"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The turkey is roasting, the Janssen's Temptation potatoes are ready. The krumkake is defeating me--for some reason, they are too brown--but crispy. I think the DH ruined my grandma's krumkake iron--I think he washed it. Frig, frig, frig. I think I will take a nap. Thank goodness after today, the cooking is done.
Try seasoning it again.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Try seasoning it again.
It has wooden handles on it...and is probably 75-100 years old. It was perfect. Now my
krumkake is too dark...what did he do to it??????

Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #33
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It has wooden handles on it...and is probably 75-100 years old. It was perfect. Now my
krumkake is too dark...what did he do to it??????
I agree with Addie, try re-seasoning it. Maybe put a little lemon oil on the handles if they are dried out.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I agree with Addie, try re-seasoning it. Maybe put a little lemon oil on the handles if they are dried out.
I never seasoned it in the first place--I season my CI pans in the oven..how should I re-seaon this--on the stovetop? I'm so P.O.'ed. I've had it for 40 years--and it made perfect krumkake. Now the krumkake sticks and is too dark. Good thing he's not here--I am not in the Christmas spirit at the moment. He'll be here in 6 hours...best figure out how to fix my krumkake iron between now and then. I'd go get my mom's krumkake iron, but she is 24 hours away. Maybe I can use the batter for waffles?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Salmon is thawing, I'm going to cook our dinner for this evening so I can be a slug all day tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Poo called me and wanted to know what to do with lobsters. Geesh, didn't that kid learn anything about living in New England? I think he has too much Texas in him. That is where he was born. I told him to make a salad with mayo and celery and stuff tomatoes or put it in toasted hot dog buns. His wife has never had lobster. She is from Albania. When I told her she has to plunge them in boiliing water while they are alive, she almost fainted. So I told her to buy them already cooked. Cost more, but will save her sanity. I didn't have the heart to tell her about sticking a knife right into them while they are alive and kickinig. So now it is turkey breast, ham and lobster. YUM!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Lightly wipe a very light coat of veggie oil over the metal plates and heat over a burner. Protect the wooden handles.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Lightly wipe a very light coat of veggie oil over the metal plates and heat over a burner. Protect the wooden handles.
I'm on it. Now what should I do with the shrimp I just got for 29 cents each? picked up a dozen (what I really needed was dishwashing soap, how I wandered past the fish / seafood aisle is beyond me. I wasn't planning on serving shrimp, but the price was sooooo good and they are fresh. I have all kinds of vinegars, crab boil mix, Vermouth, vodka, sherry, marsala (sweet), white wine. ,I have fennel, fresh dill, cilantro, Italian parsley, sage, lavender (okay, the last two probably wouldn't be great with shrimp). No cocktail sauce, but I have horseradish, tomato sauce, onions, garlic, and spices up the ying yang. Since turkey is on the menu and I have some stuff already for appys, just not sure what to do with the shrimp. Impulse buying is just not good.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

My family loves them boiled til just pink and dipped in melted butter as an appetizer.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My family loves them boiled til just pink and dipped in melted butter as an appetizer.
Butter, butter, butter (with some roasted garlic) and steamed with the crab-boil mix....yum!!!!! I assume everyone has to peel their own.

I have some butter from Ireland I've been saving...that's the butter to use, don't you think? Just like little baby lobsters. And, I'm going to save the shells for fish stock. This new grocery store in my little town sells fish heads!!!

How are you feeling?

Tags
christmas, dinner