Queen of Puddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynan

Sous Chef
This is neither a cobbler or crisp so I apologise If I have put it where it shouldnae be!

I meant to post this recipe a wee while ago after we had a Bread Pudding discussion so here it is.:neutral:

The recipe is from Delia Smith. I always used my mother's until a few years ago and found this one to be a little bit nicer than the fabulous one mum did! ( sorry if you can read this mum:angel: )
This looks wonderful if cooked in glass, great to see the layers. I would love to try individual ones in glass also but dont have the dishes right now. Thats on the to buy list.:rolleyes:

QUEEN OF PUDDINGS

4 ozs Fresh White Bread Crumbs
2 ozs Sugar
Pinch Salt
2 Cups Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 oz Butter
Grated rind of 1 Lemon
2 Eggs, seperated
4 Tbsps Raspberry Jam

Bring vanilla and milk to boil in a saucepan, remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs, 1 oz of the sugar, lemon rind and leave for 30 minutes for the crumbs to swell.
Beat egg yolks and add to cooled bread crumb mix. Pour into a greased 9 inch oval shallow type dish or 1/2 pint casserole.
Bake 30 minutes or until set.

When pudding cooked, melt jam and pour over top, spreading evenly.
Beat egg whites into soft peaks and whisk in the remaining 1 oz of sugar.Beat until stiff. Spread over jam, then sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes or meringue is golden.

Serve with pouring cream.:chef:

This recipe serves 4 but I always double it using a 3 pint dish and cooking a little longer. Its great for breakfast too.:cool:
I also often use my uncooked Raspberry Jam for this recipe (and for Trifles, Louise Cake etc), it is the best flavoured jam ever. Will post it later.

Back
Top Bottom