"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
Cook

Send a message via AIM to GaArt Send a message via Yahoo to GaArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
We have a mobile "Shrimp Shack" on the north shore that makes big $$$$$$.
I don't know wasabi ... seems like anything would be good on the north shore.. thats Hawaii right?

I've always wanted to do something like that. but never had the credit to get going.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Executive Chef

GaArt.....Yes, north shore on Oahu, home of the monster surf.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

Anybody here familiar with the "roach coach?" That little vending truck that comes to business places during breaks and lunch. I've never met anyone who has passed up the "roach coach." Hot sandwiches, soup, ice cream, cold drinks, chips, and candy...etc.

Anybody ever sell spudnuts? How about candy bars? You can print out your own candy wrappers.

Schwann's is a company that sells meat/seafood etc. and delivers it to your door. You can also buy off the truck when it's in the neighborhood even if you haven't placed an order.

The cost of insurance and license is not all that much. It's just a bit intimidating. There are a lot of little commerical sites where you can set up a kitchen.

We had a caterer start out in an old furniture store in an older area of town. Now they are on main street in a nice restaurant.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
Master Chef

Never been impressed anywhere else (yes, we called them all roach coaches) but some of the plate lunch wagons in Hawaii are to die for. Very international in flavor. Hey, Wasabi, do they still farm the shrimp right there? Schwanns is very popular almost everywhere I've lived, although I've never bought from them. My older friends, especially those who are widowed, like the convenience of having a freezer full of nutritious (yes, their catalog has all the nutrition counts for meal planning) meals that only require a bag of greens for salad to make complete.