"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Any Advice on an Iron rich diet?

Hi Guys,

I have recently been diagnosed with Anaemia, but it has gotten worse from one blood test to the next although I am on medication!

I just wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about this kind of stuff and what are the best things to be eating etc etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 09-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Executive Chef

were you advised to take a vitamin C source, with your iron medication? I really really hope you were...the absorption of iron in the human body is greatly enhanced by taking vit C at the same time as the iron, doesn't matter the source of iron, food or med, but vit c must be present to enhance the absortion of the iron, other wise, the iron is......well....eliminated from the body

Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
were you advised to take a vitamin C source, with your iron medication? I really really hope you were...the absorption of iron in the human body is greatly enhanced by taking vit C at the same time as the iron, doesn't matter the source of iron, food or med, but vit c must be present to enhance the absortion of the iron, other wise, the iron is......well....eliminated from the body

Ooooh no I was not and this is very helpful and could explain a lot! Will get some OJ in for when I take my tablets - thank you very much for that!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Cook

Greens, like turnip greens or mustard greens are good sources of iron as is meat livers...but if your taking medication & vitamins, it might be wise to eat iron rich foods in moderation, as iron is subject to store-up and become a toxin issue to your health, particularly if you don't drink alot of water.................................BH51..
Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Cool thanks for that! I drink approx 3 pints a day along with about 4 herbal teas, 1 coffee and perhaps a juice in the am! Is that enough?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Everymom

Fuzzy B, if you google "iron rich snacks" it might help. I would suggest you either buy some trail mix or make your own using raisins and almonds particularly. Almonds are a big help with the iron. As was mentioned all the dark green veggies are iron rich. If you can snack a bit on iron rich stuff it will likely help so you don't have to change your diet as much. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Fuzzy B, if you google "iron rich snacks" it might help. I would suggest you either buy some trail mix or make your own using raisins and almonds particularly. Almonds are a big help with the iron. As was mentioned all the dark green veggies are iron rich. If you can snack a bit on iron rich stuff it will likely help so you don't have to change your diet as much. Good luck!

Good idea thanks for that - I will look it up and see what I can get
Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
What everyone else suggested, plus beans and lentils. As always, talk to your doctor.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Spinach! its full of iron and much better, in my eyes, to get these elements in your food rather than taking supplements.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have been anemic for a long time. My iron count was shockingly low at one point and the doctors were not sure how I functioned with almost non existent iron.

Depending on how Anemic you are the iron rich foods will help but you will need supplements period and as someone indicated you need vitamin C to ensure it absorbs and stays. I also heard from my doctor friend that iron alone will not help but I also have to take folic acid with it.

In any case, the foods that are obvious are red meat including salmon and the big one liver. I personally dislike red meat and also dislike liver so my only choice is salmon along with leafy greens and they are by no means enough to build my iron reserves so I keep resorting back to supplements.

Also the iron supplements make me very sick but sigh there is no choice in my case.

All the best