"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Smile VA - Virginia Beach?

Pretty pathetic to be asking advice on where to eat . . . cuz I LIVE here!
My husband & I don't go out to eat very often, but when we do, we like to try some place different & food I don't make at home that often.

We do like seafood & steaks. Already been to Aldo's, Rudee's & Rockafellers. These are great restaurants, but have been there quite a few times IN the few times we've been out. Ideas -- suggestions?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I wish I could help - sorry. Someone will come along that can help though. I bet it does feel weird asking where to go eat when you live there! I hope someone has a great suggestion for you! The next time you are out eating asking someone what their favorite places are.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Cook

My DH was stationed in Norfolk and we lived there in 03-04. We used to love this little place over by the docks in ocenview called The Blue Crab. We used to love Hot Tuna Seafood Grill off of Shore Drive. If you're looking for waterfront, try the Watermans Beachwood Grill. HTH. Sure do miss it out there.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dessert Diva
My DH was stationed in Norfolk and we lived there in 03-04. We used to love this little place over by the docks in ocenview called The Blue Crab. We used to love Hot Tuna Seafood Grill off of Shore Drive. If you're looking for waterfront, try the Watermans Beachwood Grill. HTH. Sure do miss it out there.
We ended up going to Mahi Mahs. I've heard so much about it & never went there. Although we had an hour wait, the hostesses & service were friendly. And the food was pretty good too. I had flounder stuffed w/crabmeat in a lemon butter cream sauce w/fresh asparagus on a bed of rice. My DH had salmon stuffed w/crabmeat (don't remember the sides). They also have a sushi bar there, but out of respect for my DH, I refrained from ordering any. He calls it bait! I'll have to go back with some friends & try that out! LUUV sushi!

I should take advantage of this great city I live in. The beach is only 15 minutes away! Ya don't realize how nice a place is until you here it from someone else. AND you can get all 4 seasons in one week! Tuesday the high temp was 88. Tonight it dropped to 39. Never a dull moment!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have worked at all the places you mentioned, and then some...you should come to check out my restaurant. PM me for details.

All, the strip places are all copy cats, hardly anything original...unless you go to the new Hilton, but een then, it is the same stuff, different presentation, and 30$$$$ more.....

My personal faves:
Cobalt
Coyote Cafe
Stienhielbers
Zoes
Big Sams
Baja Cantina
Tradewinds
Twisted Fish
Tarapin
Zinc Brassire
Bombay paradise
Bangkok Garden
Imperial Palace
Blue Moon
Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
My personal faves:
Cobalt
Coyote Cafe
Stienhielbers
Zoes
Big Sams
Baja Cantina
Tradewinds
Twisted Fish
Tarapin
Zinc Brassire
Bombay paradise
Bangkok Garden
Imperial Palace
Blue Moon
TATT, I've never been to any of those places! Also I didn't see 7-11 deli on there.

Sonoma Wine bar and bistro is really good! For something less expensive I like PF Changs.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Senior Cook

As a former longtime VB resident I'll give a thumbs up to Bangkok Garden. Zia Marie's out at Chicks Beach is (was) good. I used to be their sous chef when they first opened.

A restaurant that USED to be in VB (Aragona Village area) but now in Norfolk is Luna Maya. They ROCK!

A nice little sushi place in Aragona Village is This Old House. Although I haven't been there in years, I doubt very much Mr. Lee and his wife Sunni would have let it go downhill.

Mahi Mah's? I worked there years ago as well. EXPENSIVE as all get out. I took a friend there this past winter. Lunch for two was over $50.00. But you pay for the scenery.

The Vietnamese restaurant, Pho 78??79?? that was in what used to be the Putt-Putt off VB Blvd is excellent too. Mind you, there's so many more Vietnamese places to choose from now...

Ciao,

Oh yeah - you might wanna check out Tatt's restaurant. My wife and I had a terrific meal there. He's got a great staff.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Cook

My wife and I enjoy La Bella Italia on Laskin Rd. They have a portobello and smoked mozzarella appetizer that is wonderful. They marinade the mushrooms in a balsamic an olive oil marinade, throw them on the grill to warm them up a little, they slice and throw smoked mozzarella on the grill as well, served with marinated red peppers and fresh garlic. I haven't had a bad entrée there, and they have the best tiramisu I've had.

For a more elegant dinner out, we like the Blue Hippo on downtown Granby St. in Norfolk.

Sushi - we like Nara Sushi off Independence at Haygood shopping center. Kevin, the owner and head chef, is a very nice guy and the sushi is as pretty as it is tasty.

Mediterranean food - I have to recommend a little hole-in-the-wall place off Shore Dr called Jenna's. Azar's is another good choice, but I tend to prefer Jenna's. You aren't going to get much in the way of atmosphere, but you will get good food at a good price.

If you're looking for a specific cuisine, let me know... maybe we can all go and try someplace new!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstranger
My wife and I enjoy La Bella Italia on Laskin Rd. They have a portobello and smoked mozzarella appetizer that is wonderful. They marinade the mushrooms in a balsamic an olive oil marinade, throw them on the grill to warm them up a little, they slice and throw smoked mozzarella on the grill as well, served with marinated red peppers and fresh garlic. I haven't had a bad entrée there, and they have the best tiramisu I've had.

For a more elegant dinner out, we like the Blue Hippo on downtown Granby St. in Norfolk.

Sushi - we like Nara Sushi off Independence at Haygood shopping center. Kevin, the owner and head chef, is a very nice guy and the sushi is as pretty as it is tasty.

Mediterranean food - I have to recommend a little hole-in-the-wall place off Shore Dr called Jenna's. Azar's is another good choice, but I tend to prefer Jenna's. You aren't going to get much in the way of atmosphere, but you will get good food at a good price.

If you're looking for a specific cuisine, let me know... maybe we can all go and try someplace new!
Wow! Thanks for all the tips! That smoked mozzarella appetizer sounds awesome! We'll definitely have to give that place a try. My DH & I aren't much for going out to eat. We're big time home-bodies. When we DO go out, I like to try different things. He's not much of an adventurer in the way of food, but goes for me. You must be from my area & go out to eat a lot. You do seem to know the hot spots. I'll keep you in mind next time we decide to go out.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I was just in VB for Friday night and Saturday visiting an acquaintance from another food site when she came down for a wedding. She, my wife and I went to Black Angus on Atlantic and 8th or 9th. VERY good. Great service, good knowledgeable staff - especially concerning the wine list.

I'd give that a thumbs up for sure.

Tags
virginia