"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 08-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have dragon tongue wax beans, purple and green bush beans, and purple pole beans. I don't eat pasta very often so # 4 is out with pasta--it actually sounds horrible--yuck. I love chick peas, but they need too long of a growing season to grow here--I've tried--didn't work. And, the tomatoes are just starting to turn red/yellow--so no fresh tomatoes to add to the mix, just beans. I live in SE Ontario--although it is HOT here in the summer, we don't have long enough days re: daylight to grow such things as chick peas, etc. We're lucky to have 95-100 days. I keep hoping to grow cantaloupe...no such luck, yet.
Pasta e fagioli (pasta fazool) can be quite tasty but I usually eat it in cooler weather.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Pasta e fagioli (pasta fazool) can be quite tasty but I usually eat it in cooler weather.
+1

I make the copycat Olive Garden recipe, it freezes well. Yum!

Old 08-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I just don't eat pasta very often (don't like it--I rather eat grains than pasta)...and 3/4/5/6/7 bean salad, in my mind, doesn't lend itself to pasta. I can see adding quinoa or bulghar wheat to a bean salad, but not pasta. Gross.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I suppose you feel the same about canned salmon. I like salmon with lemon juice and zest, sliced beans instead of garbozos would be good with a little basil and oregano.

Do you have some canned tomatoes from last year?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have dragon tongue wax beans, purple and green bush beans, and purple pole beans. I don't eat pasta very often so # 4 is out with pasta--it actually sounds horrible--yuck. I love chick peas, but they need too long of a growing season to grow here--I've tried--didn't work. And, the tomatoes are just starting to turn red/yellow--so no fresh tomatoes to add to the mix, just beans. I live in SE Ontario--although it is HOT here in the summer, we don't have long enough days re: daylight to grow such things as chick peas, etc. We're lucky to have 95-100 days. I keep hoping to grow cantaloupe...no such luck, yet.
If you can't grow cantaloupe, try some Quebec heritage melons, the Montreal melon:

or the Oka melon:

Hawthorn Farm Organic Seeds (Canada) Heirloom and rare varieties, certified organic, farm grown

The Montreal melon is thin rind and used to be world famous for its wonderful flavour. It was believed to be extinct, but someone found some old seeds and managed to germinate one of them.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If you can't grow cantaloupe, try some Quebec heritage melons, the Montreal melon:

or the Oka melon:

Hawthorn Farm Organic Seeds (Canada) Heirloom and rare varieties, certified organic, farm grown

The Montreal melon is thin rind and used to be world famous for its wonderful flavour. It was believed to be extinct, but someone found some old seeds and managed to germinate one of them.
Oh---next summer! I brought seeds back from MN (figured if it could grow in MN, it could grow here...) the plants just don't take off. There are blossoms on them now, but I'm not convinced there is enough time to get the fruit to set before the frost.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I suppose you feel the same about canned salmon. I like salmon with lemon juice and zest, sliced beans instead of garbozos would be good with a little basil and oregano.

Do you have some canned tomatoes from last year?
Yes, we have canned tomatoes from last year...I just want fresh tomatoes...waaaa! And yes, I feel the same way about canned salmon--can't stand those bones (this would be the sockeye salmon). My mom is the same re: canned salmon and tuna...hmmm...learned response?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The salmon I get doesn't have bones. Nice wild alaskan canned salmon. Very tasty and I bet different from the last time you had some.

I'm waiting for a halibut steak, one of my co-workers husband just got back from Alaska and his yearly fishing trip. She HATES fish...can you believe it? So she brings me her share.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The salmon I get doesn't have bones. Nice wild alaskan canned salmon. Very tasty and I bet different from the last time you had some.

I'm waiting for a halibut steak, one of my co-workers husband just got back from Alaska and his yearly fishing trip. She HATES fish...can you believe it? So she brings me her share.
Lucky you! I will have to look the next time we go to NY for wild Alaskan canned salmon. I just can't handle those "socket" bones and the little white bones--yuck! So haven't even looked at canned salmon in years.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It is in tuna sized cans, I love it. The other canned salmon is only good for making salmon patties or loaf.

Tags
salad