"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I have a friend who is a holistic practitioner, and he has really helped me learn to eat better.
But my blood type is A- and I'm supposed to avoid a lot of dairy. I love milk, even skim, and all kinds of cheese, and am not willing to give them up. I have osteoporisis in my family, and brought the calcium issue up with him, but he insists that once the milk is pasteurized, the calcium is of no use to the body. He suggests eating one floret of broccoli every day, and claims that provides all the calcium the body needs.
He also bans sugar, even the natural ones in potatoes and carrots...also all pork, beef and processed meats. Poultry, fish, lamb, goat and venison are allowed. I tried going along with this part for a good while, and did find that my arthritis pain was much reduced. But I've just gotta have a burger or a pork chop now and then.

Wine is good though...he makes his own.
Constance, with all due respect to your friend, the skeptic in me would always ask for *reputable sources to back up such claims as he's making. Not only do they sound unfounded but also extremely difficult to stick with and, regarding calcium, possibly dangerous.

*problem here is that many who place themselves on the fringe don't trust or believe in anything that comes from a "reputable" source.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #22
Master Chef

I always use my own common sense about things like this, SuzyQ. I drink my skim milk AND eat my broccoli (and other green leafy vegies).
Shelly, I agree with the philosophy of "Everything in moderation".

Old 09-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Even if you do the diet, things you eat in moderation help alot. Like I said, I did it before and kind of kept up with it. I did lose 25 lbs on it and I am trying to loose alot more after my baby. Im A+ and i did cut out alot red meat and dairy. I ate other things in place of them. It does work and its not that hard to keep up with it with either.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife0310
It does work and its not that hard to keep up with it with either.
Yes, I find that it's not hard to do as well. Just remember that even if something is on your avoid list doesn't mean you can never have it. Just don't have it every day! It's when you totally eliminate something that you crave it. It's a psychological thing.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I did that a quite a few times. There were times I wanted a cheeseburger or steak and I splurged. It didnt hurt at all.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard since someone told me Dr. Phil was writing a diet book.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #27
Senior Cook

I clicked the link and looked at the site. I don't buy any of that crap at all. A sensible diet that is high in nutrition, low in sugar/simple-refined carbs/fat/artificial ingredients-toxins, is all people need to follow other than their doctors orders. Of course everyone is different and your like/dislike of food may be somewhat genetic and not just learned behavior. But if anyone is considering a weird shallow and vague diet such as this, let me recommend a diet with substance. Theres another website I visit where the longest existing thread with over 4,000 posts, is about a diet called 'Cohens Lifestyle Support' founded by a medical doctor and dietician. Blood samples are taken and analyzed, and a diet is specifically formulated for you, based on actual levels of what is in your blood.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Crap. I don't remember my blood type. I know I'm an A but I don't know if I'm an A positive or an A negative.

should not consume dairy products, animal fats and meats

Just kill me now why don't ya ??
Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Crap. I don't remember my blood type. I know I'm an A but I don't know if I'm an A positive or an A negative.

should not consume dairy products, animal fats and meats

Just kill me now why don't ya ??
I'm with you middie. I'm an A something. Several years ago I spied this book at a neighbors house and took the opportunity to review it. When I came to the part

"should not consume dairy products, animal fats and meats,

I quietly, (why is this printing like this?), shut the book and never gave it another thought.

No dairy products?? come on.........
Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard since someone told me Dr. Phil was writing a diet book.
Regarding weight loss, if someone of normal health and metabolism (the vast majority of us) wants to lose weight, here's the secret: Decrease the calories ingested and/or expend more energy.

Easier said than done because food means so much to us; hence, we're always looking either for some easy fix or some heretofore unknown approach. The only thing we are sure to accomplish when we buy these books or videos or supplements touted by so-called experts is a decrease in our bank account and a great, big fattening of theirs.