"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Wow Addie, Easter is big for us! Not in a commercial way, but in a spiritual way.
We will be having brunch at a friends house, only because I have no family close by, and these are close friends who are very much like family. Sorry that it is a chemo week for your daughter. I'm sure as a mom it is very hard for you. My son was only eight when he had cancer, and I know it was very difficult for me. I know that it wouldn't matter how old your kids are, you are still the mommy. Prayers going out for your daughter once again, and also for you.
Thank you chopper. I think after the death of a child, the worst word a parent can hear is "cancer". And when I heard "cancer of the brain" it sent me reeling. Winthrop had to send me some tranquilizers to get me back on an even keel. If anyone at that moment had needed me for a physical emergency, I would have been absolutely useless.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you chopper. I think after the death of a child, the worst word a parent can hear is "cancer". And when I heard "cancer of the brain" it sent me reeling. Winthrop had to send me some tranquilizers to get me back on an even keel. If anyone at that moment had needed me for a physical emergency, I would have been absolutely useless.
Scary news can make the body shut down, and I have been there. I'm glad that things seem to be going well now with her treatment.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Haven't really given it much thought. Since I've retired and don't really keep any sort of schedule, much less calendar, Easter will probably be like any other Sunday.

However, as I reviewed this week's Kroger ad, ham is on special and we both love ham. I may pick up a nice big one and cook it. I have a craving for fresh asparagus, which would be good with the ham. Beyond that...?

I'd like to make a new dessert but nothing has tickled my fancy as of yet, but there's still time. My only obstacle is that inspiration has to hit before I go to the market tomorrow. We live some distance from food shopping sources, which makes spur of the moment things a bit of a challenge. Our pantry is pretty well stocked but, somehow, we always seem to be missing one critical ingredient when I get up to do something spontaneous. We'll see.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #34
Wine Guy

Easter is normally the holiday where we have family over and I make a traditional roast leg of lamb on the grill. It's probably my all-time favorite meal. Last month, though, I broke my ankle and am still on the mend, so dinner at our house is out this year. As of now, we're planning to go over to my mother-in-law's.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Things are still up in the air. We have a frozen turkey that we are going to have on Monday. Probably do the classic turkey dinner with it at my GF's son's house. It's not a tradition, but everybody likes it.

As far as my side of the family goes, nobody really knows yet. Lot's of options. Could be pot luck at my sisters, or head to my mothers to keep her company. She is getting some wisdom teeth surgery this week so she may not be up to much.

We have been invited to my friend/boss's house on Saturday for a roasted lamb over a spit. That is usually a well soaked affair with too much alcohol. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Soooooo, looks like a three day afair..... wish me luck...
Good luck and enjoy your three day pig out.