Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr Corey123,
THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, your information has helped me so much, I was recently diagnosed and it's been so overwhelming I knew a little bit about how things would change since I have a couple of family members with it but oh boy this food exchange thing has had me so challenged and then top it with learning "good carbs" from "bad carbs" it's definately been an eye opening experience and I felt I really needed to tell you how so much very you have helped me through this , again THANK YOU to you and other posts on this topic

I guess I can't really complain. My team(Doctor, nurse, nutritionist) have me on 60 carbs per meal. How I choose to use them up, is up to me (except sugar).

I really miss sweets though. I had two grandmas of Austrian/Yugoslavian descent, and they both looked like (when you got hugged you almost got smothered)and cooked like it.

Along with the noodles, and dumplings came the strudel, torts, cakes, pie (sigh!):cry: etc. All home made, all great, and everyday.

Buuuuuuuuut! whatca' gonna do.

I am working on a cream cheese brulee in meringue shells that I have in my files. I tweaked it to sugar free. Once I try it to see how it works, I will post it (if it's good)

I guarantee it AIN"T fat free or low cal though.:blush:

silvercliff_46 said:
I guess I can't really complain. My team(Doctor, nurse, nutritionist) have me on 60 carbs per meal. How I choose to use them up, is up to me (except sugar).

I really miss sweets though. I had two grandmas of Austrian/Yugoslavian descent, and they both looked like (when you got hugged you almost got smothered)and cooked like it.

Along with the noodles, and dumplings came the strudel, torts, cakes, pie (sigh!):cry: etc. All home made, all great, and everyday.

Buuuuuuuuut! whatca' gonna do.

I am working on a cream cheese brulee in meringue shells that I have in my files. I tweaked it to sugar free. Once I try it to see how it works, I will post it (if it's good)

I guarantee it AIN"T fat free or low cal though.:blush:

I truly feel for you. But even though homemade deserts taste good, and they are always tempting to try, they are considered very dangerous because they have an extremely high sugar content - not to mention any white flour that is used to make cakes, pastries, etc..:ohmy:

I hope that you can find a way to curb your appetite for so many sweets, or at least use low-cal sweetners as you suggest.:)

My glucose level shot up to a whopping 194 yesterday, and I had to work peeverishly to get it down by drinking a ton of water!! I managed to get it back down. I think I was drinking more than usual this past weekend with a dear friend who is an alcoholic. Bad mistake!:ohmy:

But it was the weekend, and since he wasn't obligated to participate in his program over the weekend, he decided to get loose and have a few. He knows that I'm a diabetic and that I'm limited to at least two drinks a day.:ermm:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Gee there are times I wish I was at 192. I get epidural shots for lower back pain (I shattered three vertebra awhile back). I shoot up to 400 or better, takes about a quart of insulin or so and it comes back down again.:rolleyes:

Your right in what your saying though. I have to say it was easier to give up a thirty year two pack a day cigarette habit then pass on a piece of strudel though.

I guess i better keep reading my bible eh!:angel: :)devil: readin' it's one thing bub!, :( I know, I know):glare: (tsk. tsk.)

I had my eyes dilated and examined for glasses today at the Joslin Diabetes Clinic.

The eye doctor told me that I have the start of a mild case of cateracts! He said there's nothing that can be done right now, that they have to come in fully, or somewhat more progressive before they can be surgically removed.

And that only one eye at a time can be done, at that!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I'm a happy camper today.:chef:

I went to my Endocronologist and they said I dropped my A.C. from 8.3% to 6.7% in the last 2 months. They were all happy and my reaction was "Duh! Yuh!". I am still not sure what the A.C. stands for, but I guess it is a base line for your blood sugars and really important. Any how I got a lotta "atta boys", all around.

By the way, I think they were going to rip me a new one about my cholestrol, because I eat a ton of eggs, butter, and stuff. My cholestrol came back at 96 yeah NOT 196 but 96!!!!

Score one for the FAT GUY:-p :brows: :punk: :clap: :bb:

I want to thank those of you who helped show me how to do it especially you Scotty.

Way to go Silvercliff..An HBA1c tells your endo and you what your Blood glucose is averaging each day for the last 3 months. To drop that much is fantastic...keeep up the good work

kadesma:)

An eye doctor told me that almost any of us will have cataracts if we live long enough. I'm glad they have ways to take care of it now.

Dennis, that's wonderful news. Congratulations.

Your consumption of animal fat and ensuing cholesterol count runs contrary to conventional thinking, doesn't it? :)

The truth is I am on a cholestrol medicine. I was a bit high before, but my doctor found the RIGHT medication for ME.

There are a ton of meds out there for darn near everything, but what the doctor has to do is find the RIGHT one for YOU! My Endocronoligist found the right combination of meds and diet and down went the blood sugar numbers. It's not always YOU, sometimes a stubborn doctor won't move from there original stand.

It takes both you and the doctor. If your following their advise and nothing is happening, and they won't alter the plan, change doctors. After all YOUR paying for it, and through the nose too!

Thank heaven hubby does NOT have a sweet tooth! And yes, he has cholesterol and blood pressure meds, had a wasp episode last year (the adrenalyn they gave him shot the blood sugar into the stratosphere), and daily meds for gout and arthritis. Getting old isn't for sissies. The thing is, he's really healthy!

I don't see that it has been mentioned lately so will bring up an old one. Daily exercise of some sort really, really, really helps stabilize the numbers. When he's down with a cold or something or the weather is bad, he can see it in his numbers.

AHHH! The golden years. Gold in your teeth (if you have any), silver in your hair, and lead in your.....,:)mad: watch it!:ermm: okay, okay.) Maybe they should call them the ATOMIC! years?:huh:

I really think the golden years means it takes a lot of gold to keep going.:LOL:

Your right though, the key to it all is exercise.

I know we are both doing better since we have increased our exercise. Since I don't go to the gym on Tuesdays, I went out to take a swim and exercise in the pool. Some kind of bird (dh said he thought it was a bluejay) squawked violently at me and swooped over like I was in his territory. I don't know if he wanted a drink, a swim or what his/her problem was, but I stayed as long as I wanted and it never came back. Isn't it too late in the year for babies in the nest?

My friend's 14 yr old son has gone into hospital today. His leels are very high, I don't know what, and he is taking more than double the insulin they predicted he would need.

In hospital his levels have dropped today but she is very worried.

lulu said:
My friend's 14 yr old son has gone into hospital today. His leels are very high, I don't know what, and he is taking more than double the insulin they predicted he would need.

In hospital his levels have dropped today but she is very worried.
Lulu, of course she is worried, that's what mom's do :) And she should be.
one of the first things my endo told me was that teens tend to "fudge" about their blood glucose readings..They don't want to be different so when the gang has ice cream, they do to, so they shoot up more often or tend to use a lot more insulin than is prescribed. If the levels are coming down under supervision, then his problem is probably using more than he is told to, to counter the affects of to many carbs.Or it just could be he wasn't given enough insulin units to balance his blood glucose. He is probably scared to death as is his mom, but the doctors should be able to get him under control and prescribe the right amount of units for him.
wishing him the best,
kadesma:)

kadesma

Was on vacation and this has been a busy place. Kadesma is right, Moms are supposed to worry. She's also right about teens and their habits. In addition, so many things can upset the balance.

Congrats on the A1C level silvercuff. The cholesterol thing apparently goes with diabetes, at least for some people. The year he was diagnosed with diabetes he was also put on cholesterol med. Had to try a few until we found one that works without nasty side effects.

Corey, I'm not sure how it is for a diabetic, but my mom had cateract surgery about 10 years ago (she was 70) and it wasn't too bad. She had one eye done in December and the other in January. As I recall she had minimal restrictions.

For your home baked goodies, I use whole wheat flour to replace some of the white flour in quick bread type goodies and splenda for part of the sugar and nobody complained. I also used egg substitute for the eggs and applesauce for the oil too. The finished product needs to be refrigerated. If you have lots I would suggest freezing because it doesn't keep as well as the regular version in my opinion. Next time I'm goint to make half of the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom