"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaluvstocook View Post
I just used the recipe two weeks ago! First year doing the bird on my own, so I made a test turkey. They only change I made was omitting candied ginger, I despise ginger. I also used a bird that was already injected. I failed to consider that when I bought the thing, so by then I was like what the heck, let me give it a shot, it is just a test turkey! The bird was fantastic! Not salty at all, nicely browned, and flavored to the bone. I have a pic on here buried somewhere in the general cooking forms.

Also, I can not recommend enough investing in the digital thermometer that Alton uses. One with a probe that can be used in oven. That takes all the guess work out of when your bird is done, you can't go wrong with it! I bought mine at Target for $15ish . Best of luck!
Well...now you have me reconsidering again! I've used dry brining methods on pre-injected turkeys in the past and they were never to salty....just more moist (only negative was last year's when the drippings were way too salty to make gravy with).

What to do, what to do. Butterball says "brining is not necessary but it won't hurt anything either" their response to an e-mail asking the question about brining an injected turkey. They even sent a recipe for brine.

Yes I plan on picking up the digital probe thermometer this weekend. Have been wanting one for a couple of years now. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merinda View Post
Well...now you have me reconsidering again! I've used dry brining methods on pre-injected turkeys in the past and they were never to salty....just more moist (only negative was last year's when the drippings were way too salty to make gravy with).

What to do, what to do. Butterball says "brining is not necessary but it won't hurt anything either" their response to an e-mail asking the question about brining an injected turkey. They even sent a recipe for brine.

Yes I plan on picking up the digital probe thermometer this weekend. Have been wanting one for a couple of years now. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I have brined a frozen Butterball even though it had been injected with a solution containing salt. It was fine and not overly salty.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have brined a frozen Butterball even though it had been injected with a solution containing salt. It was fine and not overly salty.
Ahhh...That is what I've been waiting to hear. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If I am brining, I don't spend the extra money on Butterball. That's just my 2 cents! ;-)

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Cook

I'm doing a 21 lb. frozen Butterball using this method. As per Andy's suggestion, will use 1 tsp each of ground ginger and allspice. Any other tips? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I'm using Alton's brining/cooking method for the first time this year too. I'm using a 13 lb. thawed organic turkey. I'm very excited! I bought the digital probe thermometer a couple days ago and just procured a food-safe bucket from the bakery dept at my grocer about an hour ago. It's all falling into place... now if the turkey would thaw already I'd be feeling pretty good about it... but that will probably be another post altogether if I can't get a handle on the panic I'm experiencing at the moment lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Cook

I'm going to take the brining bag suggestions and line a cooler with that. Hoping the drippings won't be too salty for good gravy. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook35 View Post
I'm going to take the brining bag suggestions and line a cooler with that. Hoping the drippings won't be too salty for good gravy. Thanks for sharing!

When you take the turkey out of the brine, rinse the it thoroughly under running water inside and out.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Head Chef

I can't believe a 14 lb turkey can really be done in this short amount of time. I saw his video and he said 1/2 hour on 500 degrees and the rest on 350 degrees. I think he said total time 2 hours which includes the 1/2 hour on 500. Than the print out says 2 to 2 1/2 hours total time, but still.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I'm using Alton's brining/cooking method for the first time this year too. I'm using a 13 lb. thawed organic turkey. I'm very excited! I bought the digital probe thermometer a couple days ago and just procured a food-safe bucket from the bakery dept at my grocer about an hour ago. It's all falling into place... now if the turkey would thaw already I'd be feeling pretty good about it... but that will probably be another post altogether if I can't get a handle on the panic I'm experiencing at the moment lol.
Don't fret too much, as long as it is thawed enough to get the bag of stuff out f the cavity it will finish thawing in the brine. Once in the brine it will be completely thawed within a couple of hours. If the bag of stuff is stuck in there frozen, just run cool water out of the faucet into the cavity and within a few minutes, it should thaw enough to get it out.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, turkey