Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll starve. Everything white is my favorite. Potatoe, noodles, white bread. I honestly do cannot imagine life without potato.

you can eat whatever you want, as long as you keep your calories around 1500 per day, you will lose weight. To maintain, you can eat more depending on your activity level.

No need for fad or trendy diets.

no dieting for me!i cant diet as i love food,and i love desserts,what i do is that i eat big breakfast,very small lunch(usually based on just salads and fruits),a cup of milk in the evening and a normal portion of dinner.But i burn 500 calories everyday except sundays.Most ppl complement me on my weight and they have difficulty believing im a mother of 3 kids.

eat food (nothing processed) mostly plants (veggie and fruit heavy) not too much (calories are calories) it really works

As far as bread goes I have starte to buy multy grain bread and actuall it is delicious. I also am trying to cut out the sweets, I think I live on them. Trying to take small steps.

No Sugar, No cheese, No fries, No coke, eat more veggies & fruits, do 20-30 mins exercise 3 times a week.

Cooking appliance is also important. I’m using my new Secura oven to grill fish, beef, chicken, pork, veggies everyday for my p90x diet. Works great! The amazing thing is you can see how much fat and oil we don’t have to eat during cooking. I recommend everyone if you want to loose weight, reduced the cal, and healthier food, should get one. You should not cook your beef steak with butter or oil in the pan.
I already lost 25 lbs in the past 3 months. I think this oven is helping a lot with my diet.

Bon Courage guys:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is strange. At the beginning of June, I purchased a new, cordless-electric Black & Decker lawnmower. This year has been a good one for grass. I was cutting my lawn twice a week. I lost a few pounds. I then tore the meniscus in my right knee (hope to have surgery on it in another week or so), so I've been laid up for the entire month of July. And yet, I've lost 16 lbs. this month. Does walking with a crutch really use up that more energy than does plain walking? I know I'm getting closer to the eight hours of sleep per night that I've been telling my wife I need for the last 25 years. Maybe that's how I'm losing the weight.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I then tore the meniscus in my right knee (hope to have surgery on it in another week or so), so I've been laid up for the entire month of July. And yet, I've lost 16 lbs. this month. Does walking with a crutch really use up that more energy than does plain walking?
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sorry to hear! Yes, walking with a crutch uses up more calories. For good cardio, get a wheelchair and tool around in that!:) That's exhausting!

I've been losing weight, cutting down portions and eliminating processed foods. Drinking lots of water and tea.

Charlie, how about cutting portions in half, then ?
I don't think my potions are big. I've never really ate a lot, it is what I eat not how much. Or at least in the last half a year or so I've been watching how much I eat. Need to cut down sweets. I live on them. I am so tired I can barely stay up at work and I keep munching on scones, bakery I go to makes awesome scones. Need to stop being tired.

charlie, please see your dr. being tired all the time can be caused by many things. as i found out recently when i got so sick in april. you could very well have anemia. the sweets do play a part. they jack up your blood sugar for a while and then down it goes. you crave sweets because you are tired. not the best solution. i thought i was eating a balanced diet and was still anemic. many more things other than just a balanced diet.

Charlie; Eating too many carbs is how I became diabetic. In addition, a very real problem in our northern areas is a insufficient vitamin D. My new Dr. tells me that I would have to drink 4 gallons of milk a day to provide me with the vitamin-D I need. He had me get some blood work done, and sure enough, I was very low in vitamin D. When the body dosn't have enough, It can't produce the natural hormones or chemicals it needs to combat every day aches and pains caused by normal day-to-day stress. So, it creates cortizones, one of the steroids. This causes a person to feel tired, increases weight, and possibly is one of the causes of adult-onset, or type-2 diabetes.

See your own doctor and have him send you for simple blood work to find out if you might be diabetic, or have a vitamin D deficiency. It can only help you. After that, eat a wide range of veggies, with a moderate amount of protien. Include very colorful foods, such as black beans, raspberries, blueberries, red bell peppers, peppers in general, etc. And eat the skins of potatoes and even sweet potatoes. Make sure to use whole grains, including brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. Cut the sweets and processed flours from your diet and you will feel a whole bunch better.

I had to learn the hard way. Hopefully, you won't. I have seen a brother in law, and a best friend die from diabetes, because they refused to take their diets seriously. And both died in their mid fifties. I am 54, and still going strong, except for a torn meniscus right now.

Yes, we love to cook. Yes, we love to eat good food. But there is much more to great food than scones, cakes, cookies, pastries, and pies. Learn to love what has been naturally provided for us by nature, and you will enjoy a better life.

