Bread pudding and applesauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I am sitting here thinking that I have an abundance of bread to use up soooo I thought I would make a bread pudding but I don't really have anything for a sauce. I do have applesauce that I made. Could I do something to that? Add spices? Butter?

Thanks.

I am sitting here thinking that I have an abundance of bread to use up soooo I thought I would make a bread pudding but I don't really have anything for a sauce. I do have applesauce that I made. Could I do something to that? Add spices? Butter?

Thanks.
elaine, how about a rum sauce it's just butter sugar and rum, or a vanilla sauce. You could use evap milk in the pudding, add raisins and nuts or chocolate chips and nuts...
kadesma

Miss Elaine...I'm thinking.. play with butter, brown sugar, a little cinnamon, and add that to some of your applesauce...could be very good!!!

Not a recipe for a sauce, but a use for the leftover bread. I grew up with this recipe and was always a family favourite. It is quick, easy, cheap and satisfying. Perfect on a cool night.

Winter Pudding

This is a quick dish to make and a good way to use up some of that left over bread.

75g white bread
140mLs milk
50g butter
50g sugar
150g mixed fruit
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 large pinches mixed spice
1 large egg
castor sugar (for serving)
grated lemon zest (for serving)

Pre-heat oven to 180 deg Celcius. Grease a pie dIsh (approx one litre volume). Break bread into small pieces and place in mixing bowl. Heat milk and butter until butter is melted. Pour onto bread and stir. Add fruit, lemon juice and mixed spice. Stir. Add egg and stir. Put into pie dish and bake for one hour on centre shelf. Pudding should have a nice brown crust on top. While hot, sprinkle with castor sugar and a little grated lemon zest . Serve hot with custard or icecream. Maybe served cold as well.

I grew up with this recipe and was always a family favourite. It is quick, easy, cheap and satisfying. Perfect on a cool night.

This recipe for Bread Pudding is similar to another recipe I grew up with. We didn't have it as a dessert but as a cake, straight as it was. On occassion, I remember it being cooked in the electric fry pan too. Mum used to add powdered milk to the recipe. The texture of the cake is very heavy and quite solid and moist like a mud cake. Never encountered another dish like it. My brother and dad loved the stuff so it was a regular in our house. It was probably a safer bet that you find bread pudding in the house than fresh bread!

Back
Top Bottom