"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Sue-Zee-Q

Question Purée vegetables in foods such as cakes and cookies

Recently I read about Jessica Seinfeld's (Jerry Seinfeld's wife) book Deceptively Delicious as she was interviewed on Oprah about it. She had a problem with getting her three children to eat vegetables, so she started making vegetable purées and sneaking them into their food, including baked goods such as brownies and cookies and cakes etc. She even found a way to make chicken nuggets which were 'battered' in vegetable purée. What do you think of this method of cooking? Is this something you would try? Are you curious about how the food would taste? Would you do this?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Head Chef

i have 3 grandsons, 8,4,7mths the oldest eats horriable. Won't try things, Its a constant fight. He has gotten better lately. what the other 2 eat a day is about what the oldest eats in week. I fear the future for him with bones loss etc. So yes I would try anything like that to get stuff in him. In fact he did try zuccini bread and likes that.
Going to try carrots in an apple muffin,

Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Head Chef

When we were kids, Mom would make Beetnik Bars...chocolate bars with beets in them. I loved them until I found out what was in them!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Sue-Zee-Q

Hi letscook, I understand the fear of a child not eating very much. My youngest eats like a bird and will only eat soups that I have cooked with cream! I tried cutting the cream out because she had a cold, she woudln't eat so I thought it was better to give her the cream even with a stuffed nose than for her to eat nothing. She started eating immediately.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Sue-Zee-Q

Hi Angie, the Beetnik bars sound interesting. Do you have a recipe? Probably not eh?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I did that sort of thing all the time when my children were youngsters. The oldest will be 37 this year, so it's been a while. Before they knew it they were eating broccoli and spinach and all sorts of other veggies. However, I do have to add that they never ate commercial baby food either because, right from the beginning, they ate what we ate. I just ground up our food finely and seasoned it less when they were tiny. The few foods they seemed to dislike were introduced to them in my sneaky manner.

Saw the Oprah show with Jessica Seinfeld. Pretty interesting and her recipes sounded very good. I should try some of them on Buck. He's a stinker when it comes to eating fruits and vegetables.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Hey Sue-Zee!We saw the show too. I tried this the other day for my kiddos but didn't work. My daughter had a hunch I had put something different on the cookies since I'd just seen the show. LOL I made the oatmeal raisin cookies with banana and zucchini puree but they didn't even touch them. Argh! I am planning to make the raspberry bars with spinach puree in them. What have you tried? Have your kids liked the veggie treats you make? Here's the link for the recipes Deceptively Delicious Recipes
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
My sister got in trouble once for refusing to eat oatmeal to which my mother had added orange juice.

My mom made the oatmeal and snuck a bit of orange juice in because my sister refused to drink it on its own. She set the bowl down on the table and went upstairs to get ready for work. Shortly after, my stepdad came down to make sure we'd be ready for school on time. He asked my sister why she hadn't eaten her oatmeal, and she said it tasted disgusting. She demanded that he make something else for her, or she would not eat at all. My stepdad, who had no knowledge of my mother's earlier orange juice addition, launched into a heated rant about how ridiculous my sister was being. He made a point of asking her why she'd been able to eat the oatmeal without a problem for so many months up until that day. After all, the stuff in the bowl was what she'd been eating for the rest of the school year. She continued to protest and was eventually sent out without breakfast and grounded.

Later that day, my stepdad related the story to my mother. . . you can imagine how they felt when they had to explain the mix up to my sister and unground her. Moral of the story: parents aren't always right? I don't know, but it sure was funny!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Sue-Zee-Q

I actually didn't see the show, I read about it in email (I subscribe to news from Oprah's site), I am curious to try some of those baking recipes though, but part of me thinks it might be a bit "Letitia Cropley",(from the Vicar of Dibley) famous for her strange recipes such as parsnip brownies and lard and fish paste pancakes.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue-Zee-Q View Post
Hi Angie, the Beetnik bars sound interesting. Do you have a recipe? Probably not eh?
I'll see if I can get it from mom!