Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garcinia cambodia is from the tamarind seed. I love tamarind pods--the gooey, sticky ones, and often eat them as if they were dates, seed and all. I would just figure out a way to add more tamarind pods to what I eat. I often take a few as part of my lunch when I have to work on site. Now I know why I don't get hungry in the afternoon while on site. IMO, losing weight usually involves altering one's eating habits and exercise. Although we would all like a magic pill or a magic diet, losing weight and keeping it off usually means making life changes. I am approaching 2 years since I started eating my big meal (most days) in the morning and happy to say that the change in my eating habits has resulted in shrinking 4 sizes and not gaining the weight back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you CW! You're right about a change in habits can make a difference. This past November we entered a dead zone in incoming finances. Himself's unemployment ran out and his social security won't kick in until this November (by choice - it's when he turns 66). Since I'm cheap frugal to begin with, I decided we weren't going to go out to eat once a week with his sister and brother-in-law, but instead maybe out once a month and invite them over on occasion. Keep in mind that when we did go out I would bring at least half my meal home, so it isn't like I was chowing down on a full restaurant portion. Just by cooking at home I've lost about 10-12 pounds over the winter. I consider that at pretty decent weight drop since winter is the stew and "heavy" food months. And, of course, all those stews and loaded soups need bread to sop up the extra juices. We switched to whole-grain breads almost exclusively too. So far Himself hasn't raised a fuss so I guess he's a convert too.

Well, now that the warmer is coming upon us, lighter meals should be the order of the day for both of you. Ten pounds in nothing to snicker about. :angel:

Great going everyone!

I have kept off the weight I lost during my hospital stay and subsequent anemia. I have also kept my small appetite so that has helped. The main problem is that I am retaining water and so I am still wearing bigger clothes and feeling fat. I think my doctor has a resolution for that.

I want to lose enough weight that I feel comfortable in my dress for our vow renewal ceremony in August. I want my face thinner and to just feel good about myself.

With this bronchitis and other bugs I have been away from the pool for far too long but that changes tomorrow. I am going there and then meeting TB and his parents for lunch at a Chinese Restaurant near the YMCA. Then TB will go straight to work and I will head home. I can't wait for my pool time!

Good for you CW! You're right about a change in habits can make a difference. This past November we entered a dead zone in incoming finances. Himself's unemployment ran out and his social security won't kick in until this November (by choice - it's when he turns 66). Since I'm cheap frugal to begin with, I decided we weren't going to go out to eat once a week with his sister and brother-in-law, but instead maybe out once a month and invite them over on occasion. Keep in mind that when we did go out I would bring at least half my meal home, so it isn't like I was chowing down on a full restaurant portion. Just by cooking at home I've lost about 10-12 pounds over the winter. I consider that at pretty decent weight drop since winter is the stew and "heavy" food months. And, of course, all those stews and loaded soups need bread to sop up the extra juices. We switched to whole-grain breads almost exclusively too. So far Himself hasn't raised a fuss so I guess he's a convert too.
CG--a change in eating habits--no magic pill. I don't know about you, but over time, I really don't miss those "bad" eating habits. Yes, I plan to make a couple of batches of ice cream this summer, but that's it. And yes, every now and again, I eat poutine, but not every day. A treat now and again.

CW, I hear you. All things in moderation has worked best for me. It took me about 6 or so years to put on 40 pounds of depression weight because of our move. I decided it was time to go back to my old moderation way of eating, realizing it's not coming off in a year. I've found by not making drastic changes I can keep on task easier. Besides, with not going out for dinner my thinning self is resulting in a fatter wallet. ;)

Well, now that the warmer is coming upon us, lighter meals should be the order of the day for both of you. Ten pounds in nothing to snicker about. :angel:
Not so much "order of the day" Addie as more appealing when the weather gets hot. Somehow that dinner salad just doesn't cut it when it's 19 degrees and a nor'easter is howling outside! :LOL: And I'm certainly not one to crave a thick stew and crusty rolls when it's 80.

I am back on my candida free diet for two weeks. This means no fruit of any kind or in any form (something that is difficult for me who chomps on an apple to stop chocolate cravings), no sugar of any kind, no honey or other sweeteners including artificial, no corn or carrots and no dairy products except yogurt for its probiotic properties. All of the items other than the fruit are easy. I use pumpkin seeds as a snack and since they are good to fight candida I can eat all I want. I can also eat all the meat (except pork), green veggies, cauliflower, and eggs (which I don't really like) I want.

Hopefully this will get me on track with my weight and health!

So right. I just mentioned at dinner last night we need to eat lighter foods and should include salads more often.
For some reason, I have not purchased items to make a garden salad for a long time.
I got so tired of throwing away salad vegetables that sat in the fridge. Also, I guess a case of laziness has found its way into my life.
I am tired most all the time.

