Where Can I Get Lightweight Non-Stick Pots for the Elderly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yajee

Assistant Cook
Hello all,

Mum is elderly now and she can't life the pots and pans that she used to. Do you guys know of any non-stick light weight pots that are made for the elderly, easy to lift and clean etc? In the UK is preferred but let me know even if you have suggestions online that are not from the UK, I might be able to find equivalents in the UK.

Just need them to be as light as possible and non-stick.

Thank you.

Light weight pots are usually the least expensive ones. They are made of thinner metal, usually aluminum, so weigh less.

Before making any investment, it is a good idea to ask or observe Mum to see how she is using the pots and pans. Using on the stovetop is one thing, but if she needs to pop them in the oven too, you'll need something that is rated to take that temperature. Meaning, that the handles won't melt in the oven.

That said, I've had great luck with the Granitestone stuff. I have an inexpensive wok that is made from that and I love using it and DH loves how easy it is to clean up too. I can tell the handles can't go in the oven though. It is lightweight.

I have a Circulon anodized pans too. They are great and the handles will hold up to the oven, but they are a tad heavier and not so cheap.

If they use the oven, consider light weight aluminum pie plates and aluminum pans, using parchment is GREAT for no contact with the aluminum and easy clean up. I'm not THAT old but I really like doing it this way.

I would start by going through her kitchen and pulling together a few favorites.

If she only cooks for herself using smaller pans should also mean lighter pans.

I would fill in any gaps by looking at the shipping weights of individual pots and pans online.

This link has some information on lightweight cookware for the elderly and people with arthritis.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Mum is elderly now and she can't life the pots and pans that she used to. Do you guys know of any non-stick light weight pots that are made for the elderly, easy to lift and clean etc? In the UK is preferred but let me know even if you have suggestions online that are not from the UK, I might be able to find equivalents in the UK.

Just need them to be as light as possible and non-stick.

Thank you.
I'm curious......
How old is "elderly"?

I think I'm stirring up some trouble here today ;)

Before making any investment, it is a good idea to ask or observe Mum to see how she is using the pots and pans. Using on the stovetop is one thing, but if she needs to pop them in the oven too, you'll need something that is rated to take that temperature. Meaning, that the handles won't melt in the oven.

That said, I've had great luck with the Granitestone stuff. I have an inexpensive wok that is made from that and I love using it and DH loves how easy it is to clean up too. I can tell the handles can't go in the oven though. It is lightweight.

I have a Circulon anodized pans too. They are great and the handles will hold up to the oven, but they are a tad heavier and not so cheap.
Thanks Ginny, she doesn't need it for the oven just the stove top, I've picked up an aluminium one so it's cool.

LOL, Silversage, my sister got rid of her CI stuff when she turned 70. I'm still using mine and I will be 79 this year. (OMG - WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN.. it's not true - somebody's lying!!! :whistling )
I admit when it is time to go in the oven or if I want to drain - oof! I think very carefully about how I'm going to go about it!

I have been pondering this issue myself. And I am not telling you my age! (Too young to admit it yet I suppose!) But I am finding pots and pans too heavy.

Only today, I saw someone cooking fish in a frying pan, but on top of some greaseproof paper "so it didnt stick". Revelation! Can I cook ALL things in a frying pan by lining it with GP? If so, I can use much lighter pans!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom