Assistance with blue cheese dressing requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
I made a blue cheese dressing last night using the following ingredients:

Sour cream
Mayonnaise
Gorgonzola
Granulated garlic
Black pepper
Parsley
Chives
Salt
Milk to thin it

It tasted great, but it didn't taste like blue cheese dressing except when I got bites with a chunk of blue cheese. When I used the leftovers this afternoon it was the same thing. What I'm looking for is a light blue cheese flavor through out the entire thing with crumbles of blue cheese adding occasional intensity.

My first instinct is to use the hand blender to mix some of the gorganzola with the sour cream before adding everything else but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone have an idea about the best way to accomplish my goal?

I would do as you suggested. I would blend some blue cheese in with it and then add some more chunks after. I think the blue cheese flavor would permeate more if you let it sit in the fridge over night. Just my .02.

Yes, use half the crumbles and cream them to a smooth paste then mix in the sour cream and mayo. Finish up with the rest of the ingredients. I like making it the day before so the flavors meld.

When I make blue cheese dressing I just add grated blue cheese to vinaigrette and whisk until it mostly dissolved.

I've had a couple of vinegar based blue cheese dressings. One was good, the other made me gag. I might try a vinegar based one eventually, but first I'll get the cream based one right. I know the one I'm working on will be difficult to mess up so long as I stick to adding a little cheese at a time. This way when I try it, if it flops, I can just use the rest of the blue cheese to make a cream based one. Always good to have a backup plan.

We like to use buttermilk in place of sour cream. Leftover dressing thickens in fridge and can be stretched by adding more buttermilk. Many cheeses seem salty enough without adding salt to the dressing.

I had a blue cheese dressing in Canada once that was vinegar and creamy. And it was divine. Too bad the place I ate at was manned by arrogant...umm.. people... Never went back.

I do keep meaning to try making my own dressing.

I had a blue cheese dressing in Canada once that was vinegar and creamy. And it was divine. Too bad the place I ate at was manned by arrogant...umm.. people... Never went back.

I do keep meaning to try making my own dressing.

PAGs ingredient list is a really good starting point. Similar to the one we used at the Sizzler restaurant when I worked there.

I use cream cheese, sour cream and blue cheese (Trader Joe has a nice cave aged blue cheese) to make my blue cheese dressing/dip.

I would 86 the mayo & use buttermilk instead, & mash the ingredients together. Here's a recipe I like from David Lebovitz:

blue cheese, crumbled
sea salt & ground black pepper
finely chopped chives
sour cream
buttermilk
fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
red wine vinegar

Blue Cheese Dressing | David Lebovitz

Last edited:
I love my blue cheese dressing! Actually, it's Ina Garten's recipe ;)
What you're missing is the Tarragon:

First make the tarragon vinegar: I put fresh crushed tarragon in a quality white balsamic and let it steep overnight. It's actually a nice thing to keep in the fridge :)

4 oz. Roquefort cheese, crumbled
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. heavy cream
2 Tbsp. tarragon vinegar
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Whiz all together in a food processor

The upside is I have access to a very very nice Roquefort (spendy but very very nice).

The downside is a certain Kathleen in this house really does not like blue cheese.

She seems to tolerate it in very small quantities with certain things.

The upside is I have access to a very very nice Roquefort (spendy but very very nice).

The downside is a certain Kathleen in this house really does not like blue cheese.

She seems to tolerate it in very small quantities with certain things.

More for you:) Small batches...

Wow, lots of ideas. That was my second time making a creamy salad dressing. The first was a couple weeks ago when I was out of salad dressing but had mayo and sour cream. So it's good to see lots of suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom