"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thanksgiving dinner for 2

We are going to my husbands parents for lunch, and his mom said they are buying turkey "slices" from the store. To me, it sounds like deli meat and not a true traditional turkey. So, I want to make me and my husband a real one for dinner, however I am having a problem: The smallest turkey I have found so far is 9 lbs, which is a bit too big, I think. Do they make smaller ones? Does AJ Fine Foods carry small ones like that?

Old 11-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
hmm how bout turkey breasts. i think the smallest turkey youll ever find is like a 8 lb. cause i found a 8 lb at cosco

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Butterball has small turkeys called Li'l Butterball. You can also find turkey breasts all over the place.

Why not roast a big turkey? That's what I do. I divide the leftover into plastic freezer bags and freeze them for future use.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Is the turkey breast white meat or dark meat? Hubby likes dark meat .. I guess I could buy a 9 lb and freeze it or if we get tire of it, toss it.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I think anything smaller would be a chicken. You also have to remember part of that weight is bone. By the time you subtract that, it might be gone in a couple of meals. Have pets, they would enjoy some turkey.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Well, a turkey breast would be fine. It is, of course, all white meat. The little turkeys tend to be all bone, so I go for the 12 punder, even if it's just for 2. I take it all apart and freeze some of it immediately. Then I make soup with the bones. I don't hesitate to make a whole turkey for just 2 people but I like the turkey breast as well. I like the taste of turkey and it freezes well, so don't think you have to eat turkey for a week.

BC
Old 11-22-2004, 09:58 PM   #7
Head Chef

Tiggerbengal, like you there are two of us.

We buy a 14 to 16 lb. bird.

After T-day dinner we have leftovers and sandwiches (including hot turkey sandwiches with gravy).

But I think little beats a sandwich of turkey with stuffing, mayo, and fresh ground pepper.

Then we take the rest of the meat and and make turkey pot pies (always look forward to those), and finally use the carcass and the remains for soup.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Buy a larger turkey (about 12 pounds is considered the best size) and have the butcher cut it in half with his power saw. He can cut it while it's still frozen.

You can stuff and roast half now and keep the other half frozen to be cooked later.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
Senior Cook

It's not the same as turkey, but for two you could make an attractive presentation and romantic dinner with cornish hens and some sort of savory glaze or sauce. Then again, there's always duck. Not much on those.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Our local stores have breast (white meat) and leg/thigh (dark meat) available separately. White meat is preferred by the majority of people, so your local meat person might be willing to cut some dark for you if they don't sell it separately.