"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oranges with vodka... but not since high school...

shhhh, don't tell my mom.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
Sous Chef

We've had a whole cored pineapple set in vodka and chilled overnight-Lots of happy people with this one-especially when it's hot out.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
Executive Chef

spiced rum into pinapple...but really different and yummy is chartreuse (green) into peaches and pears. really fine
Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
Sous Chef

If by 'inject' you mean drink, and by 'fruit' you mean myself then yes, I do inject fruit with alcohol.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I've always macerated the fruit, but never injected it. That might be something to experiment with...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Went to the first Farm Aid concert back in 1985. They wouldn't let you bring in anything but a bag lunch, forcing you to buy anything extra from the overpriced food and drink hawkers there.

I went with two farmer friends, who conveniently had some large syringes that they used to inject cattle with. We injected several liter bottles of 7Up with vodka and had a wonderful time.

BTW, vodka-injected watermelon left to marinate for awhile and then served in cubes grated with freshly cracked black pepper is divine.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
If by 'inject' you mean drink, and by 'fruit' you mean myself then yes, I do inject fruit with alcohol.
Thanks for the chuckle Haggis- we have some "injected fruits" living here too!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug

I went with two farmer friends, who conveniently had some large syringes that they used to inject cattle with. We injected several liter bottles of 7Up with vodka and had a wonderful time.
That is BRILLIANT!!!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Went to the first Farm Aid concert back in 1985. They wouldn't let you bring in anything but a bag lunch, forcing you to buy anything extra from the overpriced food and drink hawkers there.

BTW, vodka-injected watermelon left to marinate for awhile and then served in cubes grated with freshly cracked black pepper is divine.
Bug, we are friends with a couple that have been to every single Farm Aid, and they also did the watermelon thing at the first one in Champaign, Il. HB and I have been to a few with them, and it was a great time, except for the one in South Carolina where we froze our buns off. Our friend died in January, as a result of contact with Agent Orange in Viet Nam. I don't know if his wife will continue the tradition or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Connie, I haven't been to any of them (I think) since the first one in Champaign, but it still holds good memories for me.

I was still quite a nut for Willie N back then, so seeing him again was great. He used to play at the Illinois State Fair a lot back in those days, so I was used to seeing him fairly often but never got tired of Whiskey River, etc.

BB King, the Beach Boys, Carole King, and surprisingly - Glen Campbell - all put on great performances.

John Mellencamp wearing his old high school FFA jacket.

Neil Young not sounding so whiny in a live concert.