My biggest issue is not taking care of these items as soon as I bring them home or shortly thereafter.
If I would get on the ball and wash and prep these things when I first buy them, I would not lose as much as I have in the past. It also seems when I make an effort to prep the items, I tend to use them up and use them up much faster.

This week I am going to buy everything needed to make a healthy salad. (my garden is a few weeks away from my first harvest) I am going to wash dry and prep them for later use. I then will make healthy salads with accompanying salad items like for "chefs salad" and other toppings to make them meals.

When my garden starts producing, I will have more options.

Last edited:
We tend to be "seasonal eaters". When the weather is cold a salad won't do, but a bowl of stew and a chunk of crusty bread fill both the tummy and the soul. But when the thermostat is climbing the stock pot is usually left alone and the salad fixin's and grillin' foods appear. It's just easier for me to eat "diet" foods when the weather is warmer. Well, unless I mound the yummy potato salad up sky high!

We tend to be "seasonal eaters". When the weather is cold a salad won't do, but a bowl of stew and a chunk of crusty bread fill both the tummy and the soul. But when the thermostat is climbing the stock pot is usually left alone and the salad fixin's and grillin' foods appear. It's just easier for me to eat "diet" foods when the weather is warmer. Well, unless I mound the yummy potato salad up sky high!

When cooking for a crowd, five or ten pounds of 'taters for potato salad is the norm. It took me a long time to learn that two or just three 'taters was more than enough for me to make a personal bowl of potato salad. I could easily make a much larger one and take a bowl every time I open the fridge door. I could easily make five pounds just for myself and have it all gone in two days. :angel:

Yes, I was mindless munching at work. Good for me food, but it is constant. With the good weather I can go for a walk instead of stuff my face.

Awesome, PF!

I am up a bit but the good news is my iron levels are starting to rise again. They are still low, but steadily working towards normal. I am feeling stronger and love that my face has a little bit of colour.

However, now that my energy is returning and I want to get back to the pool, my bad (as in two replacements in a month 5 years ago) knee is suddenly acting up badly. I don't remember twisting it, but I am having trouble walking. The pool will be good for that but I will have to start slowly so as not to make it worse.

We are working towards a low carb diet again. The only problem is that TB has to take sandwiches to work and gluten free bread is full of carbs (rice or potato flours as the basis). Because he is eating in the bus salads are awkward and he can't have anything that needs heating. Plus, I tend to make myself a sandwich for the evening when I make his. So we are trying to eat meat and salad for lunch. Breakfast has been bacon and plain yogurt for me and bacon and a smoothie for TB.

I am hoping we will both start seeing some results soon - both in feeling thinner and being healthier. I am not worrying about a scale for the time being. Though that will come as I want to look good for our vows renewal.

Awesome, PF!

I am up a bit but the good news is my iron levels are starting to rise again. They are still low, but steadily working towards normal. I am feeling stronger and love that my face has a little bit of colour.

However, now that my energy is returning and I want to get back to the pool, my bad (as in two replacements in a month 5 years ago) knee is suddenly acting up badly. I don't remember twisting it, but I am having trouble walking. The pool will be good for that but I will have to start slowly so as not to make it worse.

We are working towards a low carb diet again. The only problem is that TB has to take sandwiches to work and gluten free bread is full of carbs (rice or potato flours as the basis). Because he is eating in the bus salads are awkward and he can't have anything that needs heating. Plus, I tend to make myself a sandwich for the evening when I make his. So we are trying to eat meat and salad for lunch. Breakfast has been bacon and plain yogurt for me and bacon and a smoothie for TB.

I am hoping we will both start seeing some results soon - both in feeling thinner and being healthier. I am not worrying about a scale for the time being. Though that will come as I want to look good for our vows renewal.

How about wrapping the sandwich fillings in a lettuce leaf.

Another idea is to take a slice of deli ham, turkey, roast beef etc and spreading a condiment on it adding a slice of cheese and rolling it up like a cigar to make it into a finger food.

Good luck!

Awesome, PF!

Glad to hear you're doing better, LP :) Have you been tested for your ferritin level? It's related to iron levels and gives the physician more information about your condition.

For TB's lunches, think about making finger foods, like salad or sandwich ingredients on skewers with a dipping sauce. Here's an example: http://www.southernliving.com/food/...ipes/italian-skewers-party-appertizer-recipes

Nice PF! I miss walking, but my ankles yell at me every time I try to go too far. Getting old is a b.

Preaching to the choir...odd thinking about how I used to run to school (2.5 miles) and back home every day. Now, it is a chore to walk anywhere.

My metabolism has changed since the surgery (I must have just been feeding what they took out) but, trying to find what doesn't put the weight on is a B.

You know it's time to lose weight when you accidentally put your pants on backwards and they fit better...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom