"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-20-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
Head Chef

Unhappy Worried about my eating habits

there are days when i try to eat healthy and eat little,and i end up skipping a meal or two(in order to eat little,because portion control policy does not work for me,once i start eating,i cant seem to stop,so skipping a meal altogether works better for me),and the next day i start eating with a vengeance.last night i tried not to have dinner and instead just make do with a glass of 2% milk,but around midnight i got a pizza delivered and had 3 slices.and this morning i had a piece of chocolate cake and a couple more bites from another piece for breakfast(sigh).Although i'm going out for brisk walks everyday,and i walk for an hour or 45 minutes sometimes,but i think the way i'm eating,excercise will not save me!

Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Senior Cook

What is your occupation?My job is hard and i often thought a lot and eat without order .i am too thin .

cut eat maybe difficult,maybe you could find some low calorie food instead your popular ones.such as vegetables,fruit,etc.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverli
What is your occupation?My job is hard and i often thought a lot and eat without order .i am too thin .

cut eat maybe difficult,maybe you could find some low calorie food instead your popular ones.such as vegetables,fruit,etc.
riverli! i'm a home maker.
my problem is i dont like low calorie food,all the things i wanna eat r high calorie diet(as must be the case with most ppl i'm sure).But i do try to switch to healthy low calorie food every now n then and when i seriously start craving all the good stuff,i dont try to deprive myself for a very long time.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Okay Sarah, it is a nasty kind of chain reaction, which you need to snap as soon as you can. After starving yourself by skipping a meal or two, of course you feel hungrier than ever and would be ready to scarf down a horse. At first it may be difficult for you if you are "lays potato chips" type of person, but try having 5 or 6 SMALL meals a day, instead of gorging once a day. Once you get into the swing of it, you will be less hungry when the next time to eat comes around, so you wouldn't have the urge to eat too much. It is the same with any kind of bad habits that needs to be fixed, it may be tough at the beginning but you will get used to it sooner than you think, so hang in there just for a while!!

Also if you are reasonably in good health, gear up your exercise routine. Something like bike riding, swimming, working with weights or getting a video or two and learn different dance routines, yoga, tae bo, tai chi etc. The adrenaline rush you get from relatively vigorous exercise will actually temper your appetite, even though you may think otherwise.

Don't get too caught up with those "low cal" or "fat free" products, which often have many other compromises. Just keep your diet balanced, and keep talking to us about how you are getting on... we are always here for support and willing to help you any way we can... good luck and go for it!!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hi Sarah,

Skipping meals is really the worst option in trying to eat better. Every dietician will tell you that. You should certainly not skip breakfast, so as soon as you can, make yourself a sandwich or some cereal, and do not eat any sugar (or artificial sweeteners like aspartame) in the morning. You will end up craving it the whole day. Have some sugarless cereal with skimmed milk, or even better, yoghurt, and add some fresh fruit for sweetness, like banana or strawberries.
If your portions are out of control, try to start with eating the same amount, but healthier. Make sandwiches from whole wheat bread, preferably without any added sugar, and dress them with lettuce, chicken cold cuts and mustard e.g. Or mozzarella, basil and tomato, or goat's cheese with honey and thyme... For dinner, add an enormous salad to the menu and don't leave the table before you finished it. It will ease the cravings later in the evening.
Make your food special and make it with love, that really helps to enjoy it as it is, and not for the quantity.
Also, very important I think, try to eat as little processed foods as possible, as they contain lots of sugars and salts, very bad for your health and your weight.
These little differences will get you started into a healthier routine.
I know it is all easy to say and hard to do, but I had the same bad routine as you have right now, and taking time to prepare my own meals from scratch really helped me to feel more worthy of anything, especially being in better shape.
I still hate working out, so in stead I walk longer distances to the market and bakery, and enjoy watching people and things like that. Oh, I sound like a softy... but it helped me a lot.

Good luck, hope I could help!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Oh Sarah Iam so glaid to see I am not the only one with a life time of bad eating habits. starving at times and then eating everything in site. I now am at 200 Lb and trying to lose. I don' like excercise eather. Making from scratch as much as I can. When we lived in Wichita I walked through the thrift shops almost everyday. Hear on the farm I only have the goats to talk to. If You would like I have some waite wachers recipes and what thay say you should eat will post it if you want good luck Iam right ther with you
Old 06-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I must always battle the bulge. And it's harder as you get older. But I have found:

reduce fats as well as reduce amounts. Eat slowly savoring each bite. If you drink, cut alcohol entirely for awhile and bring it back slowly, a glass of wine with a meal once in a while . Alcohol has calories!

REAL FOOD will satisfy you. As you change your eating habbits, your likes and dislikes will change too. Start cutting fat out and other foods will taste great. Season foods lightly, but do season them.

Use high flavor meats, like bacon, as a flavor additive rather than a portion by itself. In other words, use one piece of bacon and some drippings to flavor a dish of green beans, or to add zing to a salad. Go easy with dressings, but a real dressing tastes better than diet dressing so do use the real thing.

As summer is here, make dinner salads with diced grilled chicken or 3 oz of steak. Seriously, real serving portions are small. 4 oz meat is a good example.

switch to whole grains, they will fill you up and stay with you longer. Start cutting out sugar from cerials, soft drinks , tea coffee etc. if you must use a sweetener, I guess use splenda.

