What Do You Put In Your Potato Salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
potatoes, hard-cooked eggs, sweet pickle relish, celery, red onion, bacon bits (freshly cooked bacon), coated with a mixture of either mayo or miracle whip and mustard - s & p.

...and what do you put in yours???

Last edited:
If I can disguise them so DH doesn't know what they are I also add some chopped gherkin.

I use Yukon golds, blue russets, and new potatoes. Crispy cooked bacon, grease reserved. Celery, hard boiled egg, red onion, celery salt, a little mayo, a little of the rendered bacon fat, bacon(of course), and a little bit of cayenne.

This is a recipe I developed last year, based on this same discussion.

Potato Salad all ingredients are “about”

About 4 pounds potatoes, diced, unpeeled, cooked

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 medium onion, finely chopped

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
2 t. prepared horseradish
1 T. prepared mustard
1 ½ t. salt
½ t. pepper

2 stalks celery, chopped
eggs, hard cooked and diced
3 ounces chopped smoked summer sausage
¼ cup smoked bacon, crumbled

paprika

Boil potatoes just until tender. Cool briefly, mix with oil, vinegar and diced onion. Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours.

Mix mayo, sour cream, horseradish, mustard, salt and pepper together. Stir into chilled potatoes. Add chopped vegetables, eggs and meats. Stir until well blended. Dust with paprika.

If you do not use the smoked meat, you will need to add more salt, up to 1 more teaspoon, or to taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Potatoes, hardboiled eggs, onion, celery, celery seed, salt, pepper, homemade mayo, miracle whip.

Mayonnaise

Beat 3 eggs. Add 1 cup sugar, 1tsp salt, 1 heaping Tbsp. flour, chunk of butter (about 3-4 Tbsp.),mustard ( about 2-3 Tbsp), 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 cup milk. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until thick.

This is my Grandma's recipe. We like to make the potato salad and eat it still warm! This mayo recipe is also good with spinach stirred in for a quick scalloped spinach recipe.

My family is so Plain Jane, I can't be that creative though all your recipes sound deelish! I just use Idahoes, hard boiled eggs, celery salt & ranch dressing. They love it, so I'll keep making it that way!

bethzaring said:
This is a recipe I developed last year, based on this same discussion.

Potato Salad all ingredients are “about”

About 4 pounds potatoes, diced, unpeeled, cooked

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 medium onion, finely chopped

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
2 t. prepared horseradish
1 T. prepared mustard
1 ½ t. salt
½ t. pepper

2 stalks celery, chopped
eggs, hard cooked and diced
3 ounces chopped smoked summer sausage
¼ cup smoked bacon, crumbled

paprika

Boil potatoes just until tender. Cool briefly, mix with oil, vinegar and diced onion. Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours.

Mix mayo, sour cream, horseradish, mustard, salt and pepper together. Stir into chilled potatoes. Add chopped vegetables, eggs and meats. Stir until well blended. Dust with paprika.

If you do not use the smoked meat, you will need to add more salt, up to 1 more teaspoon, or to taste.

Jeez, Beth, that's not a salad, that's a meal! Sounds delish!

I do mine like Cjs, minus the bacon.

Constance said:
Jeez, Beth, that's not a salad, that's a meal! Sounds delish!

I do mine like Cjs, minus the bacon.

:LOL: :LOL: Guess I should have posted a yield!

Okay, here goes,

one large and one small bowl........We seem to go to a lot of pot lucks in the fall and this recipe was developed to yield a nice size bowl of potato salad for the pot luck and a small bowl that stays home:)

One of our favorites...

Potatoes, red onion, fresh peas, tossed with mayo, spicy mustard & lots of fresh dill. If you make the "mayo" first & let it sit in the fridge it gets really dilly! (You can use frozen peas but fresh peas are so good when available).

Beth, Yours sounds super. Will ad to my file. Thanks Aria

In the late '60s, I entered a cooking contest with my potato salad, which was good enough to earn first place. Here it is:

KATIE’S POTATO SALAD​
(Serves 6)​
4 cups cooked potatoes, diced
½ cup cucumber, peeled seeded and finely minced
1 Tbsp. onion, finely minced
¾ tsp. celery seed
3 hardboiled eggs
1½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1½ cups sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup Rosé wine vinegar
1 tsp. prepared mustard
Romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
Sliced hardboiled eggs, for serving
Paprika, for garnish

Separate egg whites from yolks. Set yolks aside and chop whites. Mix together lightly the potatoes, cucumber, onion, celery seed, chopped egg whites, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl or in a blender or food processor, combine egg yolks, sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard.

If using a bowl, mash egg yolks and blend all ingredients until smooth. If using a blender or food processor, blend until creamy. Add to the potato mixture and toss until all vegetables are well coated. Refrigerate overnight before serving.

To serve, line a large salad bowl with lettuce leaves. Spoon the potato salad into bowl, top with slices of egg and sprinkle generously with paprika.

Note: What I do to keep the cucumbers from being too wet is to let them sit on some paper towels in a colander while I chop the other ingredients and prepare the "dressing."

I make the dressing with yogurt, oil, vinegar and/or lemon juice, salt, sugar, onions.

Then the following optional ingredients(not all of them, each time)
black pepper
white pepper
cheese
pickles
boiled eggs
fresh herbs

Mel:)

I don't put boiled eggs in mine. Eggs tends to give it that deviled egg smirk.
I generally make it for a bunch:

5 lbs of red potatoes (peeled & boiled)
1 pint jar of relish
1 pint jar of salad dressing
1/2 pint jar of yellow mustard

Toss & Serve.

I do agree with bethzaring about letting the potatoes cool. The potato salad holds up better and does not have a tendancy to get watery when stored.

I've never like the traditional potato salad but I do love potatoes so I make my potato salad like this:

Dice potatoes and butternut pumkin (about 2cm cubes) and toss in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper. Bake in a hot oven until they get golden brown and caramalised a bit.

Toss the cooked potatoes and pumkin with some baby spinach and crumbled feta (while still warm so the spinach wilts) and serve. It's best served warm but it's nice cold too.

It's probably not what you had in mind but I love it.

Katie, I had a dear friend, too soon gone, that put chopped fresh cucumber in her potato salad. I am not a cucumber lover, but it was delicious!
I never got her recipe (her mother's, actually). I've asked her husband and both daughters about it, but they don't have it either.
Yours recipe sounds a lot like Sara's. I'll bet it's REALLY good!

Back
Top Bottom