"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
We use to have potlucks at work for many holidays. Anything in a crock pot - ( baked beans, cheese potatoes, sloppy joes, mostacholi) all went over well. Along with deviled eggs and any bar dessert. I use to put ground chuck in my b.beans and my male boss loved them. Also, I agree the meatballs above are very good and easy.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Master Chef

I like to make chicken sandwiches. I like to call them sloppy janes! You can use any kind of chicken off the bone and the cheaper pieces work better than all breasts. I've even used canned chicken at times. I boil the chicken the day before and remove it from the bone and shred it up a bit. Then put it in a crockpot with a can of cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper to taste and cook several hours. you have to stir it some to continue to break up the chicken but in the end you have a thick creamy chicken mixture similar to sloppy joe consistency. I've been known to use lemon pepper in it too to give a different flavor and I've also added powdered ranch dressing mix. Serve it on buns or biscuits and people usually love it.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Chimichurri on baguettes - lean and filling and perfect not heated. All the cooking can be done the night before.

1 1/2 lb trimmed flank steak
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large garlic clove
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Preheat broiler. Pat steak dry.

Mix this rub in a bowl: 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, coriander, and pepper - rub mixture onto both sides of steak and let sit for about 30 minutes on the counter. Broil steak on a broiler pan about 4 inches from heat 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes. DO NOT CUT this before the 10 minutes.

With food processor running add garlic and finely chop. Add cilantro, parsley, vinegar, oil, cayenne, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pulse until herbs are finely chopped.

Cut meat across grain at a 45 degree angle. Place on a plate with the sauce close by. Serve slightly toasted baguette slices. Let them put a slice of meat on the baguette and drizzle sauce on top.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Here are two recipes we have done before which work quite well. They have been enjoyed by all who partake. The quiche is a small one but you can double or triple the ingredients easily - it will take longer to cook.

Savoury Quiche

Ingredients;

125g self raising flour
50 ml cooking oil
50ml boiling water
3 rashers bacon
1 large shallot or small onion.
50g grated cheese
2 eggs
150ml milk
Salt & pepper

Method

1, Put flour and oil in a bowl
2. Add boiling water and mix well.
3. Press into 7inch flan dish so bottom and sides are lined
4 Cut off the rind and chop the bacon. Slice onion.
5. Fry these in a little oil.
6. Beat the eggs in a bowl.
7. Add grated cheese, milk, bacon and onion and mix well
8. Season to taste.
9. Pour into flan case.
10 Bake for30 minutes at 200C/400F/Gas 6 until set.

Sausage and Bean casserole

Ingredients

500g / 1lb sausages
1 large onion
2 x 446g cans baked beans
175g / 6oz chopped dried apricots
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
salt & pepper

Method

1 Chop the onion

2 Prick the sausages all over, then fry in a dry frying pan until they are browned. Rernove from the pan, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) slices and set aside.

3 Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan and add the onion. Fry until softened then drain and put into a casserole.

4 Add the sausage slices, baked beans, apricots, sugar and mustard. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.

5 Cover and cook in a preheated moderate oven, 180C (350F), Gas Mark 4, for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

One of my absolute favorites... serve with good quality crackers..

Cooks.com - Recipe - Jezebel Sauce
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
Master Chef

Just thought you folks might want to know that the above poster - here posting as "Grocerylists" is a spammer.

He/she has been posting on any & every cooking & gardening bulletin board on the planet these past several days (Organic Gardening, GardenWeb, The Garden Forums - to name just a few. Registers with a different user name each time & posts a different "homey" little story, conveniently inserting the "Foldtuk" product link.

When companies stoop to this level, I wouldn't touch their product with a 10-foot pole. Extremely sleazy.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i agree, and if people wouldn't buy they would go out of business.

babe
Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Just thought you folks might want to know that the above poster - here posting as "Grocerylists" is a spammer.
That would explain why they offered a potluck tip for an event that happened 6 months ago
Old 07-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #19
Master Chef

Oh, this company thinks they're VERY clever - lol!! They "try" to make the little stories "fit" with the BB/thread. For GardenWeb, it was the "birdwatching" forum & how the product was great to take along for birdwatching. For the other gardening BB's they always tried to "fit" it into gardening somehow. Always with lots of personal tidbits & sometimes an "introductory" non-selling post on another thread. It's SO transparent. How shameful that they think we're so easily misled.

I bet if you go to other gardening or cooking boards you frequent & do a search on the product, you'll find them there too.

Like I said, I for one, even if this was the greatest thing since sliced bread, wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Just because of their marketing tactics.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

When I first saw the link, I wondered if this person was a salesperson for the product like some people do Tupperware or Shaklee stuff. I thought it was too much of a promo though. Glad to see the admins have removed the post! Thanks for looking out for us!