Just don't order out or buy fast food. DON'T! make it yourself. Learn to make a healthier pizza with veggies (you can still have some meat and cheese, but they should not be the main event. Cut the veggies finely, a julienne ... very tasty and they caramelize a bit. sweeter, nicer I think. Make your own "Chinese"...ginger garlic and soy sauce. happy stir frying! use broth and go easy on the oil.

It is so easy to slide back but don't think of this as a diet, turn your mind to this is healthy cooking, this is gourmet cooking this is real food cooked properly. You don't have to stop eating or give up favorite foods, but look for ways to have the same thing in a better way.

I find I eat less of really well made food beacuse it is so satisfying.

RIght now I would like to eat a jumbo bag of good ole greasy Lays potato chips, with onion dip! but I'm not going to. I had an apple.

WHen hungry, drink some water slowly. Make some oatmeal. Not the instant, the slow cooked. Why, the act of making it, really making it, will take your mind off of instant gratification. You want it sweet? add some raisins.

Do it with a friend, do it together, get support, do it for a loved one, do it for yourself.

FInd low cal tricks and there are lots of them. here's an example: Love baked potatoes? by themselves they are very healthy. OK no butter, no sour cream...go with balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper ... they taste like "boardwalk french fries" made up that way, and have no fat, lots of vit and minerals, and about as many calories as an apple. that paired with a 4 oz filet or chop, and a veggie/salad can be a very satisfying meal

So how to cook with little fat in the pan? Bring the meat to room temp for a few minutes. Have the pan good and hot. Sear both sides 3 to 5 min. deglaze with a little low fat chicken broth.

but this becomes a life style change, not just a "diet" . go for it! and keep up the exercise, that's great!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef

This is a life long struggle. What helps me is to have something in the frig that is ready to eat. I try to make/bake something every day to have a variety of foods on hand. Right now, I have a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread, sliced, in the freezer, handy to just use one slice at a time. In the frig is a fresh raspberry crisp, cole slaw that was made with broccoli and cauliflower, and a cabbage au gratin casserole. Today I will make a chicken and rice casserole. I do have a weakness for cookies, but I make them, from whole wheat flour, and keep them in the basement freezer out of the way. Drink water, every time you walk into the kitchen. Even if you go there to get something to eat, drink a large glass of water first, that decreases my appetite.

I am trying to increase my exercise routine, (what routine? ). For the past THREE days, oh boy, I have been doing jumping jacks. I do 50 at a time and try to do it several times a day. Just takes a few minutes, can do them anywhere, and I have done them anywhere, waiting in lines, watching the goats eat their grain, did some on the front porch this morning, it was beautiful outside!

Good luck and keep at it!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Okay Sarah, it is a nasty kind of chain reaction, which you need to snap as soon as you can. After starving yourself by skipping a meal or two, of course you feel hungrier than ever and would be ready to scarf down a horse. At first it may be difficult for you if you are "lays potato chips" type of person, but try having 5 or 6 SMALL meals a day, instead of gorging once a day. Once you get into the swing of it, you will be less hungry when the next time to eat comes around, so you wouldn't have the urge to eat too much. It is the same with any kind of bad habits that needs to be fixed, it may be tough at the beginning but you will get used to it sooner than you think, so hang in there just for a while!!

Also if you are reasonably in good health, gear up your exercise routine. Something like bike riding, swimming, working with weights or getting a video or two and learn different dance routines, yoga, tae bo, tai chi etc. The adrenaline rush you get from relatively vigorous exercise will actually temper your appetite, even though you may think otherwise.

Don't get too caught up with those "low cal" or "fat free" products, which often have many other compromises. Just keep your diet balanced, and keep talking to us about how you are getting on... we are always here for support and willing to help you any way we can... good luck and go for it!!
urmaniac my frind! thanks a lot for the support and good advice!i have been trying to adopt frequent small meals a day method!i'm aware of it,and i do succeed with it sometimes,but my problem is i cant seem to stick to one method,i loooooove food,u know lately i've been thinking that i'm suffering from a serious eating disorder actually,food is on my mind most of the time.you will be surprised to know that most ppl compliment me on my figure still.I used to have a very nice figure before the baby.I'm 5 feet,4.And i used to weigh 52 kilos,and now after the baby i'm 60 kilos,which is not bad as everyone around me tells me.But i want to loose at least another 4 kilos.That is why i have been trying to improve the way i eat.it looks like after the baby,the fat around the body is more stubborn and doesnt go away easily!well i'm trying!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Head Chef

i never drink,and the only meats i eat are,chicken,beef,lamb,sea food etc.Chicken most of all.i do eat lots of veggies,lentils greens,and fruits.i love milk,and i drink around 12-15 glasses of water a day.Dont take sodas or other artificial drinks that often.i would for example have coke once or twice a week.I think i'm good with all of this stuff.All of my calorie intake comes from sweets and desserts.I CAN NOT give up chocolate.and yes...i love to excercise and walk.I'm not a lazy person at all.
i guess you must be thinking i'm crazy,and that i dont actually have a problem at all,but i do!i need to be stable in one healthy eating routine and keep excercising and not think about food all the time or that i might get fat one day!