"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Head Chef

Summertime Chicken Salad - TNT

I love chicken salad, particularly during the summer when it's too hot to cook. This salad is a little more substantial for a main course/meal. A homemade or purchased rotisserie chicken makes it quick & easy - or grill/broil chicken breasts with lemon juice and tarragon (or herbs of choice). I don't measure - just go by feel/eye.

small red potatoes
green beans
mixed greens of choice
shredded roast chicken, homemade or purchased
tomatoes (grape, cherry, romas - whatever you like)
sliced black olives
siced red onion
fresh basil, torn or chopped thinly
Vinaigrette dressing
salt and freslhy-ground black pepper, to taste
herbed croutons to top the salad - or garlic bread on the side

Slice and cook the potatoes in boiling salted water - about 8-10 minutes. Add green beans and cook until the potatoes are tender and the green beans are crisp. Drain and cool. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat.

Place your mixed greens on serving plates and top with chicken, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and olives. Add the sliced onions and basil. Drizzle with vinaigrette, add s&p to taste. Top with seasoned croutons or serve garlic bread on the side.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Everymom

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! This sounds perfect for a hot day. I think I might omit the potatoes and add in some crumbled feta for myself. Thanks Amy.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! This sounds perfect for a hot day. I think I might omit the potatoes and add in some crumbled feta for myself. Thanks Amy.
I hope you like it. It's quick to put together when it's hot, hot hot. Leftover chicken works, or grilled salmon in place of the chicken, or spinach in place of the basil. Enjoy.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Everymom

oooooooo, Grilled salmon! One of my favorites. Not sure about pairing that with the feta cheese though. Chicken yes, salmon maybe not. Its a keeper for sure though. And lordy its hot enough for this to be on my menu sometime soon.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thought I'd bump this up again, as there are so many new members, & it is a great summer recipe. Hope you all enjoy.

Tags
None