"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This article is about OJ having an effect on blood pressure; affecting the action of medication is different. Depending on your medical situation, and with your doctor's approval, you might try OJ instead of the medication, as a trial.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I can't drink grapefruit juice as it will amplify the effect of my blood pressure medicine. It will cause an overdose effect. I suspect the same is true with the orange juice. I wonder why the doctors don't prescribe grapefruit or oranges instead of Lipitor, or it's family of drugs. Could it be that the pharmacies would lose money? Hmmmm....
I have wondered exactly that, myself.

I wonder how much OJ they gave people in that trial. I wonder how well a whole orange would work.

BTW, I don't take any BP meds. My BP is fine as long as I don't go crazy with salt.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

The article I linked to has information about the study.

Quote:
Christine Morand, PhD, of of the Human Nutrition Unit-INRA Clermont- Ferrand, and colleagues performed a crossover study on 24 overweight but otherwise healthy men, ages 51 to 63. Daily during three successive four-week periods, the men drank 17 ounces of orange juice (which contains about 300 milligrams of hesperidin), a control drink with 300 milligrams of hesperidin capsules, and finally a control drink with placebo capsules. Each of the drinks added about 200 daily calories.

At the end of both the OJ and hesperidin test periods, diastolic blood pressure was significantly lower than after the placebo testing. Diastolic blood pressure—the second number in a blood-pressure reading, after the slash—measures the pressure in your blood vessels between heartbeats, when your heart is resting. For men in their 50s or 60s with blood pressure of 150/90 mm Hg, researchers pointed out, a decrease of just three or four points in diastolic pressure could translate into a 20% reduction in the incidence of coronary artery disease.

Morand and colleagues also tested a variety of measures of blood-vessel activity, including the ability of blood vessels to dilate. Both orange juice and hesperidin showed positive effects compared to placebo.
This is, of course, for a general audience. Everyone must take into consideration their own health situation and needs.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks GG. I wonder where my brain was when I read the article. That's a lot of orange juice to be drinking in one day.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks GG. I wonder where my brain was when I read the article. That's a lot of orange juice to be drinking in one day.
If not for the sugar content, that wouldn't be a bad thing. It's just over two 8 oz. glasses a day. I could see that, one in the morning, and one in the evening.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
If not for the sugar content, that wouldn't be a bad thing. It's just over two 8 oz. glasses a day. I could see that, one in the morning, and one in the evening.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
But sugar content is the problem, especially minus the fibre.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But sugar content is the problem, especially minus the fibre.
Too true.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Orange juice is high sugar - bad for me, no fiber - bad for me...will even make the medication that makes my heart go "tick - tock", correctly, fail. So, one of the things I love the most in the world, I can no longer have.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Head Chef

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
Now that's weird !

My Doctor insisted I DON'T drink o.j., because of it's effect on my blood pressure medication.......... He switched me to apple juice...............

Are you sure your not thinking of Grapefruit Juice? I take BP meds and it says on the pill bottle do not take with grapefruit.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Are you sure your not thinking of Grapefruit Juice? I take BP meds and it says on the pill bottle do not take with grapefruit.
It's the same chemical in citrus that causes problems, just more concentrated in grapefruit. Most BP and Heart medications are effected in differing levels. Your doc will tell you for sure if OJ is not allowed.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

It's the same chemical in citrus that causes problems, just more concentrated in grapefruit. Most BP and Heart medications are effected in differing levels. Your doc will tell you for sure if OJ is not allowed.
Ok, PF, so does citrus increase the blood pressure med effect, or does it inactivate it? I have not been happy with any of the BP meds we've tried, my BP is still way too high.