"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I understand what you're saying, Alix. And many "mildly unhealthy" recipes you find in all threads everywhere can be altered to become healthy.
Maybe we just need a thread on adjusting recipes, that everyone can join in on with their adjustments to make recipes healthy.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I'm open for whatever. I just think a compilation of healthy foods would be beneficial to the site. Whether it be a sticky thread in this forum, the tagging system, or whatever else we can come up with.

As a forum admin myself, I know how creating a million different sub-forums can be an issue. It gets rather difficult to moderate.

-TLaude

Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I understand what you're saying, Alix. And many "mildly unhealthy" recipes you find in all threads everywhere can be altered to become healthy.
Very true. And honestly, first we would all have to agree on what "healthy" means. EEK! How much fat can it contain, how much sodium, calories etc etc. What is healthy to one (low protein) might be distinctly UNhealthy to someone else.

For now, perhaps searching a different term would be the best. There are many obstacles to this particular one. Thank you, though, for raising awareness TLaude.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

Who decides which recipes are healthy? I mean some folks eat diets heavy in fats and low in carbs while others feel that carbs are fine.....etc. etc. etc. there are so many different woe's out there that establishing a "healthy foods" section might be daunting.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I think you are looking to deep into what "healthy" means.

Yes, it's different for each person.

But that shouldn't matter. Fried chicken vs grilled chicken. A side of cubed potatoes drenched in butter and salt vs a side of fresh mashed potatoes. Fresh veggies steamed vs grilled veggies dosed in oil, butter, and salt.

While each and every person may have different "criteria" for what healthy is, there is still a definition for healthy.

"high in fats and low in carbs" -- You are right. But if you break down the foods used to meet that criteria, I'm willing to bet someone isn't having a side of fried chicken to go with it.

See where I'm coming from?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
Everymom

TLaude, perhaps that would be better titled "lighter" recipes?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
Flour Child

I totally get you TLaude and you are right. Also, no one can argue with the fact that fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are all healthy for everyone...no matter what your special needs are. Special needs can substitute. There is a general consensus of what is regarded as "healthy". When I used to watch Paula Dean's show, "healthy" never crossed my mind. Anything with sugar and processed items are agreed by everyone not to be particularly healthy for anyone.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
TLaude, perhaps that would be better titled "lighter" recipes?
I see where you are coming from, but even at that, it is still a healthy food/recipe.

I'm by no means trying to start a debate here on what should and shouldn't be considered healthy, just trying to play devil's advocate so we can find a great way to handle it.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Probably many of our everyday recipes could be made healthier - and quite easily too. Except for baking, which I don't do as often as I used to, I've cut back on much of the salt, oil, etc and usually find there isn't that much difference in the taste. Living in the South, many people of other regions think we fry everything but we don't fry much of anything other than chicken and don't have that as often as before. It would be great to see some ideas about healthy cooking here.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLaude View Post
I see where you are coming from, but even at that, it is still a healthy food/recipe.

I'm by no means trying to start a debate here on what should and shouldn't be considered healthy, just trying to play devil's advocate so we can find a great way to handle it.
Understood. I think for now, we will just have to use the tag system and hope that folks will tag appropriately.