"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #41
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
From Steve's linked article: Investigations have traced the virus back to pomegranate seeds...
Seems to be linked to an isolated incidence in Turkey last year, i.e. not typically found in pomegranates?

Turkish Pomegranate Seeds Spread Rare Virus Across U.S. | Food Safety News

Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #42
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Seems to be linked to an isolated incidence in Turkey last year, i.e. not typically found in pomegranates?

Turkish Pomegranate Seeds Spread Rare Virus Across U.S. | Food Safety News
The pomegranate seeds mentioned above were not "manufactured." They came from natural organically grown pomegranates. They were part of a frozen "antioxidant fruit blend" that also contained certified organic cherries and berries. The virus likely originated in Turkey from someone carrying the disease, who in turn contaminated the raw seeds, which then sat dormant until the fruit was thawed and consumed. I used this example because it's similar to the way that e. coli is spread. E. coli originates from a contaminated source (poorly handled meat or fecal matter in groundwater) coming in contact with a food source and sitting in a semi-dormant state until it's consumed.

Most of these pathogens are not typically found in the foods they turn up in, but occur due to contamination from external sources.

I used a poor choice of words above by saying food "high in nutrition". What I was really searching for was a phrase that encompasses fruits, vegetables, cheeses, meats, and dairy without preservatives or additives to prolong shelf life. Maybe "non-processed" or something like that would've been a better choice of words, although I'm not sure that makes the point, either.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I eat raw sprouts, of all kinds, almost every single day. No problems. I buy from one trusted source. Love them on my sandwiches.
I eat raw sprouts as well. Right now, I'm hooked on fenugreek sprouts. I get mine from a trusted source, too, myself.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #44
Head Chef

Nice link GG. Just proves we can't eat anything.

I look at it this way. Life's a crap shoot no matter what you do. I'm sure I'm going to meet my maker when that chunk of blue ice falls from the sky and woops me in the head.

Don't consume obviously tainted food but enjoy life while you've got it. It's too short to bother about the doom & gloom reported in the media these days.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #45
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Yes Zagut. With common sense about avoiding the most likely pitfalls, then I don't worry about selecting and eating food.

I do tend to shop for quality ingredients though.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Nice link GG. Just proves we can't eat anything.

I look at it this way. Life's a crap shoot no matter what you do. I'm sure I'm going to meet my maker when that chunk of blue ice falls from the sky and woops me in the head.

Don't consume obviously tainted food but enjoy life while you've got it. It's too short to bother about the doom & gloom reported in the media these days.
Creative asked for examples and I gave her some. That doesn't mean I avoid all those foods. If you read back to the beginning, you'll see I was skeptical of the original list.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #47
Senior Cook

2. The Farmer Won’t Eat: Corn-Fed Beef

Joel Salatin is co-owner of Polyface Farms and author of half a dozen books on sustainable farming.The problem: Cattle evolved to eat grass, not grains. But farmers today feed their animals corn and soybeans, which fatten up the animals faster for slaughter. But more money for cattle farmers (and lower prices at the grocery store) means a lot less nutrition for us. A recent comprehensive study conducted by the USDA and researchers from Clemson University found that compared with corn-fed beef, grass-fed beef is higher in beta-carotene, vitamin E, omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), calcium, magnesium, and potassium; lower in inflammatory omega-6s; and lower in saturated fats that have been linked to heart disease. “We need to respect the fact that cows are herbivores, and that does not mean feeding them corn and chicken manure,” says Salatin.

This is a bunch of baloney. I have a freezer full of corn feed beef and pork. This guy obviously don't know crap abut farming. Ive been raising cattle for 14 years and never once feed them one single soybean or one ounce of chicken manure. I dont know where he got that from.They get a mixture of corn, grass, and alfalfa. Sometimes wheat or oat straw and dry corn stalks for fiber.

You keep livestock far from chicken manure. We brought in a 100 head from out of state that were grass fed on a pasture fertilized with chicken crap. They started dropping like flies. They all got salmonella from the chicken crap. The state I live in cattle out number people 4 to 1. Ive been involved in agriculture all my life. I have not ever known anyone that feed soy beans and chicken **** to their cattle. I can also gaurentee every cattle producer has a freezer full of corn feed beef.
For another thing soybeans are worth twice as much as corn. Want to throw your profits out the window? Want greasy meat that the processor will reject? Feed soy beans.

Dariy cattle get a little soybean meal but that's a whole other industry.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
2. The Farmer Won’t Eat: Corn-Fed Beef...

This is a bunch of baloney. I have a freezer full of corn feed beef and pork. This guy obviously don't know crap abut farming. Ive been raising cattle for 14 years and never once feed them one single soybean or one ounce of chicken manure. I dont know where he got that from.They get a mixture of corn, grass, and alfalfa. Sometimes wheat or oat straw and dry corn stalks for fiber.

You keep livestock far from chicken manure. We brought in a 100 head from out of state that were grass fed on a pasture fertilized with chicken crap. They started dropping like flies. They all got salmonella from the chicken crap. The state I live in cattle out number people 4 to 1. Ive been involved in agriculture all my life. I have not ever known anyone that feed soy beans and chicken **** to their cattle. I can also gaurentee every cattle producer has a freezer full of corn feed beef.
For another thing soybeans are worth twice as much as corn. Want to throw your profits out the window? Want greasy meat that the processor will reject? Feed soy beans.

Dariy cattle get a little soybean meal but that's a whole other industry.

Thank you for your input. As I mentioned in an earlier post here, that's a site with an agenda. They promote eating local so present any alternative as poison.

It's not true just because you read it on the internet.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #49
Senior Cook

There is nothing wrong with eating local. There are always teenagers selling sweet corn watermelons squash etc on the road side. I support it. Just don't support it with lies.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #50
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
...Ive been involved in agriculture all my life. I have not ever known anyone that feed soy beans and chicken **** to their cattle.
You may not feed chicken manure and soybeans to your cattle, but evidently they do in some places, including Missouri:

G2077 Feeding Poultry Litter to Beef Cattle | University of Missouri Extension
Farm Management - AgEBB

Tags
food