Greek Spirits - Ouzo, Tsipouro & Tsikoudia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
This article just came in from Reuters. Thought it might interest you.

Greeks toast EU ruling that ouzo belongs to them

Thu Oct 26, 8:33 AM ET

Greece said on Wednesday it had won the right to call its trademark anise-flavored aperitif ouzo as an exclusively Greek product after negotiations with the European Union.

The country's Agriculture Ministry said several alcoholic drinks made from grapes or raisins, including ouzo, had been granted geographical protection by the EU. "The minister succeeded after difficult negotiations to register the Greek drinks of ouzo, tsipouro and tsikoudia as geographically protected," it said in a statement following an EU agriculture ministers meeting in Luxemburg. Tsipouro and tsikoudia, are also strong, clear spirits made in Greece. "This means that nobody outside Greece can make ouzo and call it that," a ministry official told Reuters. "Only Greece can make ouzo and use the name."

The official said Greece has also granted fellow EU member Cyprus the right to make ouzo when it joined in 2004. Cyprus is divided along ethnic lines since 1974 and its Greek-Cypriot government is the only one recognized internationally.

The EU has previously granted brand protection to other drinks and food products such as Cognac and Champagne from France and Italy's Gorgonzola and Parmesan cheeses.

does that mean i've been drinking pouzo, not ouzo? (like pleather)

i think i'm gonna be tsik...

Hey what about Raki? Had one too many of those with a Greek Priest one night. ( Yes...Paul was there too) :)

pdswife said:
Hey what about Raki? Had one too many of those with a Greek Priest one night. ( Yes...Paul was there too) :)

It's my understanding is that Raki is the Turkish version of Ouzo.

The licorice flavor is very popular in the region for booze. There's sambouca, raki, ouzo and others I can't recall.

A toast to Ouzo! Wonderful stuff...
I've had Raki, but I've also had some Lebanese stuff called "Arak" (sp?) which is similar.
Here in the sub-tropics, anise based licors are just called "Anís". Simple name, highly potent punch:huh: :huh: :LOL:

Andy M. said:
It's my understanding is that Raki is the Turkish version of Ouzo.

The licorice flavor is very popular in the region for booze. There's sambouca, raki, ouzo and others I can't recall.

I'm not sure Andy all I know is that we were on a Greek island and our host at the hotel and his cousin the priest brought out a bottle of their home made raki and.... well...that's all I know. lol:) They gave us some to bring home with us and it remains un opened up in the cupboard.

Trish, Andy & Clive are right. Ouzo, Raki, Arak and Sambuka are all varients of the same drink essentially. You can add the Greek Tsipouro and maybe the French Pastiche to the group. They are all potent drinks with alcoholic content of around 40%. Typically, they are distillates of wine and wine byproducts (eg. stems, skins, seeds etc that are leftover after the fermentation of wine). The flavouring is mostly anise seed which is added in the distillation pot during the final distillation. Because a lot of them are homemade products, each distiller's recipe may vary somewhat. In addition, unflavoured varieties (eg. the Cretan Tsikoudia) as well as otherwise - flavoured varieties (eg. flavoured with Mastiha) can be found. A common characteristic of all of the flavoured varieties is that when water is added to the drink, it becomes milky or at least cloudy.

Locals take such drinks accompanied with 'mezes' (appetizers) which make them easier on the body. Tourists accustomed to having their drinks without food may become tipsy very quickly and even develop adverse reactions to the stuff.

Volos, the Greek city where I live is famous for its hundreds of establishments that serve exclusively Ouzo or Tsipouro with 'mezes.' Such an establishment is called either 'Ouzeri' or 'Tsipouradiko.' They are heavily patronised by locals and tourists alike and they are the most economical ways to eat while enjoying a tremendous variety of appetizers. Some of their patrons may even be non-drinkers who simply enjoy the food and the ambience while passing their share of Tsipouro or Ouzo to the drinking members of their group.

Zorba the Greek

Remember Anthony Quinn? In the movie he was always talking and drinking this. I don't think they drink real stuff in the movies, do you? How would they remember their lines? Also was in movie when he carried the cross for Jesus. didn't have anythin in that movie. Am I telling my age?

Your post is very interesting but I do remember years ago when my girlfriend Bobbie and I were visiting the Greek Islands and the ship served raki.

It has been a long time ago but I think that was what it was called. We also had Ouzo on board the ship and we both liked it.

Back
Top Bottom