"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions! Hope you all have a great valentines day

Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Master Chef

Got one more idea for you to consider;

This is so simple, and tastes great. You will need fresh scallops, butter, angel-hair pasta, a little cream, fresh clams, and lump crab meat.

Put a tbs. or so of butter into a saute pan and get it hot enough to fry in. In another pot, heat 1/2 cup of water to boiling, and place the clams in the pot. Cover and cook until the clams open. Cook the pasta, then dress with butter and a bit of cream.

While the pasta is cooking, fry the scallops on each side until lightly browned. When the pasta is cooked, drained, and dressed, plate it. Place scallops and clams onto the plate.

Make a blonde roux from 2 tbs. butter and 2 tbs. flour. stir in clam broth until a sauce is formed. Season with a quarter tsp. of Old Bay. Stir the lump crab meat into the sauce. Ladle sauce over pasta, scallops, and clams. Serve hot.

For desert, I'm thinking something simple, like Hershey's Kisses, or chocolate covered cherries, in a romantic setting. And as BT said...

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

hi everyone,

I would like to make a nice dinner for my boy friend to surprise him. Is there any good suggestion on such a special Valentine's Day? I am focusing on a English cuisine. I prefer a grill dish at least.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Skewer up some kebabs. Thread vegetables on separate skewers as their cooking times can vary. Well, maybe put onion slices between each piece of meat you choose to use. Brush with a favorite sauce while cooking.

Chocolate. Enjoy the day.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleCindy View Post
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to make a dinner for my boyfriend and myself this coming thursday, but wasn't sure what to make. We've been dating a long time now, so it's not like I have to impress him or something, I just figured I would do something special for him, since he is always treating me. That being said, I really don't plan on making a five course meal, just something flavourful, not terribly time consuming (I have a seriously busy schedule) and delicious! I was thinking maybe a pasta, but I'm still up in the air. Any suggestions? What are you guys doing for your special someone this Valentines Day??
Welcome to DC.

Pasta is a good choice. So many ways to go, i.e. lasagna, manicotti, stuffed shells, linguine & clam sauce & on & on. I don't know what you two like, but time-constraint-wise, you might go with steak, salad, potato & dessert.

We are going to a French restaurant, but I have some ideas for future "romantic" dinners, i.e.

Baked Camembert w/ marcona almonds, & sliced pears drizzled w/ lemon juice, on the side.

Quail stuffed w/ figs wrapped in prosciutto, risotto w/ chanterelles, & asparagus w/ lemon juice.

Happy Valentine's Day.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
Master Chef

Site Administrator

My duck is still frozen on one side (I took it out of the freezer Tuesday).

I will just make that tomorrow. Wonder what Kathleen will make me for dinner now.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I stopped at the store and there was a tiramisu sitting there looking lonely...so, we had dessert for dinner with coffee.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Kathleen brought home two crabs (the west coast type) and a big bag o clams from Costco.

Seafood feast I tell ya.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Master Chef

Cost me 60 bucks, but had a buffet with DW that included perfectly cooked cauliflower and broccoli, with Hollendaise sauce, Battered cod, fried shrimp, crab-cake stuffed whitefish, very tender pork tenderloin, with cherry sauce, a slice of pepperoni pizza, tender, medium rare standing rib roast, chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate covered pinapple (they had a chocolate fountain), and cold milk. I may have forgotten something, oh, cheese filled ravioli with meat sauce.

Everything was cooked perfectly except for the breaded shrimp, which was slightly overcooked.

Best of all, I hopped on the scales this morning and found myself less than a pound heavier. I'll work that off, and more, this weekend. It's snowing here. I'll be breaking out the shovel, after early morning ice fishing, and helping a lady move.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Kathleen brought home two crabs (the west coast type).
dungeoness?

or was that after dinner for not thawing the duck?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, dinner, love, pasta, valentines