"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How much should a baby eat?

Does anyone have any idea of what, how much and when a baby should eat?

He's 10mos and I'm feeding him (basically) what we eat. He loves meat and fruits, but he eats a ton! For such a little guy I'm worried he's getting too much. I read 2 snacks a day, but what should be a snack size? breakfast? I'm confused, help!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoseB View Post
Does anyone have any idea of what, how much and when a baby should eat?

He's 10mos and I'm feeding him (basically) what we eat. He loves meat and fruits, but he eats a ton! For such a little guy I'm worried he's getting too much. I read 2 snacks a day, but what should be a snack size? breakfast? I'm confused, help!

What does your pediatrician have to say on the subject?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

lol he says whatever i'm doing must be fine (no literally that's what he says). but i'm confused on what kinds of snacks are best (besides cheerios). i haven't been to the ped in the last month since his appetite seems to be growing. good idea i should go
Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoseB View Post
lol he says whatever i'm doing must be fine (no literally that's what he says). but i'm confused on what kinds of snacks are best (besides cheerios). i haven't been to the ped in the last month since his appetite seems to be growing. good idea i should go
Babies do go through growth spurts when they eat a lot more. As long as the Dr. is OK with his weight I see no issue.

Aim for more healthful snacks. It seems all kids love Cheerios.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Start doing fruits and veggies for snacks. It is a great idea to get kids in the habit of eating healthy right off the bat so they can continue good eating habits throughout their life.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...As long as the Dr. is OK with his weight I see no issue.

haha no.. he's a great ped but my baby started losing wgt (this was months ago now) and he didn't say a thing (probably b/c there was a huge weight gain at the first, so he thought it was a normal slow down?). then it got crazy so i finally went and asked him specifically about it, only THEN did he offer some helpful suggestions. actually WIC gave more help than he did as far as wgt. so yea that's why i'm not trusting him hoping to get more info here about good foods to eat and how much or little.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Head Chef

Ummm, you should trust your pediatrician and continue with information from WIC. There are also books that they can recommend, and/or websites that could be helpful. An online forum is not a replacement for a pediatrician.
guidelines for children's nutritional needs - Google Search

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Master Chef

Baby's stomach (on the average) is a size of that baby's fist. That is approximately how much baby can eat without stretching the stomach. Now, some will want to eat more, some will want to eat less. I've had both, but out of 5 - 3 pretty much kept to this schedule.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Start doing fruits and veggies for snacks. It is a great idea to get kids in the habit of eating healthy right off the bat so they can continue good eating habits throughout their life.
Very good advice!! Right now there's lots of fresh vegetables/fruit in my house...but I want a Milky Way so bad it's driving me nuts!!!!

Provide that boy with a balanced diet...Healthy Snacks or none at all...He'll eat what he needs and the amount he needs...Watch out!!! He'll be a man before you know it!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

(headed out for a Milky Way)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

Most babies will eat until they are full then stop. It is rare for a baby to overeat. At 10 mos old, eating what you eat is fine. Let him feed himself as much as possible too. You'll know he's done when he starts playing with the food more than putting it in his mouth! Babies should never lose weight after the first week. Some may stair step it up the growth chart and some will do the steady growth and some will shoot up during breast feeding the slow down when solids are introduced. Each child is different. Serve him healthy variety, watch his gums for paleness (indicates anemia) and let him guide you as to the amount. He may just be going through a growth spurt so needs more calories now. Relax and enjoy your little one. As far as the doc goes, you really need to be able to trust your pediatrician. If you don't, maybe you need to ask around and check out some others in your area. I'm not saying he's wrong but it's important for you to feel comfortable with the relationship.