth abscess?

Tomatoes give me hives. So I never grew up addicted to ketchup like TB. I can have some fresh tomatoes (one cherry or grape tomato in a week?) No cooked stuff, though. Pizza would give me little red dots all over my face (because there is just a little tomato but concentrated). Now I can order white sauce! If I ever eat pizza which is almost never.

I have problems with most mollusks but could have clam chowder. Last time I made it (the same way I always have) my gag reflex kicked in and we were worried about anaphylaxis. I went to the hospital but was okay. No more clam chowder for me!

Roadfix:
Are you allergic (or have a sensitivity) to penicillin? Although I believe the most "common" reaction you would have to that is to break out in hives or not been able to breath very well.

A girlfriend & I indulged in whipped creme and strawberries once, she broke out in hives - we both thought it was the strawberries - I put calamine lotion all over her back... middle of the night trip to emergency - she couldn't breathe so... Who knew calamine was a no- no for penicillin as well!

If it is just your mouth - I would suspect the straberries but you best see an allergist before something super serious happens.

Citric acid isnt made from citrus fruit any more and you dont get swollen lips from then, because the body makes it own citric acid on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom