Vinaigrette Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was one of those places that has no identity and serves a whole bunch of stuff that attempts to be trendy.

Just way too many of these places. The person I went with liked this restaurant though, so I obliged. The bottled beer and company was good though, so not every aspect of the experience was defunct.

For everyone here that says they used coddled eggs.......are you using an egg coddler or just dropping the egg whole and lightly boiling it in the shell?

I'm sure you have a zillion suggestions - but I'll throw in a few more.

Mince garlic with salt until it's a paste. Place in salad bowl in which you plan to serve the salad. Add 3 Tbsp. dijon mustard and about 2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar. Whisk to combine. SLOWLY in a THIN STREAM, whisk in as much olive oil as your dressing will take. It should look creamy and smooth - if you add too much olive oil, it will "break." If you add the olive oil too fast, it will break (separate).

If your bowl is running all over the counter, make a "third hand." Take a semi-damp kitchen towel and wind it into a circle on your counter - place the bowl into the circle and it will stay still while you're whisking.

If you do not dry the lettuce sufficiently, your dressing will turn into water. If you don't have a salad spinner and eat salad reasonably frequently, get one. You'll use it all the time. You can't go back to eating sopping wet lettuce once you've had a great vinaigrette that clings to dry lettuce leaves!

Variations...

Use some walnut oil and canola oil
Honey Mustard
Champagne Vinegar
S&P

Use some corn and sesame oil
Honey Mustard
Rice Wine Vinegar
S&P

Use some walnut oil and canola oil
Honey Mustard
Raspberry Vinegar
S&P

You can sub red wine vinegar for the balsamic, chop some basil and oregano and add them in.

The technique is half the battle. Keep making vinaigrettes - you'll totally rock at it and wonder how the heck you ever used bottled!

keltin said:
For everyone here that says they used coddled eggs.......are you using an egg coddler or just dropping the egg whole and lightly boiling it in the shell?

Either way is acceptable I do believe. Or you can place a room temp egg in a cup, pour boiling water around it, let set for 1 minute and then run under cold water. An actual egg coddler is good because you can "prepare" it first by coating the inside with butter and a sprinkling of salt and pepper first if that is the way you are going to eat your egg - YUM.

Back
Top Bottom