"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Any way to make a low fat (and I mean loooow fat :) ) pizza??

I love pizza but its just packed with calories! Any ideas on a way to make it healthier?? I had a wholemeal pizza in Spain once which was amazing!

caleycampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
Try making it using one of the Eastern breads as a base - a lot of them are very low fat. I sometimes use Pita bread for mine, but truly prefer to make my own dough and go from there.. Use low fat cheese etc.
Honestly, if you want to enjoy pizza, go the whole hog now and again. Tomorrow you can go 'fat free':)

missM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Head Chef
all things in moderation...
Crust: use a whole grain crust, look for the fiber content, 3 grams per serving
Sauce: make your own from a quality, low sodium tomato product, or fresh tomatoes
Cheese: use a quality cheese, but just don't pile it on
Other toppings: meat - use a lowfat option, pile on the veggies
share with somebody, don't have to eat the whole thing by yourself! (or have leftovers to freeze)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Executive Chef
It's not necessary to always use cheese on a pizza. There are lots of pizzas that use a sauce base (low fat Alfredo-style as well as tomato based) and then a variety of low-fat or non-fat toppings. Flavor and the quality of the bread is what is important with a pizza, in my opinion, not the amount of fat you can pile onto it.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Executive Chef
any number of ways to make a low fat whole grain crust, lots of veg toppings and very little cheese

can still be very tasty
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
make own crust. just a drip of olive oil brushed on. slice tomatoes, fresh basil, and just a small sprinkle of cheese. that is about as low cal as it gets. it tastes amazing.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
Thank you so much for your replies. I def love the idea of just piling on the veggies! and maybe i will just add a 'sprinkle' of low fat cheese!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Master Chef
Another great lower-fat pizza topping? Turkey pepperoni! We LOVE the stuff, & frankly, find it indistinguishable from it's fattier counterpart. Hormel & 2 other companies now put it out - already thinly sliced & ready for pizza topping. We always have a package in the fridge for snacking & cooking.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Sure. Leave off the cheese!

Not all pizza has to have cheese. In fact, one of my all-time faves is about to come into season. It's a thin whole-wheat crust with herbs inside the crust and it's topped with crushed fresh tomatoes, finely chopped fresh garlic and chiffonade fresh basil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and when it comes out of the oven, spritz it with really good extra virgin olive oil. That's all.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
I honestly think i could replace anything with olive oil lol! i always use it instead of butter, in a sandwich for example! ChefJune yours sounds a lot like Pan amb Tomaquet! Which is a Spanish(Catalan) type of Tapas. It is basically fresh bread, toasted with Tomato and Olive oil but there are different variations including adding garlic, herbs etc! Mmm i want to go back to Spain now :)

diet, pizza