New idea for the mushroom fans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
Insalata di funghi (Mushroom salad)

I always loved mushrooms but also used to believe that to eat them raw was a total blasphemy.... but that was until I encountered this recipe. It really altered my idea about raw mushrooms. Just make sure to use the very fresh mushrooms for the best effect, and autumn is a mushroom season, it is the perfect time to try this one!!

Ingredients:
-500g/1lb White mushrooms, very fresh and relatively large
-generous handful of rocket (roughly chopped) or flat leaved parsley
-60g/2oz.of bresaola or speck, if neither is available good quality smoked ham, thinly sliced then finely julienned.
-60g/2oz.of parmigiano or aged pecorino, thinly shaved
-grated peel of 1 lemon
-mild gourmet mustard (I use either grey poupon with whole mustard seeds, or german/bavarian style sweet mustard)--!!whatever you do do not use the french's yellow mustard!!

Wash the mushrooms, remove the stems and save them for other recipes (sugo, omelette etc...). peel off the thin outer surface of the cap. Then slice them as thinly as possible, about 2mm.
Toss in the rocket/parsley, bresaola/speck/ham, cheese and lemon zest, blend everything gently.
Serve the salad into individual serving bowl/plate, then spoon on the mustard, blend it into the salad and enjoy!!

Buon Appetito!!:chef:

Last edited:
Urmaniac, for years I have been making a marinated mushroom dressing. I slice fresh mushrooms and marinate them in prepared Good Seasons Italian Dressing. (any garlic/herb vinaigrette would work fine.) Sometimes I add a drained can of artichoke hearts and sliced black olives to the marinade as well. I use it to dress any green salad, along with grape tomatoes, julienned hard salami or pepperoni, and a few peels of parmesan cheese.
I like your idea of using the mustard...I think I'll add some to my vinaigrette next time.

Marinated mushroom dressing combined with artichoke... sounds really good constance! We will need to do some experiments with this idea...:-p Thanx!

Both marinated mushrooms and artichokes are excellent mixed with a big bowl of cream cheese (or other soft cheese) and spread on crostini or bruschetta.

Yesss... we also use robiola + mushrooms and / or artichokes "sotto olio" for crostini... molto yummy!!
4.gif

Back
Top Bottom