And you know those pancakes that I'm famous for, well they only get cooked once a week, and my wife eats them. I make something different for myself, or make them with whole wheat flour (which are pretty darned tasty), and top them with just enough honey to satisfy, or with just a tbs. full of maple syrup, or crushed, fresh fruit when in season.

If I can do it, you can do it, my friend. Take care of yourself now, before you are forced to by a medical condition.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think to lose weight we must find out if our thyroid is working properly....The thyroid works in a four gland endocrine loop which includes the pituitary, the hypothalamus, and adrenals. This is your metabolism.
Gaining and losing superfluous fat is a chemical metabolic internal process constituted by the action of the pituitary, the hypothalamus, the adrenals, and the heater of the body, the thyroid.
we need o feed our thyroid....Iodine the most important.
Food manufacturers used natural iodine in various foods 20 years ago but, because iodine is more expensive, they replaced it with the dangerous halogen, bromide, in the quest for profit and due to "greeditis".
here are nasty things in our water and in our food that are called chlorine, fluoride, and bromides. We drink, eat, and shower in these poisons. The bromides are in all white flour which is used for cookies, pies, donuts, cakes, spaghetti, etc. half the thyroid problems and half the heart problems are caused by our polluted water. What your medical doctor doesn't know is that these halogens move into your thyroid and "mimic" iodine. Besides your thyroid, halogens attack your heart and can cause cancer.

I think to lose weight we must find out if our thyroid is working properly....The thyroid works in a four gland endocrine loop which includes the pituitary, the hypothalamus, and adrenals. This is your metabolism.
Gaining and losing superfluous fat is a chemical metabolic internal process constituted by the action of the pituitary, the hypothalamus, the adrenals, and the heater of the body, the thyroid.
we need o feed our thyroid....Iodine the most important.
Food manufacturers used natural iodine in various foods 20 years ago but, because iodine is more expensive, they replaced it with the dangerous halogen, bromide, in the quest for profit and due to "greeditis".
here are nasty things in our water and in our food that are called chlorine, fluoride, and bromides. We drink, eat, and shower in these poisons. The bromides are in all white flour which is used for cookies, pies, donuts, cakes, spaghetti, etc. half the thyroid problems and half the heart problems are caused by our polluted water. What your medical doctor doesn't know is that these halogens move into your thyroid and "mimic" iodine. Besides your thyroid, halogens attack your heart and can cause cancer.

This post interested me since I have close friend whose son had thyroid just removed last week. He has to take prescription drug for rest of his life. i know the family who are trul y health conscious. How these things happen, one never knows. I do agree diet has lot to do with it and definitely the food we eat we can not be sure of. Just have to try to start from scratch as they once did to prevent lot of preservatives that body doesn't need. I have been questioning the meat we buy. What are the cows fed before they are slaughtered? Cows used to be fed the way people were. No preservatives or antibiotics or what else? Seems everyone I know has someone with cancer.

I am definitely always trying to lose weight! haha but more importantly, I am trying to stay healthy. Five years ago I gave up all kinds of sodas! At restaurants if I do not want to order bottled water or drink the water they serve I order unsweetened iced tea or lemonnade. Also, I only eat chicken and try not to eat too many fatty foods. But mostly cutting out the sodas has helped me maintain my sugar intake. I do still enjoy some milk chocolate now and then ;)

I think that loosing weight is might be difficult, always try to drink one or two glasses of water before every meals, this will make you feel more full and so you won't eat so much, and always try to do regular exercise, and also take proper diet while doing exercise, Try to eat less, if you want to burn some fat, but cutting down will significantly help you lose a few pounds quite easily.

Last edited:
...I have close friend whose son had thyroid just removed last week. He has to take prescription drug for rest of his life. i know the family who are trul y health conscious. How these things happen, one never knows. I do agree diet has lot to do with it...
Thyroid malfunction is heriditary. It isn't caused by diet.

Chrissy13 said:
Five years ago I gave up all kinds of sodas! At restaurants if I do not want to order bottled water or drink the water they serve. I order unsweetened iced tea or lemonnade
But isn't iced tea and lemonade made with mostly water from the restaurant?

Correction: I'm sorry, InTheKitchen...my statement above that thyroid malfunction is soley hereditary is not true. I just read that in addition to heredity it can be caused by exposure to radiation, chemicals, iodine depletion, lack of vitamin A&E&Zinc, air pollutants, and overuse of some drugs. So diet can aid in the treatment. I'm always learning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom