"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaluvstocook View Post
I just used the recipe two weeks ago! First year doing the bird on my own, so I made a test turkey. They only change I made was omitting candied ginger, I despise ginger. I also used a bird that was already injected. I failed to consider that when I bought the thing, so by then I was like what the heck, let me give it a shot, it is just a test turkey! The bird was fantastic! Not salty at all, nicely browned, and flavored to the bone. I have a pic on here buried somewhere in the general cooking forms.

Also, I can not recommend enough investing in the digital thermometer that Alton uses. One with a probe that can be used in oven. That takes all the guess work out of when your bird is done, you can't go wrong with it! I bought mine at Target for $15ish . Best of luck!
Well...now you have me reconsidering again! I've used dry brining methods on pre-injected turkeys in the past and they were never to salty....just more moist (only negative was last year's when the drippings were way too salty to make gravy with).

What to do, what to do. Butterball says "brining is not necessary but it won't hurt anything either" their response to an e-mail asking the question about brining an injected turkey. They even sent a recipe for brine.

Yes I plan on picking up the digital probe thermometer this weekend. Have been wanting one for a couple of years now. Thanks for sharing your experience!
__________________

__________________
Merinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merinda View Post
Well...now you have me reconsidering again! I've used dry brining methods on pre-injected turkeys in the past and they were never to salty....just more moist (only negative was last year's when the drippings were way too salty to make gravy with).

What to do, what to do. Butterball says "brining is not necessary but it won't hurt anything either" their response to an e-mail asking the question about brining an injected turkey. They even sent a recipe for brine.

Yes I plan on picking up the digital probe thermometer this weekend. Have been wanting one for a couple of years now. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I have brined a frozen Butterball even though it had been injected with a solution containing salt. It was fine and not overly salty.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have brined a frozen Butterball even though it had been injected with a solution containing salt. It was fine and not overly salty.
Ahhh...That is what I've been waiting to hear. Thank you.
__________________
Merinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
If I am brining, I don't spend the extra money on Butterball. That's just my 2 cents! ;-)
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
I'm doing a 21 lb. frozen Butterball using this method. As per Andy's suggestion, will use 1 tsp each of ground ginger and allspice. Any other tips? Thanks!
__________________
luv2cook35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
I'm using Alton's brining/cooking method for the first time this year too. I'm using a 13 lb. thawed organic turkey. I'm very excited! I bought the digital probe thermometer a couple days ago and just procured a food-safe bucket from the bakery dept at my grocer about an hour ago. It's all falling into place... now if the turkey would thaw already I'd be feeling pretty good about it... but that will probably be another post altogether if I can't get a handle on the panic I'm experiencing at the moment lol.
__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
I'm going to take the brining bag suggestions and line a cooler with that. Hoping the drippings won't be too salty for good gravy. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
luv2cook35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook35 View Post
I'm going to take the brining bag suggestions and line a cooler with that. Hoping the drippings won't be too salty for good gravy. Thanks for sharing!

When you take the turkey out of the brine, rinse the it thoroughly under running water inside and out.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
legend_018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 1,188
I can't believe a 14 lb turkey can really be done in this short amount of time. I saw his video and he said 1/2 hour on 500 degrees and the rest on 350 degrees. I think he said total time 2 hours which includes the 1/2 hour on 500. Than the print out says 2 to 2 1/2 hours total time, but still.
__________________
My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I'm using Alton's brining/cooking method for the first time this year too. I'm using a 13 lb. thawed organic turkey. I'm very excited! I bought the digital probe thermometer a couple days ago and just procured a food-safe bucket from the bakery dept at my grocer about an hour ago. It's all falling into place... now if the turkey would thaw already I'd be feeling pretty good about it... but that will probably be another post altogether if I can't get a handle on the panic I'm experiencing at the moment lol.
Don't fret too much, as long as it is thawed enough to get the bag of stuff out f the cavity it will finish thawing in the brine. Once in the brine it will be completely thawed within a couple of hours. If the bag of stuff is stuck in there frozen, just run cool water out of the faucet into the cavity and within a few minutes, it should thaw enough to get it out.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe, turkey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.