Like cheese on your tossed salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
Since I had some fontina left over from a recipe, I grated some on a simple tossed salad that consisted of, romaine and iceburg, lettuce; slivered onion, celery, bell pepper, black olives and fontina cheese, splash of Italian dressing.
Fontina is fast becoming a favorite of mine.

Love cheese on a tossed salad.

Parmesano Reggiano, shaved, nothing better.

But will add many other cheeses.

Feta, Swiss, cheddar, you name it.

Manchego gives a nice flavor.

Never has a tossed salad yet that was not improved by a bit of cheese.

You are right, aintdot

I need to learn more about different cheeses. I didn't know anything about Parmesano Reggiano until the food channel. I haven't tried it yet, however. Contrary to my belief, I was told that when cheese developes mold, you're not safe in just trimming off the mold and using the rest. If that isn't correct, someone let me know. I just hate buying cheese and forgetting about it until it's too late. Cheese is more expensive than beef, for cryin' out loud:mellow:

we lay canned pears on lettuce and then sprinkle with cheddar Kim. You might like to try that.

That sounds interesting. I have some peaches in the pantry. I may just have to try that soon. Not tonight though... we're having liver and onions, I don't think those tastes would go good together.

Phil said:
I need to learn more about different cheeses. I didn't know anything about Parmesano Reggiano until the food channel. I haven't tried it yet, however. Contrary to my belief, I was told that when cheese developes mold, you're not safe in just trimming off the mold and using the rest. If that isn't correct, someone let me know. I just hate buying cheese and forgetting about it until it's too late. Cheese is more expensive than beef, for cryin' out loud:mellow:

Cheese is so yummy! I use it a lot. Another nice cheese for salads is medium gouda w/ caraway seed (in a light sweet vinegrette), goat cheese (with pine nuts and a raspberry vinegrette - so good!), or feta (with olives and other savory bits)

As for your question about mold and cheese, this article might help you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01024 Its from the mayoclinic, so I'd trust it.

pdswife said:
we lay canned pears on lettuce and then sprinkle with cheddar Kim. You might like to try that.

My Grandma Snarr used to do that, and I loved it! She usually stuffed the little hollow in the pear with cream cheese and nuts, but I didn't like that, so she made plain ones for me.

By the way, you can send some of that liver and onions my way. I love the dish, but my husband can't stand it. He doesn't even want to smell it cooking.
Did you make mashed potatoes with it?

Back
Top Bottom