"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #111
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Well I haven't lost anymore since last post so today I decided that I'm going to start walking when I get home from work. Hopefully I'll stay awake and not get hit by a car.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #112
Executive Chef

I'm gonna bump this thread. I'm on my new cardio diet which isn't too bad but I also have to make the treadmill my new best friend. (I could do different exercise but this will work best in my life right now.) Well, I didn't think I was in bad shape but man, my butt and thighs are sore!!!! This will go away, right? I do a lot of manual labor with my arms and I guess I didn't realize how much I had neglected the lower half. I noticed a lot of you jog and walk so any tips for me? (I already figured out not to use a treadmill barefoot.)

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #113
Executive Chef

Hiking on a treadmill is the best work out. Crank up the incline and walk at a decent pace and you will burn burn burn!!

And yes, once you start working your lower body more often the soreness will go.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #114
Executive Chef

I was thinking about this thread this morning, thanks for reminding me FM!

I've been lingering around 165 for a while now. Months actually. We've been, not dieting, but eating less of better food. Don't get me wrong, before this we ate really healthy but we never thought about the calories adding up.

Lately it's been a large side salad with some sort of grilled protien. Mainly chicken, pork(lean) and fish, in that order. We also have been eating all sorts of rice. I have so much more energy now and this morning I weighed in at 160 on the button. My jeans even fit normally.

The DW uses the treadmill alot. I like it because it helps get my breathing and stamina back from smoking. But my knees are screwed up so I can only do so much. We go down to the school and hit tennis balls against the brick wall. I like doing that because it's fun and it doesn't seem like you're just exercising. We tried regular tennis but that was horrible. We need alot more practice.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
My kids broke the elliptical, which with all the rain really sucks.
So far a steady 2 lbs a week.
Eat less, move more, lay off the chips. (most days :) )
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #116
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
Hiking on a treadmill is the best work out. Crank up the incline and walk at a decent pace and you will burn burn burn!!

And yes, once you start working your lower body more often the soreness will go.
Thanks, Red. Hey, you'll be walking the hills of San Francisco soon, right? You'll have buns of steel! (I'll be satisfied with white bread buns - right now they are dough.)
Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #117
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I was thinking about this thread this morning, thanks for reminding me FM!

I've been lingering around 165 for a while now. Months actually. We've been, not dieting, but eating less of better food. Don't get me wrong, before this we ate really healthy but we never thought about the calories adding up.

Lately it's been a large side salad with some sort of grilled protien. Mainly chicken, pork(lean) and fish, in that order. We also have been eating all sorts of rice. I have so much more energy now and this morning I weighed in at 160 on the button. My jeans even fit normally.

The DW uses the treadmill alot. I like it because it helps get my breathing and stamina back from smoking. But my knees are screwed up so I can only do so much. We go down to the school and hit tennis balls against the brick wall. I like doing that because it's fun and it doesn't seem like you're just exercising. We tried regular tennis but that was horrible. We need alot more practice.
Wow, that's great Jeekinz. You lost 5 pounds without counting calories!!! How about DW? Is it working for her, too?

And have you quit smoking or are you trying to? That's really hard to do without gaining weight. And bad knees to boot. (Is that from injuries on your bikes?)
Old 06-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #118
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
My kids broke the elliptical, which with all the rain really sucks.
So far a steady 2 lbs a week.
Eat less, move more, lay off the chips. (most days :) )
2 pounds a week? WooHoo!!! That's awesome, girlfriend. I don't know what an elliptical is, though. Is it like a treadmill?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #119
Executive Chef

Shock

I have been going to aerobic classes faithfully since September of last year. This lady who is in my class told all of us she lost 114lbs. No diet, just exercise, cutting out sodas and sweets, and walking 9.3 miles per day except on weekend and when it rains. I just can't believe this, I still am shocked. That is almost whole person. She said her doctor has cut her pills from 8 per day to 3. Everything has improved. This gal is not young, 64 years and she can walk this much? Since she has a doctor involved I don't worry about if it is too much, too fast, he would tell her if it was don't you think? She is so happy and looks 10 years younger. Her hair has grown in fuller, her skin is not droopy and her clothes fit her not baggy as before. If ever it was inspiration to lose she sure is. I called her the loser of the class because she has lost more than any of us. I don't know how the others feel but I cannot stop praising her enough. I just want her to know that I am happy for her. Geez, that is determination!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #120
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Wow, that's great Jeekinz. You lost 5 pounds without counting calories!!! How about DW? Is it working for her, too?

And have you quit smoking or are you trying to? That's really hard to do without gaining weight. And bad knees to boot. (Is that from injuries on your bikes?)
Thanks FM.

It's a little tougher for the DW, and I try to accomodate that as much as possible.

Yes, we both quit smoking. For me it was Nov. 07, for the DW it was late Dec. I smoked a pack a day since I was 15 or 16 years old. I am totaly over the cigs. 110%! Yes, the bad knees are from the bikes. I have to wear high tech knee braces whenever I ride, or jog, or do any kind of activity where there's lateral movement on my legs.

The hard part for me is that I love to cook and try different flavors. Trying to balance the joy of cooking/experience and counting calories is frickin tough! I'm pretty much happy physically with myself now (all things considered) but I could easily slip off track because of my tastes for foods.