"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #131
Executive Chef

An eye doctor told me that almost any of us will have cataracts if we live long enough. I'm glad they have ways to take care of it now.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #132
Senior Cook

Dennis, that's wonderful news. Congratulations.

Your consumption of animal fat and ensuing cholesterol count runs contrary to conventional thinking, doesn't it?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #133
Cook

The truth is I am on a cholestrol medicine. I was a bit high before, but my doctor found the RIGHT medication for ME.

There are a ton of meds out there for darn near everything, but what the doctor has to do is find the RIGHT one for YOU! My Endocronoligist found the right combination of meds and diet and down went the blood sugar numbers. It's not always YOU, sometimes a stubborn doctor won't move from there original stand.

It takes both you and the doctor. If your following their advise and nothing is happening, and they won't alter the plan, change doctors. After all YOUR paying for it, and through the nose too!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #134
Master Chef

Thank heaven hubby does NOT have a sweet tooth! And yes, he has cholesterol and blood pressure meds, had a wasp episode last year (the adrenalyn they gave him shot the blood sugar into the stratosphere), and daily meds for gout and arthritis. Getting old isn't for sissies. The thing is, he's really healthy!

I don't see that it has been mentioned lately so will bring up an old one. Daily exercise of some sort really, really, really helps stabilize the numbers. When he's down with a cold or something or the weather is bad, he can see it in his numbers.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #135
Cook

AHHH! The golden years. Gold in your teeth (if you have any), silver in your hair, and lead in your.....,( watch it! okay, okay.) Maybe they should call them the ATOMIC! years?

I really think the golden years means it takes a lot of gold to keep going.

Your right though, the key to it all is exercise.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #136
Executive Chef

I know we are both doing better since we have increased our exercise. Since I don't go to the gym on Tuesdays, I went out to take a swim and exercise in the pool. Some kind of bird (dh said he thought it was a bluejay) squawked violently at me and swooped over like I was in his territory. I don't know if he wanted a drink, a swim or what his/her problem was, but I stayed as long as I wanted and it never came back. Isn't it too late in the year for babies in the nest?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #137
Head Chef

My friend's 14 yr old son has gone into hospital today. His leels are very high, I don't know what, and he is taking more than double the insulin they predicted he would need.

In hospital his levels have dropped today but she is very worried.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #138
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
My friend's 14 yr old son has gone into hospital today. His leels are very high, I don't know what, and he is taking more than double the insulin they predicted he would need.

In hospital his levels have dropped today but she is very worried.
Lulu, of course she is worried, that's what mom's do And she should be.
one of the first things my endo told me was that teens tend to "fudge" about their blood glucose readings..They don't want to be different so when the gang has ice cream, they do to, so they shoot up more often or tend to use a lot more insulin than is prescribed. If the levels are coming down under supervision, then his problem is probably using more than he is told to, to counter the affects of to many carbs.Or it just could be he wasn't given enough insulin units to balance his blood glucose. He is probably scared to death as is his mom, but the doctors should be able to get him under control and prescribe the right amount of units for him.
wishing him the best,
kadesma

kadesma
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #139
Sous Chef

Was on vacation and this has been a busy place. Kadesma is right, Moms are supposed to worry. She's also right about teens and their habits. In addition, so many things can upset the balance.

Congrats on the A1C level silvercuff. The cholesterol thing apparently goes with diabetes, at least for some people. The year he was diagnosed with diabetes he was also put on cholesterol med. Had to try a few until we found one that works without nasty side effects.

Corey, I'm not sure how it is for a diabetic, but my mom had cateract surgery about 10 years ago (she was 70) and it wasn't too bad. She had one eye done in December and the other in January. As I recall she had minimal restrictions.

For your home baked goodies, I use whole wheat flour to replace some of the white flour in quick bread type goodies and splenda for part of the sugar and nobody complained. I also used egg substitute for the eggs and applesauce for the oil too. The finished product needs to be refrigerated. If you have lots I would suggest freezing because it doesn't keep as well as the regular version in my opinion. Next time I'm goint to make half of the recipe.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:12 AM   #140
Cook

This is a nice thread. It is nice to talk about things that others can relate to.