"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Raw Foods Diet?

Not to sure where this thread belongs so if this isn't the right place you can put it where ever it belongs. My question is how many of you all ever heard of the "Raw Food Diet" and what do you think of irt? Does it really work?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Don't know much about it, but I suspect it will find itself under the "fad" category after it plays itself out.

One piece I saw on it kind of turned me off when the writer said "dead food, dead body."

Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Would you mind posting the particulars of this "raw food diet"? If it's the one I've heard about it advocates eating nothing but raw food. How incredibly stupid is that? I put that up along with the "alphabet diet" where you eat only foods beginning with a particular letter in alphabetical order. What could possible be heathful or non fattening about food that is eaten raw? Let us know exactly what this diet is all about.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Executive Chef

A raw food diet is exactly what you all think it is....everything you eat is raw. The basis of this diet is that heat destroys the nutritients in everything we eat. There is protein on the menu, particularly fish, which is mainstream enough that many people have tried this diet. Most vegetables can be consumed raw, as well.
The drawbacks are you never get bread or rice, never a cookie...if it requires heat, you don't get it. I think what I'd find most dissatisfying is that you never get a hot meal. Never a bowl of soup on a rainy day.

This isn't meant to be a weight loss diet, it's more of a lifestyle change, like choosing only organic or 'green' food. It would be the next logical step if, after choosing only organic products, you wanted to get even more of the natural nutrients food offers.

There are restaurants in the city that cater to this diet. I'm sure if you do a google search you'll get more information.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
Would you mind posting the particulars of this "raw food diet"? If it's the one I've heard about it advocates eating nothing but raw food. How incredibly stupid is that? I put that up along with the "alphabet diet" where you eat only foods beginning with a particular letter in alphabetical order. What could possible be heathful or non fattening about food that is eaten raw? Let us know exactly what this diet is all about.

I would hesitate to call anyone's choice of eating style stupid. It is simply a matter of preference. Not all diets are about fat or weight loss. The benefits of cooking food are apparent, but so are the benefits of not cooking food. I'm sure that somewhere along the line you have heard that overcooking vegetables is the best way to boil out all the nutrients, yes? This just takes the entire menu one step further. While the diet may be limiting, it's certainly not harmful in any way. In fact, the benefits far outweigh the fact that the menu can seem so restrictive. An imaginative person with just a tiny bit of skill can do quite well eating only raw foods. It's always disturbing to hear remarks that denegrate another person's choices.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Senior Cook

What else would a raw food restaurant serve besides salad? I hope that doesn't sound rude but I am rather ignorant on this topic.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I would hesitate to call anyone's choice of eating style stupid. It is simply a matter of preference. Not all diets are about fat or weight loss. The benefits of cooking food are apparent, but so are the benefits of not cooking food. I'm sure that somewhere along the line you have heard that overcooking vegetables is the best way to boil out all the nutrients, yes? This just takes the entire menu one step further. While the diet may be limiting, it's certainly not harmful in any way. In fact, the benefits far outweigh the fact that the menu can seem so restrictive. An imaginative person with just a tiny bit of skill can do quite well eating only raw foods. It's always disturbing to hear remarks that denegrate another person's choices.
Well said vera. I've done loads of reading about raw food lifestyle, being that I am vegetarian it seems of interest. But as you mentioned, I could never give up warm food! No way. Many people try to eat about 60-70% raw, I probably come close to about 50%.

GoodGiver, you can find loads of info on google by typing "raw food lifestyle"
Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss J
What else would a raw food restaurant serve besides salad? I hope that doesn't sound rude but I am rather ignorant on this topic.
I have seen pies made with a crust of crushed various seeds/nuts bound together with honey. There's the obvious - fruits, vegetables, but there's a host of other things. Pizza, enchiladas, all made with allowed berries/nuts to get the crust and "tortilla" wrapper. If you do just a bit of search on google you will be amazed at what you find. It's really quite interesting.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT

This is a well known book about all the possibilities wit raw products.

I LOVE Trotters work, and Klein has been on the forefront of Vegan cuisine for years, and does really amazing things without "cooking".

I still could never give up a good ribeye or porterhouse though
Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Executive Chef

In Nasty Bits AB mentions Woody Harrelson and the raw food diet. AB had many choice words about this subject.