What can I take to the neighbors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vagriller said:
I vote for Cold Stone ice cream cake! Always - and I mean always - a hit!

I agree, vagriller! Recently my friend ordered a banana split ice-cream cake, and the market was all out. But, I'll bet the ice cream chains will have quite a selection.

Re gift baskets, another thought is, make it Italian. An easy basket to put together, dried pasta (tri-color, or whatever strikes your fancy), san marzanos, couple of heads of garlic, good olive oil, olives, mozzarella, and deliver it to my house. :LOL: If you have a favorite pasta recipe using the ingredients, include a recipe card as well. Gift baskets are so much fun putting together, and you can make a foodie basket depending on the recipient's tastes... i.e. a breakfast basket - pancake mix, bacon, berries, syrups, tea assortments. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
thanks, lulu for sharing your recipe - sounds yummy! mish, va, and ur - your suggestions are great! There's no place to purchase ice cream cakes or pies around here. I love the idea of putting together a "going away" package for them. I'll have to start working on that. Thanks again for the suggestions. :)

I like to entertain. And I like to go out and be entertained...that said...lol,
I'd rather I didn't get a gift of food that has to be offered that evening, as my menu has been planned etc. etc....Flowers are lovely, IF they are sent ahead of time. There's nothing as aggrevating as having to fuss with flowers when your guests arrive. I usually take, as so many have mentioned, a basket of goodies...doesn't have to be a basket...Also I make my own red pepper/apricot/jalapeno jelly and I always include that with any wines, chocolates etc. that we bring. Enjoy your evening with your nice neighbours...you are lucky!!!

ella/TO said:
I like to entertain. And I like to go out and be entertained...that said...lol,
I'd rather I didn't get a gift of food that has to be offered that evening, as my menu has been planned etc. etc....Flowers are lovely, IF they are sent ahead of time. There's nothing as aggrevating as having to fuss with flowers when your guests arrive. I usually take, as so many have mentioned, a basket of goodies...doesn't have to be a basket...Also I make my own red pepper/apricot/jalapeno jelly and I always include that with any wines, chocolates etc. that we bring. Enjoy your evening with your nice neighbours...you are lucky!!!

Ella, admittedly, I'm not a fan of hot & spicy (jalapeno), but, your red pepper/apricot/jalapeno jelly sounds delish. Can you share the recipe with us? Thanks in advance.:)

Hi Mish: Here is the recipe....quite easy to make...(.I sterilize my jars in the dishwasher. I don't use a water bath at all)
Approx. 4 large red peppers
1 1/4 c jalapeno peppers
1 c chopped dried apricots
2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
2 tsp. salt
10 cups granulated sugar
1 bottle (170ml.) liquid fruit pectin
Seed peppers and chop coarsely in food processor. Puree, 1/3 at a time with chili pepper and cayenne
In Large saucepan, combine peppers, vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Stir in sugar, bring back to boil and boil 5 minutes longer. Add pectin and boil 1 minute longer. Take off heat, skim. Pour into jars. Makes about 12 cups.....ENJOY!!!

Back
Top Bottom