My favorite healthy breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've become interested in dried fruit lately. I brought some cranberries, cherries and raisins. I should try adding these to add nutrients to my breakfast.

I believe healthy food is supposed to taste good. Does anyone believe that taste buds were evolved to make us eat too much and get fat? Taste is the main feedback system for choosing food. How do you think wild animals know what to eat? Do they get fatter than is healthy?

I find that if I eat vegis when I haven't been eating enough vegis, that they will taste extra good. That's just one example of the taste feedback system.

Sure, it's easy to overeat sugars, fats, and salt, but it's also easy to be aware of that and apply common sense.

Food is indeed fuel for the body. One of the tricks when figuring out meals for folks who are trying to change their eating habits is to make those meals tasty by using herbs and spices instead of salt and processed ingredients. I shrunk 4 sizes by changing when I ate my largest meal (a.m.). I didn't give up taste. I did cut out bread and sugar. I love food. I eat well. And I am not overweight. I weigh the same I did when I was 21. I am 56.

Seriously? Then what the heck are you doing on a forum where folks discuss great tasting food? I didn't change my diet to lose weight, just started eating less. I can walk 5 miles with out breathing heavily and then swim a mile. You seem to have an agenda that has nothing to do with what DC is all about. You think most people will agree with you?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Get real dude!:mad:

The URL of these forms is "discuss cooking" not "discuss great tasting cooking", forgive me for not catching the error of the person who registered the domain.

I feel you are rude person, as pointed out by someone else in another of my threads, and it's best if I place you on my ignore list.

Whilst I understand this and it is clear that now you are highly disciplined, do you not trust yourself to be able enjoy some favourite food now and then, i.e. moderation say, one day a week - a Saturday?

It seems such a shame to deprive yourself totally of the pleasure of eating food you enjoy. Your acquired discipline would surely be able to keep you on the straight and narrow? Your regime is surely hard wired into you sufficiently to withstand the odd treat?

I trust myself quite well. My favorite foods are fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and legumes.. and I eat them all the time.

My favorite foods were different years ago, I used to choose foods based solely on taste. I'm now choosing foods based on nutritional value.

I enjoy being able to run 3 or 4 miles at a time without stopping. So I choose foods that are conducive to an athletic lifestyle.

Last edited:
The URL of these forms is "discuss cooking" not "discuss great tasting cooking", forgive me for not catching the error of the person who registered the domain.

I feel you are rude person, as pointed out by someone else in another of my threads, and it's best if I place you on my ignore list.

You are not discussing cooking, you are discussing your diet. Got any recipes to discuss, with the exception of adding dried fruits or rolled oats?:rolleyes:

I just looked at every post you've made and other than boiling water for oatmeal, none have anything to do with actual cooking.:(

I tried the steel cut oats this morning. It doesn't mix as well with wheat toast and green tea as do the rolled oats, but it was good.

Well, I guess you are going to have to place all of us on your ignore list. I have yet to hear of one member here who is willing to adopt your dietary plan as wholly as you have.

If your eating plans work for you, fine. But you are trying to cram it down every member's throat here. And I hate to be the one to tell you (pun intended) but we all are choking on it. One plan does not fit all. :angel:

Well, I guess you are going to have to place all of us on your ignore list. I have yet to hear of one member here who is willing to adopt your dietary plan as wholly as you have.

If your eating plans work for you, fine. But you are trying to cram it down every member's throat here. And I hate to be the one to tell you (pun intended) but we all are choking on it. One plan does not fit all. :angel:

Your opinion is noted, thank you.

I just think it's sad that some folks are willing to settle for health problems instead of finding the strength to change and avoid such things.

Last edited:
I tried the steel cut oats this morning. It doesn't mix as well with wheat toast and green tea as do the rolled oats, but it was good.

But it is my understanding that steel cut oats are even better for you health wise than rolled oats. Wouldn't that be considered cheating on eating totally healthy? It sounds like you are concerned with you trying to make your food taste good instead of just being healthy. :angel:

I just think it's sad that some folks are willing to settle for health problems instead of finding the strength to change and avoid such things.

How do you connect foods that taste good with health problems? As others have noted, it is entirely possible to have a healthy diet of foods that are enjoyable to eat. Sharing a good meal with friends and family is one of life’s great joys.

You seem to have a viewpoint that is at odds with the rest of the members of this forum. Kind of like joining a church and preaching atheism.

I was in New Orleans for our daughter's wedding. A few of us went to the Quarter to have dinner one night at Mulate's. There was a convention of Herbalife inductees across the street at the Morial center. One was standing outside the restaurant, insulting people, telling them how they were going to die, calling them names. You remind me of them. I tend to be rude when dealing with those that think their "stuff" don't stink in conjunction with a superiority complex.:glare:

I was in New Orleans for our daughter's wedding. A few of us went to the Quarter to have dinner one night at Mulate's. There was a convention of Herbalife inductees across the street at the Morial center. One was standing outside the restaurant, insulting people, telling them how they were going to die, calling them names. You remind me of them. I tend to be rude when dealing with those that think their "stuff" don't stink in conjunction with a superiority complex.:glare:

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Thank you my friend. Well said! :clap:

:angel:

I trust myself quite well. My favorite foods are fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and legumes.. and I eat them all the time.

My favorite foods were different years ago, I used to choose foods based solely on taste. I'm now choosing foods based on nutritional value.

I enjoy being able to run 3 or 4 miles at a time without stopping. So I choose foods that are conducive to an athletic lifestyle.
You use the phrase "favourite foods" so I am guessing that this implies some enjoyment of taste rather than just eating them for fuel? I am sure you realise that healthy foods can also be tasty foods?

...My favorite foods were different years ago, I used to choose foods based solely on taste. I'm now choosing foods based on nutritional value...
Those two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

...I enjoy being able to run 3 or 4 miles at a time without stopping. So I choose foods that are conducive to an athletic lifestyle.
Our neighbor back home is a marathoner. His goal is to run one in each of the 50 states - he's completed around 40 give-or-take. Since he cuts back on his conditioning runs in the winter he plays on a seniors' hockey team. He's 6' 2 1/2", I'd guess around 170-175 pounds, He's a healthy 60+ years old (he just "bragged" recently of his good numbers).

We've been friends for over a quarter-century and have never seen him fat, or winded, or known him to be sick. Still, he's been know to enjoy pizza, beer, the occasional steak. Still healthy. And happy. Always smiling, whether he just finished running for miles, or he's seeing friends after a long time. He enjoys life and is happy. You don't look so happy in the photo you posted. :(

...I am sure you realise that healthy foods can also be tasty foods?
Or maybe he doesn't. :(

i believe in a quote that said " eat to live not live to eat "

but nothing more important than a healthy breakfast ..thank you :)

i believe in a quote that said " eat to live not live to eat "

but nothing more important than a healthy breakfast ..thank you :)

Welcome to DC! Nothing stopping you from following that quote. Personally, I fully intend to enjoy what I'm "eating to live".:yum:

Cereal products is my favorite breakfast. i daily eat cereal in my breakfast with juice or coffee. my favorite cereal breakfast is corn and choco flakes, rice crispy, oats, jumbo oats and oat rings.

A pitcher of bloody Mary.
A settin of eggs,
A pound of bacon,
A loaf of toast,
A pan of biscuits,
A bucket of grits
A Quart of Gravy.
A pot of coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom