July 4, 2012 - Menu/Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
House full of grandkids and their parents, unmarried son is bringing fireworks, plus we will sit outside and watch several fireworks shows that are great. Our dinner or our snacks will be Bruschetta pomdoro with a dousing of Worchestershire and evoo, prosciutto wrapped melon bites,mushrooms stuffed with ham and herbs,creme fraise,pesto and anchovy canapes, pastry sticks twisted and then rolled in finely chopped ham or prosciutto and herbs parsley and basil,salt and pepper then baked, five spice almonds, Hot dogs or burgers or or or some sausage for a special place we like you name it they make it the kids want the apple or the hawiian watermelon, corn on the cob,eggplant strips, chips, that is it desserts will be ice cream
kades

Steve Kroll said:
It was my mother's birthday as well. When I was a kid, dad would joke about how mom's birthday was such a big deal that the town put on a fireworks show to celebrate it. :)

:LOL: When growing up, DH thought the fireworks and parades were all about his birthday too!

Actually, he still does think that...

Last edited:
not a clue, my daughter's bday is the eighth and mine the twelfth, so we usually kinda just lump the whole business altogether. probably at my son's. he is the one with the pool.

We're going on vacation to Michigan around the first, so will probably be at my in-laws' for the holiday. They'll probably have the usual burgers, dogs, ribs, fries, potato salad, green salad, grilled corn, etc. Good stuff :)

it depends on when they shut down the streets, but i'm hoping to gather friends and family and head to my building on the west side in the city, just a few hundred feet from the barges on the hudson that will be shooting off nyc's fireworks. lol, if the right security guards are on duty, we can head to the roof to watch the fireworks, and maybe even fire up a small grill for burgers and dogs.

P. Fiona,

Do you mean Blues as in Miles Davis and Billie Holiday ?

Sounds wonderful, especially with an array of A to Z baked goods to accompany the sounds of live music ? !

Have a lovely Sunday,
Ciao, Margi.

I like the idea of some *Blues... There's a club here called Simply Blues. Havent been there in eons. Hmmm. There's an idea. Tell us about Bernice's Bakery.

Local Blues artists...I'm hoping Shrek can get an invite to play. Here's the notice for the Bernice's Bakery: Bernice's Bakery

And you can find all their goodies listed and described on the site as well.

Pool party and potluck at a friends house. I have a six pound pork shoulder and a fresh jug of Pepper Tree Plantation bbq sauce, so I'm making pulled pork for sandwiches, and creamy cole slaw, home made dressing with caraway seed. I don't intend to spend much time in the kitchen.

Our little town has a huge Independence Day celebration. There will be a parade , a street fair with lots of vendors, pony rides, etc. A car show and the biggest fireworks show in the area.
DH and I will help out at the car show (our car will be entered)

image-3968131907.jpg. Not the best pic as the top is not down, but the only one I have on my iPhone which I am posting from :(

We will entertain 20 or so guests for dinner and fireworks viewing. We will be serving Smoky boneless country style BBQ ribs, the oft requested from scratch baked beans, old fashioned (mustard and egg) potato salad, coleslaw and garlic stuffed artisan bread. Iced tea, lemonade, homemade beer and wine. Either strawberry shortcake or the yummy looking "Glorious Red White and Blue Cake"from Epicurious.

Last edited:
Our little town has a huge Independence Day celebration. There will be a parade , a street fair with lots of vendors, pony rides, etc. A car show and the biggest fireworks show in the area.
DH and I will help out at the car show (our car will be entered)

View attachment 14108. Not the best pic as the top is not down, but the only one I have on my iPhone which I am posting from :(

We will entertain 20 or so guests for dinner and fireworks viewing. We will be serving Smoky boneless country style BBQ ribs, the oft requested from scratch baked beans, old fashioned (mustard and egg) potato salad, coleslaw and garlic stuffed artisan bread. Iced tea, lemonade, homemade beer and wine. Either strawberry shortcake or the yummy looking "Glorious Red White and Blue Cake"from Epicurious.

I want to go to your house!

Since I responded to this line, the local vineyard drafted us to be in the parade on their Army surplus deuce and a half. So much for opting out of going to the parade!

Since it is supposed to be very hot, next step will be finding the closest eatery. May have friend with broken leg go find and anchor a table, since climbing aboard a 2 1/2 ton truck isn't in her immediate future! But finding a place in air conditioned luxury will be a priority

Last edited:
Claire said:
I want to go to your house!

Claire you would be so welcome! I could have used your help in the kitchen tonight with all the food prep for tomorrow. DH did a great job of helping and we are ready! I think it's great that you will be on the parade "representing". Hope you find that air conditioning for afterward, I feel so bad for all of those who are sweltering in the heat, it was 55 again here yesterday......just weird, should be nicer the rest of the week tho.

Happy Independence Day to all the DC Americans!

london broil, potato salad w/ fresh herbs-sour cream dressing, corn tomatoes mixed beans (grn n yllw)

My eldest is coming over after they watch the parade. I'm not cooking out, I'm cooking in. But we'll eat outside.

A little offbeat for a 4th of July meal but we're having sub sandwiches with meatballs or sausages or both with sauce and cheese, ranch potato salad with bacon, corn on the cob and ice cream sundaes in waffle cone bowls.

Beverages for all ages will be served.

Happy July 4th From Across The Atlantic

:) Buonasera To My Colleagues at D.C.,

Just a note to wish everyone a Happy July 4th and a wonderful day filled with dynamic company and a lovely lunch.

Ciao.
Kind regards.
Margaux Cintrano.

Happy 4th of July, everyone...time for picnics, BBQs, parades, and fireworks! Enjoy!

Something light--the temp has soared back up to 30C without the humidex. So...soaked some garbanzo beans, they are cooking now--walnut humus with homemade wholewheat pita pockets (those only take 5 minutes to bake, so that won't heat up the kitchen too much), some of the leftover "Shake 'em up" pasta salad to which I might add some crumbled bacon today, dolmadas (have some in the freezer), and homemade strawberry-pepper ice cream. I think that will hit the spot later today. And, a nice tall ice cold glass of homemade limeade made with lime seltzer and lime ice cubes.

We had leftovers for lunch then we'll head to Williamsburg for a concert my son is playing (tuba in a community band). From Williamsburg we'll head to my sister's house. She's got the food all taken care of and I don't have to take anything! We'll do fireworks in her back yard.

Back
Top Bottom