"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, I don't know about that..... chickens don't bear their young live, and chicken is meat.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Hmm I have gone without meat quite often... I have lived with vegetarians for one and also just never felt meat was essential. They key to to make rich flavors using more spices and to think more about the textures you create. Meat adds texture and flavor easily without you just need to work it harder and get good flavor combinations. As mentioned by someone else Indian and other eastern cuisines do this wonderfully. You can do great mexican too a taco or burrito of quessidillas/nachos etc really dont need the meat to be rich and tasty... the spices from salsa and pepeprs as well as the combination of cruchy, smoothe, warm, cool all still works great without the meat.

One think I dont like is meat substitutes.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #43
Master Chef

Last night we simply did not have any meat in the house, so I made vegetarian soup, and meatless spaghety with garlic bread. I loved it, but was hungry in no time. I just love meat. But what is 30 days and why "no meat", what is the purpose?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't worry Charlie. I'll be sure to make up for sattie and her husband on my, Nothing but meat day.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Last night we simply did not have any meat in the house, so I made vegetarian soup, and meatless spaghety with garlic bread. I loved it, but was hungry in no time. I just love meat. But what is 30 days and why "no meat", what is the purpose?

30 Days is a show by Morgan Spurlock. This particular episode had to do with a tiny community living green. Making their own power, growing their own food, they lived a vegan life style. I don't think it is neccessary to live a vegan life style to be green, but I do think they had some interesting ideas. I know the production of meats can be a drain on nature if not done in harmony with the earth. I buy most of my meats from local farmers that grass feed their livestock. Then after watching this episode, I thought... what the heck, lets try and have a no meat day. Another tiny step for the environment... and for my health. So anyhow... that is how it all started.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Environmentally speaking, eating meat is one of the worst things you can do, worse than driving your car. The mass production of meat (including food grown for livestock and transportation costs) negatively contributes to global warming, air and water pollution, land degradation, deforestation, and biodiversity.

The UN published a report (Livestock's Long Shadow) outlining the environmental effects. You can download it here for more info.

Animal suffering and welfare is another issue, which I won't get into because it is definitely political, but many don't eat meat just because of the cruelty aspect.

I also feel that a vegetarian diet is healthier and certainly better in terms of saturated fat and cholesterol.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #47
Master Chef

Okay you've lost me right there, I can understand health issues or personal preferences but all that "peta" like propaganda/garbage, I can't stand it.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #48
Master Chef

Charlie... I don't think it is peta propaganda... there is lots of good info you can find about how commercial farming is hurting the environment. And there are ways to avoid it.

Anyhow... what were we talking about in first place???? Non-meat meals! And thanks to all the ideas and recipes that were posted here!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #49
Head Chef

Eggplant Rollatini

Panini including marinated portabello, provalone, sauteed spinach & garlic

Guacamole Taco's

Burrito stuffed with beans, spanish rice, guacamole, tomatoes, onions, beans

Spinach-Feta Calzone - spinach,onion ,dill, ricotta, feta, garlic, egg

Spinach pie w/ Greek salad

Provolone Hoagie- Italian bread, tomato, lettuce, provolone, pickle, hot peppers, sweet peppters, onions, oregano, mayo, good season italian dressing

Corn chowder w/ fried potatoes and onions thrown in

Pasta with feta , spinach garlic and oil

Stuffed artichoke ( pain in the butt to make)

Moo shu vegetables

Felafel w/ greek red lentil soup

potato blintzes w/ matzoh ball soup

Pasta with garlic/ oil and grilled vegetables
Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #50
Cook

There are some really yummy sounding suggestions on this thread!

I just made a big batch of red beans and rice with corn bread last week.

My medical minded DH tells me it has all the necessary parts for complete proteins, whatever that means.

I do add bacon fat to my cornbread and a little to the red beans, but it's not necessary.

LL